Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I bet most the people who says its awful have never been up north and if they have I bet its some crap town.
    yah, cause that's not stereotypical at all!

for the record I've been to manchester newcastle and edinburgh a few times each and go to university in durham

durham is a very pretty town but the north in general it's just.... ergh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    I disagree. Anyone south of the purple line on this map is a southern softy northern wannabe .
    My dividing line goes from Bristol to Dover. Everyone above that is Northern.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by technik)
    nope...nothing wrong with it.

should be noted though, you arent northern unless you live north of the red line on the map attached.

those just south of it might think they are northern, but they are just wannabes.
    That would depend upon people's definition of Northern. To me it means people who live in Northern England and hence probably any area above half way of the north-south distance of England. This would seem to fit with the idea that cities such as Liverpool, Sheffield, Hull, Leeds, Manchester, Bradford and others are in the North.

Personally I love the North. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I've always lived in Yorkshire and probably wouldn't want to live anywhere else. However, I would consider places like Cumbria and Scotland to live, but I think the far south and London and most midland areas around Birmingham nd Leicester wouldn't really appeal to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger Kirk)
    I think the far south and London and most midland areas around Birmingham nd Leicester wouldn't really appeal to me.
    Midlands are ikky. London is ikky. Most Southern places are nasty. The westcountry is BEAUTIFUL. In fact, it's so pretty - stay out it's mine :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    My dividing line goes from Bristol to Dover. Everyone above that is Northern.
    Ich stimme ein.

ReputationRep:
    That would depend upon people's definition of Northern. To me it means people who live in Northern England and hence probably any area above half way of the north-south distance of England. This would seem to fit with the idea that cities such as Liverpool, Sheffield, Hull, Leeds, Manchester, Bradford and others are in the North.

Personally I love the North. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I've always lived in Yorkshire and probably wouldn't want to live anywhere else. However, I would consider places like Cumbria and Scotland to live, but I think the far south and London and most midland areas around Birmingham nd Leicester wouldn't really appeal to me.
    but, as you live in the UK, gauging it from an english only standpoint is silly.

--------------

Midlands are ikky. London is ikky. Most Southern places are nasty. The westcountry is BEAUTIFUL. In fact, it's so pretty - stay out it's mine :p:
    you'd like northern ireland. apart from the area around greater belfast its mostly green fields and such like. it is said you are never more than 5 minutes from the countryside anywhere in NI. think you might be a bit stuffed at city hall in belfast though...traffic would render 5 minutes hopelessly inadequate, 10 or 15 definately though. but for the rest i'd say its right on.

ReputationRep:
    Oh don't even try that. It's bloody freezing this time of year. At home I can go out in a jumper at this time of year and not get cold. And the summer? Don't get me started on that. The weak rays can bearly break through the clouds and it seems to consist of humidity and squelchiness than anything else. You don't have the gorgeous brilliant rays of sun you get practically every day in summer in my part of the country.

I just find the north really depressing to be in, I'm used to the sun, the sea, the warmth, being able to actually walk from my house into countryside...

Northern countryside is quite charming if you can get over how bleak and gloomy it is - there's always a black cloud brooding on the hoizon somewhere. Meh. The north will always be grim in terms of weather.
    Yeah, but you live on the English Riviera! I find very little difference in the weather between Leeds and Bristol, apart from the fact that it rains a lot more in Bristol.

Oh, and Wakefield's a bit crap anyway. Sorry Dave

ReputationRep:
    The grass is duller, the ground harder to walk on, air is thicker, rain is seen so much it's regarded as a member of the family.

A train journey from London to Manchester is like going from The Shire to Mordor on the back of a flea-ridden pony named Syphilis.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if we are insulting Northerners

http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/medic/fitn...rn%20Birds.mp3
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    but, as you live in the UK, gauging it from an english only standpoint is silly.
    Not really. Scotland is Scotland and you can describe diffenret areas of Scotland too. Wales is Wales also. You don't really describe 'the West' or 'west country' as being Wales do you? It's Bristol down to the end of Cornwall area...even though Wales and Northern Ireland fit better into a 'West UK' description
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Absolution)
    The grass is duller, the ground harder to walk on, air is thicker, rain is seen so much it's regarded as a member of the family.

A train journey from London to Manchester is like going from The Shire to Mordor on the back of a flea-ridden pony named Syphilis.
    More like the other way around....

....with Yorkshire being the Shire and London Mordor.

Yorkshire has the different Ridings with the York right in the centre. The Shire has the different Farthings with Hobbiton in the middle of them.

London is South and east of Yorkshire. Mordor is south and east of the Shire.

London has the M25 surrounding it and blocking your way in. Mordor had the Mountains (forgotten their name) surrounding in blocking you from getting in.

Also, Yorkshire has the name 'shire' within it....lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Scotland is Scotland and you can describe diffenret areas of Scotland too. Wales is Wales also. You don't really describe 'the West' or 'west country' as being Wales do you? It's Bristol down to the end of Cornwall area...even though Wales and Northern Ireland fit better into a 'West UK' description
    most of scotland is as far west as wales

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
    Yeah, but you live on the English Riviera! I find very little difference in the weather between Leeds and Bristol, apart from the fact that it rains a lot more in Bristol.

Oh, and Wakefield's a bit crap anyway. Sorry Dave
    OH Wakefield is uberly crap and awful (Sorry Dave) but I've been to more places than that in the North.

Loving the Northern Birds song - lucky Daveo has a nice Southern lady :p:

ReputationRep:
    OH Wakefield is uberly crap and awful (Sorry Dave) but I've been to more places than that in the North.

With excellent social skills :p:

j/k

ReputationRep:

blissy, have you been to Hull?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    most of scotland is further west than wales
    Backs my point up even more then....when some of the most western parts of the country are in the North-west corner of the UK, why should the west country be in the South-west corner? Simply because it is a term to describe a part of England.

In the same way, north and northerner is a term which refers to Northern England and specifically anything in England which lies level or further North than the big industrial cities of the North

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    blissy, have you been to Hull?
    Do I look like I enjoy thoroughly miserable days out in Northern towns by the sea? Whitby was bad enough (well ok the company was lovely, but it was very windy, the sea was a grey mark out in the distance and it stank of chip fat and cheap candyfloss). Hull is worse, right?

ReputationRep:
    Backs my point up even more then....when some of the most western parts of the country are in the North-west corner of the UK, why should the west country be in the South-west corner? Simply because it is a term to describe a part of England.

In the same way, north and northerner is a term which refers to Northern England and specifically anything in England which lies level or further North than the big industrial cities of the North
    how does it back up your point? you said NI and wales was considered the west of the UK.

if most of scotland is as westerly as wales is you'd have to include scotland too, and the parts of england that are in the western half.

what you are doing is breaking down the UK in to 4 nations and then trying to fiddle which is which based on that.

ReputationRep:
    Do I look like I enjoy thoroughly miserable days out in Northern towns by the sea? Whitby was bad enough (well ok the company was lovely, but it was very windy, the sea was a grey mark out in the distance and it stank of chip fat and cheap candyfloss). Hull is worse, right?
    I don't think people go to Hull for seaside holidays. At least, I'd hope not. Skeggy all the way...

ReputationRep:
    lmao

Hull is a city! Well, I'm used to it and although there are things I *hate* about it, there are some very nice subburbs and it's very close to York and near gorgeous countryside, so it's not all bad. City centre is pretty naff though. We have the Humber Bridge though!

Whitby, I agree, is the end of the world. And no, darling, you don't look like you're a northern days out goer!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.