The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KED
:eek: Eeek - sorry have to disagree with you there, the stats just dont bare out what you say - overwhelming numbers of students from independent schools get into the 'best' universities, add to that vast numbers of overseas students who (simply because it costs a damn fortune) also come from priviledged backgrounds......... at those Unis, privately educated students do not constitute a minority group.

I know state school students (3 personal friends) who went to Oxbridge and came out emotional wrecks, their confidence smashed to pieces - the atmosphere is definately one where you either have to 'fit in' to the pomp and ceremony or else suffer being an outsider - thats being stigmatised.

In terms of the elite art colleges, the same applies .....

Having said that, theres plenty of independent school students who've had a miserable time, were singled out and bullied or just never fit in - they're just a bit more likely to come out of it with a string of A's and A*s in the end than a state school student (therefore still gaining an advantage for the elite uni's)!

I went to state school , FE college - dropped out, have no A-levels and have worked since I was 18 (dont you just love the term 'mature student' :rolleyes:) - but art is not and shouldnt be about qualifications and while there is a snobby elitism in the art world, theres plenty of artists from more wealthy backrounds who reject that - I judge people on what they do, how they act, not where they come from.

I like what you say! I'm one of those students who would have flourished in State School. When at my last school, it was so snobby and stuck up that I couldn't be myself- i was aiming for medicine...(that would've been a mistake!) I ended up dropping out with depression and had to restart a levels elsewhere- at a small independent quaker school near where I live!( best mood I ever made!)
The only reason I went to private school was because the state schools where I live aren't great and I got music scholarships!
Original post by randombelle
Put it this way, although my list of schools says, marlborough, badminton, Millfield, Wells Cathedral School and Sidcot- I'm not proud.

Just because I have been to some of the best independent schools doesn't make me any different to people who attended State schools- I sure wish I had attended a state school.

Uni wise- I think that privately educated students are actually at a disadvantage because we are in the minority of students generally and there is a stigma surrounding private schools. :smile:

don't put yourself down for going to some of the best schools! just because you did doesn't mean you should be apologetic - you're still an individual in the end who has to work hard.
Original post by joverbena
don't put yourself down for going to some of the best schools! just because you did doesn't mean you should be apologetic - you're still an individual in the end who has to work hard.

thanks! -some people have the complete opposite opinion- they feel that because you are supposedly 'posh' you turn into an alienated snob who's like some preppy robot with no personality!! :tongue:
Reply 783
Original post by dayzzz
I did :smile: sooo happy, really like it there, anyone else??

What course?
Reply 784
does anyone know when the interviews actually happen either for chelsea, glasgow or edinburgh?
Original post by mhlc
does anyone know when the interviews actually happen either for chelsea, glasgow or edinburgh?

glasgow starts interviewing tomorrow and goes all the way through march and maybe even a bit of april as they are still handing out invitations, and some departments are getting things sorted a bit more quickly than others.
Original post by mhlc

Chelsea should be in March, but mine is late April. :/
Reply 787
Please guess who is from a private school!

Not me ducky!
Reply 788
Put it this way, although my list of schools says, marlborough, badminton, Millfield, Wells Cathedral School and Sidcot- I'm not proud.

Just because I have been to some of the best independent schools doesn't make me any different to people who attended State schools- I sure wish I had attended a state school.

Uni wise- I think that privately educated students are actually at a disadvantage because we are in the minority of students generally and there is a stigma surrounding private schools. :smile:

Yes, well I thought I would flush you out. You are over-egoed and flamboyantly up the rampant arrogance of your class. No wonder you are so obsessed with Slade!.. at a disadvantage from going to a private school... what a joke. Probably rather talentless if that's the best you can do.

My more subtle point was about the fact that the so called top Unis always go for this sort of student! It is the same in medicine, law and all sorts of subjects where it's not about talent but the purchasing power of the parents.
Reply 789
LOL all this private school, state school, argument. I don't think art works this way, but, OH WELL
Reply 790
Anyone else **** a brick whenever they receive an email and realize its not from Track?
Reply 791
I like what you say! I'm one of those students who would have flourished in State School. When at my last school, it was so snobby and stuck up that I couldn't be myself- i was aiming for medicine...(that would've been a mistake!) I ended up dropping out with depression and had to restart a levels elsewhere- at a small independent quaker school near where I live!( best mood I ever made!)
The only reason I went to private school was because the state schools where I live aren't great and I got music scholarships!

QED. Poor little rich girl. Couldn#t make it into med school or music. Using a lack of talent to buy into uni to find a partner who can.
Reply 792
The best artists were extremely poor at one point, were they not? (actually a lot already came from privileged homes)and I think, having not been brought up with a silver spoon in my mouth and not given everything in life, It kind of gives me a lot of drive.
I think the poorer have a different perspective, and I think, maybe a more important and critical perspective on the world around us? yes? no?
Also more of a story and experiences to tell ?

I find that there is a big rift between the middle and working classes at the moment.
In the end though, most of us are more privileged than the next person, its not like we're from third world countries, and most of us have this opportunity to study such a subject as art in London.
If that's not already snobby enough as it is
Reply 793
Also Photography students might be a completely different case, how could they afford such expensive cameras at such young ages?
Just an observation
Reply 794
Original post by Soares
The best artists were extremely poor at one point, were they not? (actually a lot already came from privileged homes)and I think, having not been brought up with a silver spoon in my mouth and not given everything in life, It kind of gives me a lot of drive.
I think the poorer have a different perspective, and I think, maybe a more important and critical perspective on the world around us? yes? no?

I find that there is a big rift between the middle and working classes at the moment.
In the end though, most of us are more privileged than the next person, its not like we're from third world countries, and most of us have this opportunity to study such a subject as art in London.

Good points. Agreed about third world countries. Not like I have had any choice in the matter as a 17 year old. Went to comprehensive and then College.

At least I know what I am is what I am, and not the product of some class system. More's the pity that the University system in this country doesn't know better. Mr Gove's idea of sending the brightest working class children to Independant schools smacks of simply giving up on education for the masses, which is where my beef comes from. Surely, we should stop the elitism and enable real talent to come out from where it originates.

Sadly, the universities perpetuate elistism by disregarding circumstances, which is why the randoms of this world will always not have to face the realities of their advantages, and even present it as disadvantage, which is a relative mind shift we can all understand, even if we can't get why some uni's do it.
Reply 795
Original post by doodlekin
QED. Poor little rich girl. Couldn#t make it into med school or music. Using a lack of talent to buy into uni to find a partner who can.

WOW, bitter much ?! :rolleyes: Not everyone who went to private school is an *******, like everywhere - some are *****, some arent...... I certainly knew some ***** in my state school (and racists, and homophobes, and snobs).....

You do a big diservice to any fight for more equality with your bitter put downs - I agree that there is massive inequality in education and YES you can buy your way to the best unis BUT no one chooses to be born to the parents we were born with - we DO choose whether to stand against inequality or not and there's plenty of people from priviledged backgrounds who choose to fight for whats right and plenty of people from poorer backgrounds who turn into arrogent, snobby ***** who vote Tory - get some perspective.

Unfortunately though, this is a very relevent discussion in terms of Art - there is huge inequalities, sexism, racism etc in the art 'world' - forcing myself to go to the various (non public) galleries is often painful - sets my teeth on edge listening to the facile and snobbish 'chat' going on around me, makes me want to rip my hair out in frustration!

lol :smile: just saw how many of my words were *bleeped out*!
Original post by Soares

Same here for the first bit, i was a young carer and my mum schizophrenic,it was just me and her for my childhood so it was quite traumatic and we were poor, i used to make her art to cheer her up if she got in a violent mood! so grateful to be at the point i am now, and it helps you see all fringes of society when you come from the bottom, which i think is an advantage for art. i also have things I want to say now due to all the anger about injustice.

BUT I don't think you have to come from a poor background at ALL to be a great artist and I really don't get where all the personal hatred is coming from. Saying the 'disadvantaged' thing was a bit of a silly thing from randombelle to say, but I think it's no wonder due to feeling defensive with some judgmental nastiness in this thread clearly directed towards her, it's just weak, grow some manners and worry about yourself.. judging somebody based on their background is pathetic either way and what you are saying doodlekin just looks like bullying! I did not feel randombelle was being arrogant or intimidating in anyway, i don't favour the slade at all, so just ignore the whole subject and respect other people's choices! and unis that go for a 'certain type of student' i think is becoming outdated, there are some occasionally preferences like lots of development sheets with Goldsmiths, but i really do doubt there is a posh personality criteria
Reply 797
Nothing embittered about me. I just see what I see, and say what needs to be said.

In fact I have an elder sister who literally ran away from a very famous girls school after a term, in the private sector when she was 11, so yes, children do have a choice if they have a brain.

She is a talented musician, and was then too: I have no sympathy for twenty somethings strutting their stuff though, crying about their "dreadful" circumstrances as they tried to find themselves in a cushioned environment.
Reply 798
money = power

It doesn't say, More money = More power.

We're already using the power by putting our money into making art and funding for our studies.

Actually someone once said, more money more problems lol.

I think the money you have needs to be placed well, and the poorest people are those who spend their money on smoking, drinking, magazines, and general low culture. These will always be poor, and have less power.
Original post by doodlekin
Nothing embittered about me. I just see what I see, and say what needs to be said.

In fact I have an elder sister who literally ran away from a very famous girls school after a term, in the private sector when she was 11, so yes, children do have a choice if they have a brain.

She is a talented musician, and was then too: I have no sympathy for twenty somethings strutting their stuff though, crying about their "dreadful" circumstrances as they tried to find themselves in a cushioned environment.

Well you certainly caught attention with your words but I don't agree, and good on your sister for running away if she felt right about it at the time, you have talent or you don't and although good tutoring helps sometimes, the system can't take it away as much as it can't give it.

And I've met many students like that, who do indeed nauseate me managing to float along on ungratefully, still rubbish writers even though they've had the best most expensive education, and expecting unreasonable attention completely ignorant to the fact that they are mediocre. sometimes you just have to laugh, grit your teeth and carry on, think it's more effective to ignore them and react in work rather than dig out personal insults. but just the fact that somebody from an independent school would post in this thread shows that they are trying harder and care more than some who just assume they are going to be accepted into a hot school with little effort, because their parents have led them to believe life's easy and the world revolves around them...

Quick Reply

Latest