84.8%
No (26)
15.2%
AtomicMan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Meh, there are are no grammar schools for miles away for me so I dont think I should have any biase. From what I see, alot of grammar schools are in affluent areas, like in Kensington (wealth part of London). If they really are for social mobility then why arent they in hackney or peckam?

Also, at 10 I dont think I even cared about academia, took me 5 years to realised that I was good at it/needed it. I dont think a test at 11 is an accurate portrayal of academic intelligence. As I am quite a late bloomer in this respect.
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm indifferent about them really. The Grammar school near me is appallingly bad according to a friend who used to go there, they would let anyone in whose parents had money, so it doesn't necessarily mean being Grammar school educated is better than state school education.

I loved my school and I don't seem to have been penalised for not going to a Grammar, I got decent GCSEs so meh.
Helloworld_95
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yes, where I live still has a Grammar School and I go to it

It gives everyone there the notion that while they were relatively good at their last school, they're only average compared to this lot of people so it gets them to try harder. It also weeds out the people who want to amount to something who don't get in and go to a high school, you'll get people with meh grades there and you'll get people with awesome grades because they realise that they need to try that much harder to amount to what they want to become.
Die mk2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry, but to actually be on TSR, you have to be somewhat geeky and thus from either a Public or Private school (Public here!), so obviously the poll is going to be biased.

We moved after I left Primary school, so I didn't really know anyone going to my local state school anyway, so I went for the better education
Planar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Might be worth pointing out that the region with the best region for education in the whole of the UK is Northern Ireland - year after year after year. Where is the only region in the UK with widespread grammar schools? Funny you should mention that...
DeeDub
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
"The problem with good schools is that everyone will want to go to them." - John Prescott.

I think it is all very well to employ political dogma when speaking about grammar schools in generalities. However the fact of the matter is that they provide an excellent state education to thousands of people the likes of which they would otherwise only be able to obtain in the private sector.

The biggest advantage of Grammar schools as people have previously stated is the classroom and whole school atmosphere is more conducive to learning and personal development.

We need Grammar schools so that people who come from backgrounds where they cannot afford private education are able to compete with those who are privately educated when they enter the real world. A disproportionate amount of people getting into the best universities and the best grad jobs are privately educated. If we got rid of grammar schools this would only become further skewed.

I attended a grammar school and without it I wouldn't have all the **** that is written in my sig below. I don't deny that I am lucky as not everywhere has grammar schools but I am not going to be apologetic for misguided political decisions made 15 years before I was born. I live near Manchester Grammar School which up until a state grammar school however with the changes to the schooling system it reverted to being an independent status. It previously served children from relatively poor areas of south Manchester, now it pupils are bussed in from further away in the more affluent areas towards Cheshire.
Jacktri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
grammar schools are good but are only good on a nationwide scale if they just put one or two grammar schools in random locations like it is now it is unfair to people who don't live near them
Officer Dibble
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Grammar schools always were a good idea but had problems in the past. If we were to create more grammar schools today we could deal with these problems using what we have learned from past experience. For example, instead of an 11+ we could have an exam that could be taken any year between, say 11 and 13 so that kids aren't faced with an "all-or-nothing" exam like the 11+ was.
xxKiaraxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm in favour of grammar schools (I go to one so maybe I'm biased lol) as I think it provides an opportunity for bright students to be in an environment where people actually want to learn.

However, grammar schools don't necessarily provide for social mobility. I don't know if this is the case everywhere, but all the students in my year are middle class (even though the neighbourhood around the school is decidedly not) and a large majority have had tutoring. I'm not saying that they NEEDED the tutoring to pass the 11+, just that their parents thought that they would be disadvantaged if didn't. Also, as I live in a county which has quite a few grammars, the private primaries that some of my friends went to started tutoring them in verbal reasoning and maths from year three, whereas the people in state primaries didn't get this.
Solid_Snake_100
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
Grammar schools give the impression of making kids do well by siphoning off the most academic while leaving the rest with a poorer educational experience.

Most people support grammar schools right up to the point they or their kids don't get in.
What a load of rubbish. You are basically saying that we should greatly hold back the best, so that those who aren't academically capable can be marginally better off (and only due to the presence of their better peers). How is that fair?
goerigi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by frank070691)
I went to Westcliff
I went to westcliff girls :3 left in 09 after my gcses because I moved to Norfolk but yeah
KiwiBerry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I go to a grammar school, and I think I can honestly say that it's done wonders for me. I find that everyone is just generally more academic and focused on their school work, which I would consider to be a good thing. Also, my brother goes to a comprehensive, and I was shocked by the limited homework he gets! I'm talking a two-hour project every month or so . . . It's completely ridiculous. I think the real problem lies with the poor standards of some (not all) comprehensives, not the successes of grammar schools.

Also, a quick note on the "11 + makes kids feel like failures" argument; my brother didn't pass. I just asked him if he felt bad when he didn't get in - he said not at all and carried on watching TV *eyeroll* Obviously that's only the view of one person, but still . . . People have to learn to deal with both success and failure at some point, whether it 11, 16, or 21.
chlobofro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They are a fantastic idea IMO. All this bull about academic elitism at a young age is rubbish. Academic elitism happens throughout your life, especially applying for Uni. It would be better form to prepare them for it at a younger age? I was never encouraged to work hard until Year Ten and I fear that was too late.
Britishstudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by goerigi)
I went to westcliff girls :3 left in 09 after my gcses because I moved to Norfolk but yeah
SHSB
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Solid_Snake_100)
What a load of rubbish. You are basically saying that we should greatly hold back the best, so that those who aren't academically capable can be marginally better off (and only due to the presence of their better peers). How is that fair?
Before trying to put words into my mouth, you should understand what I actually mean first.

What I am saying is grammar schools look as thought they are getting kids good grades by selecting kids who would have got good grades anyway, even if the teaching was average.

They are not adding any value, just maintaining it. Adding value would be to get kids who would not have got good grades, good grades. Its a far tougher job to add value than just to maintain value.

Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good because they give those who are capable of achieving highly the opportunity to do so. I'm slightly biased though, given that I attend a Grammar school.
abc:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm glad I didn't go to my local one, I actually learned about life in the real world at my school. Still they're better than private schools, and if you want a helping hand in life then go ahead.
ily_em
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RK)
Grammar schools are a bad idea. They force segregation on society from the age of 11. They place unnecessary pressure on people at the age of 11. In most cases a child's future is determined at the age of 11, not allowing for late developers or for people of have issues/problems around this time. The 11+ exam is also something that those with money can take advantage of, paying for private tuition from an early age whilst those without the money cannot do this, putting their children at a disadvantage.

Whilst there will always be some exceptions to what I've said above (the exceptions being the things pro-grammar school people through around to defeat these points) the above are the general trends you definitely see in places where you have Grammar schools.

They basically promote elitism and segregation and force some parts of society to stay down. I wouldn't support a move back to having more grammar schools.

We need to ensure that all our schools are decent schools and that all pupils can flourish at every single school in the country.
I didn't know grammar schools still existed till I came to uni (I live in hampshire - there are none there). I remember the stupid amount of pressure we got for year 6 SATs - I can't imagine how bad it would be having the 11+ too :eek3:
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
Margaret Thatcher saw the unfairness in Grammar schools.
That's why she was responsible for closing more down than any other politician.
She closed them because they were too costly.
moneyballs2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you like Grammar Schools?

- Good
- Bad

I choose Yes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (49)
9.37%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.68%
No, but I want to start (188)
35.95%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.33%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.68%