difference in college inequality

Watch
This discussion is closed.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
when I was at my interview at robinson they told me that the whole of robinson collegee is insured for less than the trinity wine cellar!

MB
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
I think fishpaste said it could pay for everyone!

Ben

Oh whoops, misread it! Still don't know that the colleges would be happy accepting charitable donations though, especially not with all the rivalry But god, it'd be nice...
Radagasty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
College inequality is huge at Oxford. Whilst the official prospectus claims that all colleges are alike, accommodation ranges from £60-£140/week... academically 1 college has 30% getting 1sts another 10%... number of books in library goes from 40,000 to 180,000... search for it in uk-l, it's all been raised plenty of times.
I did try to search through the archives, but anything I tried either returned nothing or several hundred posts. I would appreciate some hints about keywords to search for, or the titles of any threads you particularly remember.
Radagasty
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Well, if Trinity offered free accommodation to all its undergrads that would probably have caused unrest amongst the students elsewhere in the university, I expect. But I think they probably could afford it!
In this vein, I once heard the rumour that St. John's wanted to waive its college fees, at one stage, but didn't because all the other colleges would complain. This rumour is probably just that, though, given the mammoth size (£2.4 million) of its deficit at the moment.
leda swanson
Report 17 years ago
is it true that king's cambridge is relatively impoverished?
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by leda swanson)
Yes. They're in a bit of financial trouble and trying to raise rents to compensate, which is going down appallingly badly with the students...
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Yes. They're in a bit of financial trouble and trying to raise rents to compensate, which is going down appallingly badly with the students...
...I think they couldn't have found a worse set of students to try it on with in Cambridge too.

Alaric.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
...I think they couldn't have found a worse set of students to try it on with in Cambridge too.

Alaric.
On the other hand I can't imagine many students willing to give up their places at the college over the rent.

MB
Radagasty
Rep:
?
(Original post by leda swanson)
The financial situation is not at dire as that at St. John's, though. King's have just a modest deficit.
chrisbphd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Radagasty)
The financial situation is not at dire as that at St. John's, though. King's have just a modest deficit.
That modest deficit is in the range of about £40 million.
Radagasty
Rep:
?
(Original post by chrisbphd)
£40 million? I thought the figure for King's was £1 million and that for St. John's £2.4 million (someone said that the latter's deficit has reduced to £1 million as well because the remainder 'had been found', but I'm not sure I see how that's possible).
Radagasty
Rep:
?
(Original post by chrisbphd)
Hmm... I found a Guardian article on King's, which seems to indicate a deficit of £1.2 million. http://education.guardian.co.uk/stud...067201,00.html. I wonder why there is such a great disparity; I thought college accounts were supposed to be in the public domain.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (61)
19.12%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.11%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5.02%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.45%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.94%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.63%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.08%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.51%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads