Is it grim up north? Watch

RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by technik)
how does it back up your point? you said NI and wales was considered the west of the UK.

if most of scotland is as westerly as wales is you'd have to include scotland too, and the parts of england that are in the western half.

what you are doing is breaking down the UK in to 4 nations and then trying to fiddle which is which based on that.
Nah, all my point was that some area of the UK could be described better as being 'west' than what we refer to as 'the west country'. I just didn't think to include any parts of Scotland in with the other 'western' parts, but including then actually shows the 'West Country' is even less 'west' when considered part of the UK as a whole, therefore the name probably doesn't originate from considering it part of the UK, but as part of England. My definition of 'northern' is achieved in the same way.
EPD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by red_roadkill)
Whitby, I agree, is the end of the world. And no, darling, you don't look like you're a northern days out goer!
It's not as bad as Brid or Scarborough though. And I think you've found Hull's new tourist tagline;
"Hull. It's close to York." Says it all really
Lush Law
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
It's not as bad as Brid or Scarborough though. And I think you've found Hull's new tourist tagline;
"Hull. It's close to York." Says it all really
Indeedy! When people at uni ask where I'm from and I say Hull (well it's Beverley actually, 25 mins drive out but wtfever) they're like "omg where's that?" and I just say "near York".

--------------

Scarborough is the pits. I have lots of family in Scarborough, I dread going. It's like stepping back in time.

Brid, IMO, is actually worse; and that takes some doing!
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Skeggy all the way...
I went to butlins there when I was little. Was sick on the minibus both ways, was allergic to the sheets so had to wear a polo neck and tights and put a towel over the pillow to stop me coming out in a rash, walking on the beach was the closest I've ever got to being sandblasted...

York was OK. Again, company exceptional , and the walls were cool. But the historic centre wasn't what I haven't seen in Exeter or Salisbury or Stratford before (the Northerners I spoke to seemed to think it was a world wonder or something)
technik
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
whats not to like.

almost exclusively unionist too. brill
Daragh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Wow blissy - you have had some bad experiences in the north.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by deej2)
Wow blissy - you have had some bad experiences in the north.
And some very very good ones

Anywho, I told my mum I'd probably end up living there for a few years at least. She asked to be put on the phone to Dave. He went pale. Apparently she said something along the lines of stealing her daughter...
Lush Law
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by blissy)

York was OK. Again, company exceptional , and the walls were cool. But the historic centre wasn't what I haven't seen in Exeter or Salisbury or Stratford before (the Northerners I spoke to seemed to think it was a world wonder or something)
Oh come on that's well tight! York is lovely damnit :mad:

It's more than just "OK".

Exeter is minging! How can you think it's nicer than York?!
EPD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
York's ace; any city that has a street called Whip-ma-whop-ma-gate has to be good
Daragh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
And some very very good ones

Anywho, I told my mum I'd probably end up living there for a few years at least. She asked to be put on the phone to Dave. He went pale. Apparently she said something along the lines of stealing her daughter...
I think we know enough about you and dave.... *avoids back room*
Awwww, I kinda feel sorry for Dave
How about some sort of middle ground?
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
York's ace; any city that has a street called Whip-ma-whop-ma-gate has to be good
I took a photo of that
hanadeka2002
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
^Yeah and it's the home of the only address in the world that has a house number 'One and a half...'

ie.One and a half Whip-ma-whop-ma-gate.

The whole of England is a dump to be honest.I don't think the north or the south is better.What I do hate is southerners who think they are better than northerners because they live near London or whatever.

Oh,I know what winds me up.When people tell you they live in London and you ask what part then they go 'Er.........Tunbridge Wells...' or 'Well,25 minutes away from the M25...'

So not in London at all then.
Gem
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's not grim where I live It's lovely
parties-r-us!
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol, well im a northern lass but living in the south, i much prefer the north, the weather is just the same down here and although i have met nice people down here, i think northerners in general are a lot more polite.
homoterror
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
it's pretty grim. no money and no imagination leave most of the people ... unstimulating.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't like it. If, for any reason, I suddenly decided I wanted to live in England, I'd at least go south where there's some decent weather.

That said, I'd avoid London, the surrounding areas and Birmingham completely.

(Original post by Roger Kirk)
Not really. Scotland is Scotland and you can describe diffenret areas of Scotland too. Wales is Wales also. You don't really describe 'the West' or 'west country' as being Wales do you? It's Bristol down to the end of Cornwall area...even though Wales and Northern Ireland fit better into a 'West UK' description
Yeah, Scotland isn't included in 'Northern' (we've actually got nice bits, despite the cold). Although oddly I still would refer to it as 'oop north' in conversation...

We have our own understanding of Northerners... which are mainly ginger-haired crofters who are slightly mad and like doing naughty things to sheep.

http://www.bangor-countydown.co.uk whats not to like?
Full of neds and tarts from what my Northern Irish sources tell me.
hull chic
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well i have to say as a northern lass now at uni in London the north is soo much better, i really miss it in fact can't wait to go home for xmas!
.:fluff:.
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Up north isn't grim! All you namby pamby southerners....a bit of rain never hurt anyone! :p:

Yorkshire all the way
Crisps
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In my opinion us Northerners are peeps who's homes are north of a line connecting Chester to the Wash, I'll post a pic later if I can
Stick Man
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
nope...nothing wrong with it.

should be noted though, you arent northern unless you live north of the red line on the map attached.

those just south of it might think they are northern, but they are just wannabes.
At risk of sounding unkind, that reminds me of the Brandt line, except reversed :p:

Sorry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (273)
27.25%
No (729)
72.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise