Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by randombelle
Interview at Lancaster and Offer from Bristol!!!!!!! :smile:

Congrats!! :hug:
Reply 61
Original post by irina793
So sorry to hear that :frown: Did you have your interview upstairs or downstairs?

Upstairs, I think the blonde woman wanted to tear out my insides. How about you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Phlan
Upstairs, I think the blonde woman wanted to tear out my insides. How about you?

downstairs. Yeah, I heard the upstairs people were rough. :frown: I'm sorry you didn't get in, but London's better anyways. (in my interviews, they insisted a lot on why oxford and not London, so I think they know it too :lol:)
Reply 63
downstairs. Yeah, I heard the upstairs people were rough. :frown: I'm sorry you didn't get in, but London's better anyways. (in my interviews, they insisted a lot on why oxford and not London, so I think they know it too :lol:)

Heh, what did you say? Did they ask you anything about art history or theory?
I wasn't sure that I wanted to do Fine art anyway so I think I'll just go do a foundation year.
I dunno if I'd reapply next year.

I was wondering if I could see your portfolio? I didn't get a chance to see anyone
elses when I was there
Reply 64
Original post by Phlan
Heh, what did you say? Did they ask you anything about art history or theory?
I wasn't sure that I wanted to do Fine art anyway so I think I'll just go do a foundation year.
I dunno if I'd reapply next year.

I was wondering if I could see your portfolio? I didn't get a chance to see anyone
elses when I was there

I discussed my influences a little bit, but that was about it. And sure, here's a link to my flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/70167756@N08/
Do you have an online portfolio by any chance?
Reply 65
I discussed my influences a little bit, but that was about it. And sure, here's a link to my flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/70167756@N08/

Yeah, I'll PM it to you.
Reply 66

I love that melon core photo series, it's beautiful and that oil on water universe piece. Oh and I think that metropolis piece is really clever. Love that red on black: it's very striking.

Congrats on getting the offer by the way :smile: I can see why you did!
Reply 69
Please join the slade stalking page, everyone needs to upload there portfolios :smile:
Reply 71
Has anyone already sent a miniportfoilo to CMS, but still received a portfolio deadline reminder through email? I sent mine a while ago but i'm now questioning whether its been received or not.
To all those applying for Fine Art @ Lancaster....make sure you know what they are offering; there are changes afoot. What is seen on the LICA website is not to be believed. There are proposals to cut the studio time change the core module and seemingly make it a creative arts course with a bit of fine art. Now, that might suit a lot of people but might not quite be what others are expecting...
Reply 73
Original post by wiseoldbird
To all those applying for Fine Art @ Lancaster....make sure you know what they are offering; there are changes afoot. What is seen on the LICA website is not to be believed. There are proposals to cut the studio time change the core module and seemingly make it a creative arts course with a bit of fine art. Now, that might suit a lot of people but might not quite be what others are expecting...

They already have a separate Creative Art Degree. It depends which course you choose.
Yes, you're right but they seem to be bringing all the contemporary arts (theatre, music, film & fine art), together with a combined cross-arts course called LICA 100 (or 200 in the second year) at the expense of art history module and studio practice so that you end up studying music, theatre, film even if you sign up for fine art, which might be ok for some but not what others have in mind...
Reply 75
hi, congrats to everyone with interviews :smile: i was just wondering... i've applied to three unis, UCL, CSM and Chelsea... but not sure what my other option should be... i was thinking between Edinburgh and Goldsmiths, but thing is... they are so tough to get in as well as all the other unis... so not sure whether to go for it and possibly not get any offers, or put in a crappy course... help? lol
Reply 76
Original post by rusla
hi, congrats to everyone with interviews :smile: i was just wondering... i've applied to three unis, UCL, CSM and Chelsea... but not sure what my other option should be... i was thinking between Edinburgh and Goldsmiths, but thing is... they are so tough to get in as well as all the other unis... so not sure whether to go for it and possibly not get any offers, or put in a crappy course... help? lol

Do you have a foundation? If not then Goldsmiths wont consider you anyway. Edinburgh requires you to be predicted AAA If you read the 'additional info' bit even though they offer BBB. It might be worth a shot though. Newcastle is good too. If your scared then i'd take an insurance as well, one thats easier to get into, like Kingston, Reading or Brighton. Still highly ranked but less competitive than the other your looking at.
Original post by rusla

Original post by joelchan
Do you have a foundation? If not then Goldsmiths wont consider you anyway. Edinburgh requires you to be predicted AAA If you read the 'additional info' bit even though they offer BBB. It might be worth a shot though. Newcastle is good too. If your scared then i'd take an insurance as well, one thats easier to get into, like Kingston, Reading or Brighton. Still highly ranked but less competitive than the other your looking at.

Sorry to butt in here, but if you are going to to for an insurance instead of a harder one, I wouldn't go for Kingston, Reading or Brighton. Especially not Brighton...Their Fine Art Painting course seems near-impossible to get onto, even though it isn't ranked as highly as places like UCL etc. I mean...it's in Brighton, for one thing. Also, if you don't have a foundation, I wouldn't bother because you're basically supposed to have one. They say they under "special circumstances" or something they might consider someone from A-Level, but it's highly unlikely they actually would considering the number of applicants they have that have actually done a foundation.

I'm doing a foundation at the moment, and nearly everyone who's applying for Fine Art has Brighton as one of their five (you know you get five, right? It sounds like you were just thinking of four). I do, too, but I don't expect to get in. Their Printmaking course is apparently a bit easier, because less people apply for it.

Still, my point is that if you are going to apply to an insurance, I'd look at places like Loughborough, Leeds College of Art, Leeds Met, Sheffield, Manchester Met...It all really depends on whether you want to risk not getting offers, like you said. I wouldn't say that every other course is "crappy", though. You can get good courses at less popular places...And in the end, the course will be what you make of it. Someone might get into UCL and do "worse" than someone who went to Loughborough in terms of what they get out of it, depending on how much effort they make.

Anyway, sorry about the semi-rant :wink: I guess if you really want to go to uni next year, add in an easier option or two. If you could stand not getting in and applying again the year after with better work, go for the higher ones.
hey guys, quick question here, is it true that UCL Slade is more final-piece-based and doesn't emphasise as much on development work? because i'm a wee bit concerned with how many sketchbook images i should put in my portfolio :/
Reply 79
Original post by novskayaxev
hey guys, quick question here, is it true that UCL Slade is more final-piece-based and doesn't emphasise as much on development work? because i'm a wee bit concerned with how many sketchbook images i should put in my portfolio :/

Just put them in, they'll look at as much as they wont to and if they dont wont to read at sketch books then they'll just flick though.

Quick Reply

Latest