The Student Room Group

aqa gcse english lit paper 24/05/11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr.Pwepper
Meeeeeeeeee! :biggrin:

the exam was okay isn't i talking about the 'patrolling...' how the repetition of wild wild is .......
and in eagle they personify the eagle to make it seen human to give it power
(i learnt patrolling bar... last night lol and eagle thank GOD) :wink:

in Catrin i talked about how this ending is extended metaphor of how many teenagers are unaware of the dangers that lurk around them, also that it's a universal issue so many parents can related to Clarke because many parents and children endure conflict between them but yet there is intense love. also in 'DIGGING' Heaney shows admiration of his father and he has inherited the same skill but in a different form, which is writing so he will dig up memories and dig up poems with his skill.

4 OMAM i said...

that stein back shows damage in all the characters they call conjure different circumstances but they want to achieve the same unrealistic 'AMERICAN DREAM .
CROOKS - BLACK 'STABLE BUCK' unable to socials with other men
CURLEYS WIFE- NO MENTION OF NAME , DREAMS DETERRED BY GENDER ROLES
CANDY - FINDS COMPANION WITH A DOG , HANICAP

IT WAS OKAY OVERALL HOPEFULLY I GET A B OR A
Reply 21
Original post by Member737,514

Original post by Member737,514
Which TKAM qu. did you do?
I did Homecoming too for a different question, I'm seriously hoping that they accept any sort of interpretation of it

The one about learning from experience. I said that Homecoming could be about how the family is always there for you to "fall back into their arms" as it were.
Reply 22
I also did the 'love' poetry question. I found it relatively easy as I was familiar with these four poems quite well. I talked about how metaphorical language can emphasise the love in mother any distance and anne hathaway. I also talked of emotive language in sonnet130 and on my first sonne, and payed particular detail to how sonnet130 potrays the theme of love is a rather contradictory way. I found it rather interesting. :P
Reply 23
On Of Mice and Men, I did the first question on how Steinbeck presented damaged lives as I thought there would be more to talk about then the second one.

I think I misunderstood it but I wrote about:
- Lennie and how his disability affects and 'damages' his life as everything he does unknowingly impacts his eventual death
- Curley's wife and then I brought in the theme of Dreams and suggested that it was dreams that damaged many lives as they crushed the spirits and hopes of the characters.
- How the use of foreshadowing helps to emphasize the idea that more damage is to come for example the death of Candy's dog means that Candy has lost his best friend leaving him 'damaged' but also that the final damage to Lennie's life is seen coming. Somewhere is this I mentioned that the cruelty of society is the main impact of damaged lives (Carlson)
- I brushed on Steinbeck's use of imagery and the contrast between the beauty of the nature to emphasize the severity of the damage and how the damage can be passed on to nature (If that makes any sense... :P)

For the poetry question I ran out of time. D;
I chose question 22 about how the poets use language to express feeling and I wrote about Death of a Naturalist, Sonnet, Cold Knap Lake and The Affliction of Margaret. At first I misread the question so I started talking about structure but managed to catch myself out and saved it by expressing how structure is used to back language in this poems and the language is the key thing used. But.... uhhhhhh, the end of it was awful since I had to rush it all and I think I focused too much on specific points and expanded on them a lot rather then mentioning more things. Bye bye A*. D:
It seems like I'm the only one who did the question on Crooks for OMAM...
For poetry I did the Duffy/Armitage one and I chose the love question
Poems were
Sonnet 130
On My First Sonne
Anne Hathaway
Mother, Any Distance...

Did anyone else find the questions quite easy? I was really happy with the questions, now I'm hoping I wrote the right thing...
Original post by Jullith

For the poetry question I ran out of time. D;
I chose question 22 about how the poets use language to express feeling and I wrote about Death of a Naturalist, Sonnet, Cold Knap Lake and The Affliction of Margaret. At first I misread the question so I started talking about structure but managed to catch myself out and saved it by expressing how structure is used to back language in this poems and the language is the key thing used. But.... uhhhhhh, the end of it was awful since I had to rush it all and I think I focused too much on specific points and expanded on them a lot rather then mentioning more things. Bye bye A*. D:

You never know!
They always say write a lot about a little. Its better to go indepth on a few things rather than only briefly talk about lots of things.
Dont wave bye bye just yet :smile:
Was anyone else surprised by the second 'Of Mice and Men' question?
I've never heard of them giving a passage like that and telling us to write about it. I chose it anyway, and think I did quite well :smile:
Reply 27
I did the question about how effective the openings are and I used Havisham, Sonnet 130, The Affliction... and Stealing. Thought the poems went pretty well but don't get me started on I'm the King of the Castle D:
Man that went down the drain! Anyone else do that novel?
Reply 28
Original post by Mocking_bird
You never know!
They always say write a lot about a little. Its better to go indepth on a few things rather than only briefly talk about lots of things.
Dont wave bye bye just yet :smile:

Hopefully. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :biggrin:
Original post by 03hope03
For the poetry I did the love question and compared 'Sonnet 130' to 'Anne Hathaway' and then 'On My First Sonne' to 'Mother, any distance', and then I did a final big comparison at the end. I hadn't done a paper before and again, I think it went well but could have done better!

did EXACTLY the same :L so did one of my friends :tongue: I reckon i could of done better as well didn't have time to do a paragraph on each of the FLIRTS(Form, language, imagery, tone, structure) :frown:

Only compared two for the the theme, next two for the tone and then back to the beginning two for form :/ but I still got a good four pages out of what I wrote :L so heres hoping (yn)
Original post by aksuzberp
if i got a mid a in coursework, can i still get a*?

yeah cos the papers 70%! so even if you did terrible in the cw and got like a C and then aced the exam you could still get an A! so its very likely :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Confusedddd.
did EXACTLY the same :L so did one of my friends :tongue: I reckon i could of done better as well didn't have time to do a paragraph on each of the FLIRTS(Form, language, imagery, tone, structure) :frown:

Only compared two for the the theme, next two for the tone and then back to the beginning two for form :/ but I still got a good four pages out of what I wrote :L so heres hoping (yn)

Yeah, see I forgot lots of the basic stuff, but I managed to get in a bit about structure, some basic theme if not very detailed, context, and related every point back to the question :smile: But I hadn't got a clue how to structure it or what I had to include so I guessed some of it :P

In total I managed 13 sides for that whole exam :frown: My hand is killing me now, and I have extra time and was the last to finish so all of the invigilators were starting at me :P
Yeah, see I forgot lots of the basic stuff, but I managed to get in a bit about structure, some basic theme if not very detailed, context, and related every point back to the question :smile: But I hadn't got a clue how to structure it or what I had to include so I guessed some of it :P

In total I managed 13 sides for that whole exam :frown: My hand is killing me now, and I have extra time and was the last to finish so all of the invigilators were starting at me :P

17 sides? :redface: jesus! I only wrote 7 and a half for the whole exam, and my hands acheing :colondollar: :L! + yeah I missed out quite a few main points! :/
Our teacher gave us this way of writing the poery if we get stuck, she was like basically do an intro, answer the question with two of the poems then do a paragraph for each FLIRT swapping between each pair of poems and keep relating back to the theme, then do a conclusion! so thats what I did :P Im just so gutted I didn't get anything in about language :/ but I kind of wrote about it in the "answering the question paragraph", very vaguely at that though :L :frown:
Reply 33
Original post by Confusedddd.
17 sides? :redface: jesus! I only wrote 7 and a half for the whole exam, and my hands acheing :colondollar: :L! + yeah I missed out quite a few main points! :/
Our teacher gave us this way of writing the poery if we get stuck, she was like basically do an intro, answer the question with two of the poems then do a paragraph for each FLIRT swapping between each pair of poems and keep relating back to the theme, then do a conclusion! so thats what I did :P Im just so gutted I didn't get anything in about language :/ but I kind of wrote about it in the "answering the question paragraph", very vaguely at that though :L :frown:

13 sides :tongue: See we were never taught FLIRT, we were left to get on with it ourselves and hope we were doing it right, they call it independent learning, I call it teachers being too lazy :wink: So I did an intro, wrote about poem 1, wrote about poem 2, compared 1 + 2, wrote about poem 3, wrote about poem 4, compared 3 + 4, compared both sets to each other, conclusion. I hope that's right! :s-smilie: And I related every single point I made back to the question, even little ones
Original post by iLoveRobSwire<3
It seems like I'm the only one who did the question on Crooks for OMAM...
For poetry I did the Duffy/Armitage one and I chose the love question
Poems were
Sonnet 130
On My First Sonne
Anne Hathaway
Mother, Any Distance...

Did anyone else find the questions quite easy? I was really happy with the questions, now I'm hoping I wrote the right thing...

DONE the exact same thing as you!
Even each of the poems you chose!:biggrin:
Reply 35
I did the question about love and thanks to Anna Hathaway I think this is the first time i have used the words erotic, sexual and animalistic in such a context.
What a weird woman Duffy is :tongue:

WTF?! I did only 6 and I thought it was alot!
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU
DONE the exact same thing as you!
Even each of the poems you chose!:biggrin:

Niceee! :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU
WTF?! I did only 6 and I thought it was alot!

I write a lot, that's all :smile: If anything I overwrite, I struggle getting to the point and tend to ramble on a bit
Reply 39
Original post by destinyx
Darkness of man's heart question - <3.

For Heaney and Clarke I did the question about 'places' and used Sonnet, Patrolling Barnegat, The Field Mouse and Death of the Naturalist.

OMG, I did Sonnet, Patrolling Barnegat, Storm on the Island and Digging.
Good choices for the places question?
I found Sonnet, Patrolling Barnegat and Storm on the Island easy to talk about but Digging was harder.

Crap, I just realised that I could've talked about how the title of patrolling barnegat refers to an actual place! :nothing:

Quick Reply

Latest