Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i live in england but don't really know very much about the university system.

however, my cousin from sri lanka wants to know about applying to universities here. just the general logistics- what she would have to do etc.

i realise this i a v unclear question but her words are : "If I come to England is it possible for me to get into a university or college to continue higher studies? Please let me know what you know about these things."

any information would be welcome

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but she has to spend at least four years in some form of service trade, such as stripping or circus juggling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydreaming)
    i live in england but don't really know very much about the university system.

however, my cousin from sri lanka wants to know about applying to universities here. just the general logistics- what she would have to do etc.

i realise this i a v unclear question but her words are : "If I come to England is it possible for me to get into a university or college to continue higher studies? Please let me know what you know about these things."

any information would be welcome
    I, coming from Australia and knowing no-one who was applying to anywhere in UK, did a lot of research first of where I'd like to go, then I emailed most the universities I was interested in, and asked what they wanted me to do. Then I got in contact with the British Council (they should have a branch in Sri Lanka), who helped me understand the UCAS system.

However, if you or your cousin should need any help, don't hesitate to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    isnt there extra costs for overseas students?

ReputationRep:
    Tuition fees are higher for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellielli)
    isnt there extra costs for overseas students?
    10,000 pounds/year in London for tution.

I think it's 8,000 in Manchester, Birmingham, and Edinbugh as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing that the cost probably isn't an issue for the OP or her friend or whoever it is. Which is fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydreaming)
    Many Sri Lankans go to university in the UK. In fact there are several on this web site who have been offered places and/or are studying at UK universities. Which exams has she done and what are her marks ? Which year is she in and how old is she ?

This is what she needs to do:

STEP ONE
    First she needs to decide on her university.
    To decide which universities are worth looking at, she should have a look at the Times list of university ratings. If she does not have web access you could print out and mail the lists to her.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/pdfs/finalunitable2.pdf
    The ratings can vary between courses and she should also look at the subject tables:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/pdfs/finalunitable2.pdf

One surprising fact is that unlike Sri Lanka, ( where universities are generally mediocre ) some universities in the UK are incredibly bad and are of sub-third-world standard. For instance, Bolton, Leeds Metropolitan, Thames Valley and London Metropolitan universities are all far worse than Sri Lanka's University of Colombo. On the other hand, many UK universities are adequate. Around a dozen or so are excellent.

STEP TWO
    After having decided on her universities ( she can apply to 6 simultaneously ), she needs to check the UCAS web site and the web sites of the universities she is interested in. She should probably access and join this web site too. I have found it an invaluable resource, while applying from overseas.

STEP THREE
    She then applies through UCAS. If she hurries, she can still apply for next years intake. The form can be filled up online. There is a 10 pound fee. Oxford and Cambridge applications ( University of Colombo is probably harder to get into than these renowned institutions, especially if you are a Tamil ! ) require an extra form. Certain courses at certain universities ( eg: law at LSE, history at Oxford , maths at Cambridge ) may require an extra test.

FUNDING:
    There are various scholarships and bursary schemes that Sri Lankans may be eligible for and that may cover some of her fees, accomodation and living expenses.

I am from Australia and my ancestors were from South India. In a certain sense, we are ancestral neighbours. I would be delighted to help any Sri Lankans ( and of course anybody else ! ) in any way I can.

ReputationRep:
    Regarding 'step one' of the above poster.

Tell them not to make a decision based solely on league table rankings. Even if it's in the top ten for their subject, this doesn't mean that it's the right place for them. Advise them to look on the websites of all the universities that interest them/ order prospectuses to get an idea for the 'feel' of the university. There are also websites such as http://www.unofficial-guides.co.uk and http://www.push.co.uk/pushguide/index.jsp which give you a bit more information about universities without the bias of a prospectus, which might be worth a look.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies, they;ve all been v useful (with possible acception of the juggling comment!).
    the step 1,2,3 thing is especially good, i'll print it and send it to her. thanks again

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.