Poll: Which one's the worst in your opinion?
AQA (162)
37.33%
Edexcel (105)
24.19%
OCR (167)
38.48%
senz72
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Which one do you think is the worst exam board for GCSEs?

I personally think AQA is the worst, because of the English (lang. and lit.) courses they do. The exams are utter bull**** and the grade boundaries are just fricking annoying, particularly when only 10% get an A or an A* in English language.

Feel free to voice your opinions

P.S. I apologise beforehand to all students for not including WJEC.
ITomI
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
OCR is horrible. The specification changes completely screwed up our year, and consequently I find D&T:Graphics exams really difficult, and the new OCR R.E I'm going to fail.

AQA is my favourite. Seems the 'fairest'
Edexcel are OK. The English examinations are a bit repetitive though.
senz72
Rep:
?
(Original post by ITomI)
OCR is horrible. The specification changes completely screwed up our year, and consequently I find D&T:Graphics exams really difficult, and the new OCR R.E I'm going to fail.

AQA is my favourite. Seems the 'fairest'
Edexcel are OK. The English examinations are a bit repetitive though.
Thanks mate, have you done your exams?
ITomI
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No I'm doing them at the moment, but from the year 10 papers I can tell I do not like OCRs way of examination
Origins
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
OCR is by far the worst for me - taking Add. Maths and I'll be happy with a D (same day as Geography... which I'd rather get A* in). Edexcel is pretty good - their Maths is relatively easy and WJEC is just piss when it comes to some subjects.
Rocker94
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think you missed an option All of the above.......
Baddream
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Edexcel sucks because it's hard finding past papers & stuff; you have to have a password + username.
OCR also sucks because they have really high grade boundaries.
AQA is rubbish because they always ask questions that are barely relevant to the syllabus.

So, to sum up, they're all utter crap!
sharmine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
well i only do edexcel for R.E and it is just so tedious and OCR would be the hardest i think out of the 3 because it is harder to pick up marks than the likes of AQA..
KatieKate
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
WHY IS WJEC NOT HERE they are the evil ones grr grr grr hate WJEC grr grr
ChessMister
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I do AQA, WJEC & OCR. AQA style is definitely the hardest
iamthestig
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by KatieKate)
WHY IS WJEC NOT HERE they are the evil ones grr grr grr hate WJEC grr grr
I agree, more so after today's Spanish listening, which IMHO was dreadful, and the RS Roman Catholicism paper was a bit iffy too.
domjohnson
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't really have anything against any of them. Yet. Although Edexcel do DiDA, right? Thats a pointless qualification.
Louweeze
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
After doing biology A-level I would say that in my experience, AQA are the most unreliable and unfair exam board I have ever taken an exam with! How can someone who consistently does well and revises hard go from getting an A in June to an E (Only one mark above a U may i add) in the space of few months? It wasn't even a difficult paper! ARGH they frustrate me lol! Our Unit 4 results were chaos, in my class there were A* students failing, and failing students getting A's!
domjohnson
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Louweeze)
How can someone who consistently does well and revises hard go from getting an A in June to an E in the space of few months? It wasn't even a difficult paper!
You answered it yourself. Grade boundaries change. Although, that wouldn't explain the "failing students getting As".
steff11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
WJEC !
Louweeze
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by domjohnson)
You answered it yourself. Grade boundaries change. Although, that wouldn't explain the "failing students getting As".
Yeah the grade boundaries were like 3 marks apart- insane. I mean i know they change the boundaries to suit every exam but clearly it doesn't seem to be very accurate, its not representative of the level that students are actually performing at!
hairy ballsack
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
WJEC English is utter penis munch.

However, I did WJEC spanish today and it was piss.
Rational Paradox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Edexcel A2 History is a *****
(:Becca(:
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
AQA. I ****ing hate AQA.
I do OCR politics and Edexcel history and I find both of those ok.
senz72
Rep:
?
(Original post by Louweeze)
Yeah the grade boundaries were like 3 marks apart- insane. I mean i know they change the boundaries to suit every exam but clearly it doesn't seem to be very accurate, its not representative of the level that students are actually performing at!
For AQA English, they don't change the boundaries, I think they claim to do, but it's been the same for the past couple of years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (294)
65.63%
No (154)
34.38%

Watched Threads