This discussion is closed.
miss perfect
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
anyone been offered a place at cambridge or oxford but turning it down? i think thats what i'm going to be doing. i'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. anyone else in the same position?
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by miss perfect)
anyone been offered a place at cambridge or oxford but turning it down? i think thats what i'm going to be doing. i'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. anyone else in the same position?
Why do you think you want to turn it down?
miss perfect
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Why do you think you want to turn it down?
oh theres lots of reasons. firstly, the course at kings, which is the other university, is much more interesting. also, my brother went to cambridge and so, i've had first hand experience of how stressful it is. i'm not sure whether i can go through that when i can get a perfectly good education from kings.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
oh theres lots of reasons. firstly, the course at kings, which is the other university, is much more interesting. also, my brother went to cambridge and so, i've had first hand experience of how stressful it is. i'm not sure whether i can go through that when i can get a perfectly good education from kings.
Hi miss perfect, what course have you got a place at Cambridge for? Remember that you shouldn't base your choice on your brothers personal experience as it may be differet for different people. Also you should consider that your job prospects (particularly outside the uk) will be better with a degree from Cambridge than with one from kings.

Musicboy
miss perfect
Rep:
?
(Original post by musicboy)
Hi miss perfect, what course have you got a place at Cambridge for? Remember that you shouldn't base your choice on your brothers personal experience as it may be differet for different people. Also you should consider that your job prospects (particularly outside the uk) will be better with a degree from Cambridge than with one from kings.

Musicboy
i'm doing french and spanish at trinity hall.
i know that the experience could be different for me but trust me, this hasn't been an easy decision, as you can probably imagine. and i have taken everything into account. and i also know about the job prospects but still, i think kings is where i would be happiest. i know some people would cut off their right leg for a place at cambridge but i think kings is best for me. at the end of the day, its me who's going to be there for 4 years and i want to be happy.
dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Don't worry- go with what you want to do. At the end of the day, it's you that's doing the degree, and only you that knows precisely what you want out of uni.

Bon courage, mon brave. Ceux qui risquent, gagnent.
miss perfect
Rep:
?
(Original post by dreamer)
Don't worry- go with what you want to do. At the end of the day, it's you that's doing the degree, and only you that knows precisely what you want out of uni.

Bon courage, mon brave. Ceux qui risquent, gagnent.
oh merci beaucoup. thanks for the support
x
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)

Musicboy
musicboy, why do you think that one's job prospects are particularly good outside the uk?
*dave*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Dont give up your place! If you do, then at least let me have it lol
KaiserSoze
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by tomek J.)
musicboy, why do you think that one's job prospects are particularly good outside the uk?
Thats probably true, personal experiance has been that law firms at least outside the UK say they don't bother to look at anywhere besides oxbridge, thought that might not hold true for other subjects
rah
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by KaiserSoze)
Thats probably true, personal experiance has been that law firms at least outside the UK say they don't bother to look at anywhere besides oxbridge, thought that might not hold true for other subjects
hmm a third year friend here at notts has just been offered a job with a big law firm in new york, though i guess as she is doing law with french maybe that makes her standout
Cyclone
Report 17 years ago
I will be turning down my offer for history at Cambridge. I know what you mean though - it isn't easy. Everyone I know thinks I should take this "great opportunity", but I personally hated the place - far too archaic for my liking! I also think the course at Cambridge is less interesting than that at Warwick or York and it seems that the short 8 week terms are very intense.

My advice would be: stick with you instinct and go to Kings.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Cyclone)
I will be turning down my offer for history at Cambridge. I know what you mean though - it isn't easy. Everyone I know thinks I should take this "great opportunity", but I personally hated the place - far too archaic for my liking! I also think the course at Cambridge is less interesting than that at Warwick or York and it seems that the short 8 week terms are very intense.

My advice would be: stick with you instinct and go to Kings.

Did you not visit the place before you applied?!
Bigcnee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Most people would say you are crazy, but I can understand where you are coming from. Choose where you think you will be happiest.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
A lot of people don't - I know I didn't (apart from Cardiff where I went to summer school)...there weren't any organised trips with my school and my parents didn't go to uni so they didn't prompt me to go and visit (and neither did my school)...I didn't realise that most uni's had open days for people pre-application until I'd actually started studying at one.

The only uni I'd visited independantly before applying was Wolverhampton where my sister was studying - and even then it was just to help her move in and to have a laugh for a week during the holidays - I didn't get to see any of the university itself apart from the halls she was living in.

That's fair enough I guess... but at least one of the two people saying this has a brother at Cam so must have known something about the place. I mean, you should definitely not go anywhere you'll be unhappy - but if you knew you wouldn't like it before then why apply?! Sorry, it's a gripe of mine I suppose...

But yes, if you've decided it isn't for you then definitely go somewhere you'll enjoy the course - you have to be happy, it's three hugely important years of your life and if you aren't happy you won't do as well. So don't let other people make the decision for you!
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 17 years ago
no you haven't had 1st hand experience. you are not your brother
J
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by KaiserSoze)
oh, cool. is it easy to change from sps to law?
Cyclone
Report 17 years ago
Did you not visit the place before you applied?!
Yes I did. I don't deny that Cambridge looks nice and I suppose on my first visit that was what encouraged me to apply. It was only when I actually spent a couple of days there for my interview that I realised it was not the place for me.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Cyclone)
Yes I did. I don't deny that Cambridge looks nice and I suppose on my first visit that was what encouraged me to apply. It was only when I actually spent a couple of days there for my interview that I realised it was not the place for me.

OK, you're forgiven then Sorry, I just hate the thought of people getting places when they don't really want them, when there are all these people who desperately want to go... but obviously there are cases where it can't be helped and yours is one of them. I hope wherever you decide to go you'll be happy - I'm sure you will be.
Cyclone
Report 17 years ago
OK, you're forgiven then Sorry, I just hate the thought of people getting places when they don't really want them, when there are all these people who desperately want to go... but obviously there are cases where it can't be helped and yours is one of them. I hope wherever you decide to go you'll be happy - I'm sure you will be.
Thanks.

It is a shame I can't donate my place to someone else, but I suppose the colleges allow for a few people not accepting their offers when they make them.

I think being relaxed in the interview (since I wasn't concerned about getting in) helped - had I desperately wanted to get a place I would have been much more nervous and would probably not have been successful, ironically enough.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (61)
19.12%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.11%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5.02%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.45%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.94%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.63%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.08%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.51%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads