The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JWirz
not meaning to brag but i just got accepted for a Goldsmiths Interview.
..............:rolleyes:

and BRAVO to mhlc for getting the Slade interview

Lol, congrats! When's your interview? Mine is the 20th of March.
Reply 541
princeling when is your interview ^^
Original post by JWirz
princeling when is your interview ^^

Lol look at the post above; I just replied to you.
Reply 543
i see that now, dire error, same day man, see ya there
Reply 544
Hi! I'd really like some advice on foundation courses (I can already tell this is quite a heated topic on this thread!)
I've received an unconditional offer for the Fine Art BA at Kent, and a place on Loughborough's foundation course, after they reviewed my portfolios.
I'm still waiting on Edinburgh, Reading and UCL for degree courses and Central Saint Martin's for a foundation.
If I get offers from Reading or UCL, I really want to accept them, because I love the unis and the courses they offer, but if I don't get offers from them, I'm considering UAL and Loughborough's foundations, even though I'm quite keen on Kent.
Could someone that's done a foundation please answer some of my questions? I'd really really appreciate it! :smile:

1. How are they taught? Is it big group work, or small tutorials?
2. Is there more focus on your skills and technique, rather than the development of concepts/ideas?
3. Did your foundation course help you choose the specific art degree course that you wanted? (e.g. Graphic design/Fine Art/Ceramics etc.) - and did it change your mind on what medium you originally thought you were good at/enjoyed the most?
4. Is there a big focus on tutor-led development, or was it very self-directed?
5. What was your favourite aspects of the course/what made it beneficial for you?
6. Why did you decide to take a foundation course, and why do you think it help you develop better than your a level did?

I like the fact that during a foundation I wouldn't have to worry about my other subjects, like during my a levels. It's also really encouraging that the course itself is free (apart from accomodation/living expenses etc.)

I originally applied to foundation courses as a 'backup plan' incase I didn't get onto any degree courses, but now that I've heard so much good stuff about them I'm unsure!

Any help/advice would be much appreciated - Thanks! :smile:
Original post by S'mores

2. Is there more focus on your skills and technique, rather than the development of concepts/ideas?
3. Did your foundation course help you choose the specific art degree course that you wanted? (e.g. Graphic design/Fine Art/Ceramics etc.) - and did it change your mind on what medium you originally thought you were good at/enjoyed the most?
5. What was your favourite aspects of the course/what made it beneficial for you?
6. Why did you decide to take a foundation course, and why do you think it help you develop better than your a level did?

Here's my answers hope they help :smile:
They are based on doing my foundation year this year at Kensington & Chelsea College

1) In the first half of the year we did group crits of about 30 people. We are encouraged to experimentas much as possible, we are given smaller tutorial groups who we meet up with every week to discuss how we are doing, mainly we are working to set briefs. We work individually but are doing crits at the end and supposedly talking to each other about our work. We get paired up for just one short project to show we are working with others and collaborating, but it's mainly all about our own development. Then after December get to choose a pathway (Fashion, Visual Comm, 3D, Graphic Design & Illustration, Textiles, Fine Art). Then our tutorial group changes to a small group of others taking the same pathway and a tutor who specializes in our chosen path.

2) I'd say my foundation was ALL about the development of concepts/ideas and experimentation, and building skill is a personal extra option if we want.

3) The foundation confirmed that I should be doing Fine Art for me, definitely, but it was very beneficial to see the other pathways in order to know I was making an informed and correct career choice. It's helped me explore all the mediums sand i'm still open to them all and excited by possibilities. And my portfolio is much better and more thematic.

4) The first half of the year was much more tutor led and supported (though still encouraging personal interests). The second half after December is more self directed particularly if you choose Fine Art, where we have to write our own briefs and plan what we're going to do. Though tutorials still regular and support still given.

5) Everything was beneficial to me because I realized before I was more narrow minded and non academically trained in what it takes to think like an artist. It's very broad and I love how you can tie in all personal interests with Fine Art in order to learn exactly what you want to learn. It's very self-expressive so you get to learn more about yourself as well as your chosen creative field.

6) I took a foundation simply because I really knew I wanted to be an artist and couldn't possibly make a living doing anything else, and I know it is the modern requirement for progression onto the best art courses. I did not take an art A Level and only got a C in GCSE art, but I took a national diploma in Graphic Design. I really went off of this career path and taking a foundation was the only option to open up my career and learning prospects. I applied for several art courses last year and the year before and got rejected because of the lack of foundation. I took a distance foundation art course too and failed, so I don't recommend that, really recommend taking a full time foundation, on top of everything it's a lot of fun and doesn't feel so much like working or going to school.
PS If it's free for you (it wasn't for me as I was a mature student, so it cost nearly £3000) GO FOR IT, is my advice, it's an amazing year and you will make a better uni choice and get into the best you can. It is worth every penny and really worth a year of your life, i promise!
Reply 547
Original post by S'mores
Hi! I'd really like some advice on foundation courses (I can already tell this is quite a heated topic on this thread!)
I've received an unconditional offer for the Fine Art BA at Kent, and a place on Loughborough's foundation course, after they reviewed my portfolios.
I'm still waiting on Edinburgh, Reading and UCL for degree courses and Central Saint Martin's for a foundation.
If I get offers from Reading or UCL, I really want to accept them, because I love the unis and the courses they offer, but if I don't get offers from them, I'm considering UAL and Loughborough's foundations, even though I'm quite keen on Kent.
Could someone that's done a foundation please answer some of my questions? I'd really really appreciate it! :smile:

I like the fact that during a foundation I wouldn't have to worry about my other subjects, like during my a levels. It's also really encouraging that the course itself is free (apart from accomodation/living expenses etc.)

I originally applied to foundation courses as a 'backup plan' incase I didn't get onto any degree courses, but now that I've heard so much good stuff about them I'm unsure!

When I was interviewed at LCA for foundation, which I applied to last min as a 'back up' I was told that you get 4 days per week taught workshop sessions, one morning of private study and one afternoon of lectures, per week (normally) for the the first 6 weeks. After that we get 4 days of taught/lectures and then 1 day of independent study. I was also told that about 70% start foundations wanting to do fine art but only about 20% end up applying for fine art degrees. The group sizes will be reasonably small because its ridiculous to try and get everyone in a workshop at any one time. And the guy was talking about this critical journal thing loads as being something great for interviews but I already have one our a level teacher suggested really early on to make one for ourselves that wouldnt necessarily benefit our grade. I got the impression that it would be a repeat of the taught 'workshops' that we all do at the start of a level except with workshops in other art areas too. Though I might be wrong. With 4 days taught it sounded even more restrictive than A Level where at the moment I have 5 hours taught (one day) and 12 hours independent study in the studio (two and half days) and I only have 7 hours of other subjects taught plus one tutorial a week.

The good things though were the fact that they have everything. Not all degree programmes have studios/workshops for every medium some dont have print rooms, dark rooms ect and foundation allows you to try them which might make you decide to pick different universities. However, deispite hearing loads of people changing there minds on which creative path to take. I dont think I would. LCA looks like a really down to earth pplace though and for that reason I wouldnt mind going. I still havent yet been convinced to take a foundation rather than accept degree offers. Its certainly a good thing but i'm not sure yet if its absolutely essential for everyone.

What is Kent like, I've not heard about there art course. Didnt even know they did art. The place is pretty though.
Reply 548
Original post by joverbena
Received an unsuccessful update for CSM Fine Art in the early hours..... damn it. :frown:

Is that BA fine art? I havent heard form them yet. But then again I dont hhave a foundation and I was told in usual circumstances i'd be rejected. I like taking risks though, and I like the unusual Hahah
Fair play Joel- risk taking is good! It's really worrying to hear people are getting interviews at Slade :frown: Have they been sending emails or letters? :0
Reply 550
Original post by pongalo
Aaahhh, i wish i'd done that and not spent £50 on train tickets :P Congratualtions!! I don't suppose you care when they looked it now you've got an interview :smile:

My train ticket was £196. Damn the morning rush hour and the mainline! Hahah
Original post by joelchan
Is that BA fine art? I havent heard form them yet. But then again I dont hhave a foundation and I was told in usual circumstances i'd be rejected. I like taking risks though, and I like the unusual Hahah

yes twas BA fine art. was my favourite school so a bit fist-shakey over it, but better than no answer at all sort of... guessing i'll get a rejection from goldsmiths soon... really relying on the wimbledon interview going well now..
(edited 12 years ago)

f**k that! wow you are a crazy one! :tongue: (ps. In a very good way!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JWirz
i see that now, dire error, same day man, see ya there

Cheers! I'm at 4PM, when's yours?

Original post by mhlc
Got an interview for slade! any idea on when chelsea or Edinburgh let people know?

So jealous, congratulations! Any online portfolio for us to have a look at? :redface:

Original post by S'mores

Last year, I applied for all of the big unis without a foundation - mistake! Not just because my work was still A-levelish and my practice was completely undeveloped, but because I didn't realise just how much a foundation prepares you - at least the one I'm doing at Kingston, which is fantastic.

1. It depends on whether you're doing Fine Art, Communication, Fashion or 3D Design, but obvs you're going for fine art - in fine art, we do a few initial projects (this is after a long 6-8 week diagnostic stage where you do all the different subjects and try out everything) together with briefs and then we're free to develop our artistic practice as we like. Studio time is expected five days a week, but Wednesdays are freer. We have two tutors who give excellent advice on our work and ESPECIALLY university advice and how to present portfolios, etc. Basically, how much you get out of the course is how much you put into it, but it IS a very good course and I've developed unbelievably since September because of it. We all work independently in two studio spaces (that are adjoined) but every few weeks we come together for a crit, possibly splitting into two groups, discussing each other's work, etc.

2. No, it's pretty much all about development of your concepts/ideas. The tutors will be very unimpressed if you simply want to draw pretty pictures from photo references, haha. There is no need to develop style - according to one of my tutors, style should be developed in an MA, not BA. But we get inductions to the 3D workshop (which is absolutely fantastic in Kingston, by the way), printing workshop and photography workshop, as well as a moving image one and a casting one. Next week we have the opportunity to work with an artist in his work, which is very rarely offered.

3. I was pretty set on doing Fine Art right from the start, but it was very good to test my strengths and made me realise the strict differences between communication (graphic design, illustration, moving image) and fine art, the main one of which is the use and guidance of briefs in communication and the lack of that in fine art. You need to be very independent and know exactly what you're doing to achieve success in this course. Plenty of people have switched from their original course choice though.

4. It's pretty self-led, but then again, I'm pretty independent. The tutors have tutorials with you every now and then and check up on your work, maybe give some advice on universities and artists to look up - and we have contextual studies once a week to learn/present some contemporary art background, etc. If you want their help, you can seek it, of course. Up until now, at least one of the tutors have been in the studio every day except for Wednesday, from here onwards they'll only come in two days a week, so. Independent, I'd say. We also have free/discounted gallery visits every now and then as well, i.e. the David Hockney on at the Royal Academy right now.

5. The opportunity to develop your artistic practice with little distraction is priceless. Don't underestimate the need to do so; even if you get into a good university without one, the ones who have done a foundation will be far ahead in both strength of portfolio and their ideas.

6. Because I realised I needed it. Everyone does, whether they recognise it or not. It's only been about half a year but I've already done a 360 degree turn in terms of maturation of my concepts. A-level helps you learn nothing and the work you do is restricted to certain set out themes/concepts, which is exactly what universities don't want to see. They're a million miles apart, and often we can spot an A-level student just from the type of portfolio they have. :tongue:

Seriously, I would really consider doing a foundation course. I applied late last year when I realised this and I only got to apply to City & Guilds and Kingston: got accepted to both but IMO Kingston is one of the best foundations out there. CSM = not so much. They've integrated it all into one foundation but they have around 700 something students, not many tutors and crappy studio space (heard from someone actually on the course right now).

Hope this helps!
Reply 554
Original post by randombelle
Fair play Joel- risk taking is good! It's really worrying to hear people are getting interviews at Slade :frown: Have they been sending emails or letters? :0

Same! and I assume letters, its more formal that way :L but no one is replying to you hahah. How are your other choices going?

Holy ****, lol! :eek: Just imagining all the art supplies I could have bought with £196... :colonhash: You're dedicated, man.
What is Kent like, I've not heard about there art course. Didnt even know they did art. The place is pretty though.

I got an offer this year too, and its my second choice after glasgow, fine art at kent is ranked well (i know tht doesnt really mean much) and it's based on a historic dockyard which i thought was quite cool and are free to use as part of ur work, everyone gets really good sized studio space and they invested like £7 million so brand new facilities and refurbished grade 2 listed buildings for students from sept 2012, which im quite excited about because it includes new photography and film suites+ darkrooms. plus they only accept like 50 students nd have a year abroad option.

oops, just realised tht i sound like a brochure, but yeah, thts kent and why i like it :smile:
Original post by OliviaBambrough
Ive applied for Leeds uni and not Leeds College of art :smile: If you applied to Leeds uni have you heard anything yet ?

Yeah me too, I only sent my portfolio off on Wednesday though.
congratulations any more interviews for Goldsmiths? Anybody heards from the FA + Art History? ... losing hope now that people are hearing back eeek :frown:

I got one of their 'preparing to study' bog standard spam mails earlier, so we're probably still being considered. Hopefully anyway, I'm praying for an interview!
Reply 559
f**k that! wow you are a crazy one! :tongue: (ps. In a very good way!)

I noticed you followed me on twitter. Dont judge me for things I say will you (especially things about food/cake) :L

Quick Reply

Latest