What do you think of Leicester as a City?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Straight up G
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi guys, could you just tell me what you think of Leicester as a city, and tell me from which city you went to Leicester? Also, I've heard there's a massive number of Gujarati Indians in proportion to other castes/groups from South Asia, is this true?
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dont know, I really cant differentiate between what area of south asia they are from.
QI Elf
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No idea about the Asian question but as I city I find Leicester 'ok' Its not great and its not awful. There are some nice coffee shops and resturants, a decent enough shopping centre and some (fairly average) museums. A fancy cinema and a theatre or two.

One one biggest disappointment for me is the central library. I find it has a really bad selection of academic books in comparison to my home town of Nottingham. There I can find loads of books off my reading list but rarely, if ever, the same in Leicester. Parts of it are also, what I deem a 'little bit skanky,' it looks quite tired and in need of a good lick of paint in some areas- mostly around the city centre which can be quite dull and grey IMO. Having said that, the area around Leicester Uni and its halls is really quite nice.
Straight up G
Rep:
?
(Original post by QI Elf)
No idea about the Asian question but as I city I find Leicester 'ok' Its not great and its not awful. There are some nice coffee shops and resturants, a decent enough shopping centre and some (fairly average) museums. A fancy cinema and a theatre or two.

One one biggest disappointment for me is the central library. I find it has a really bad selection of academic books in comparison to my home town of Nottingham. There I can find loads of books off my reading list but rarely, if ever, the same in Leicester. Parts of it are also, what I deem a 'little bit skanky,' it looks quite tired and in need of a good lick of paint in some areas- mostly around the city centre which can be quite dull and grey IMO. Having said that, the area around Leicester Uni and its halls is really quite nice.
Wow I'm from Notts too, and I really love Notts as a City. It's all being modernised, it looks great, giant new Westfield replacing Broadmarsh, it's a great place to be. Would you say Leicester would be a bit of a come down on Nottingham?
QI Elf
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Straight up G)
Wow I'm from Notts too, and I really love Notts as a City. It's all being modernised, it looks great, giant new Westfield replacing Broadmarsh, it's a great place to be. Would you say Leicester would be a bit of a come down on Nottingham?
I don't dislike Nottingham, I've lived there my whole life etc etc, but I hold no special fondness for it. It has some quite nice places to go to but largely I find it average. It has better shops, resturants, library and a wider range of theatres than Leicester does. I also prefer the older looking buildings, for instance round the Market Square etc that give Nottingham a bit more character. My favourite building is possibly Zara- it architecture is beautiful and has a really amazing history connected to the Boots stores. Leicester really is a bit of a concrete jungle in the city centre- it does get much nicer further out though.

I don't know if I'd say that Leicester is a come down in comparison to Nottingham. I don't find either especially amazing TBH. They are both, on the whole, rather bland and generic IMO. They literally could be anywhere in the rest of the UK.
Straight up G
Rep:
?
(Original post by QI Elf)
I don't dislike Nottingham, I've lived there my whole life etc etc, but I hold no special fondness for it. It has some quite nice places to go to but largely I find it average. It has better shops, resturants, library and a wider range of theatres than Leicester does. I also prefer the older looking buildings, for instance round the Market Square etc that give Nottingham a bit more character. My favourite building is possibly Zara- it architecture is beautiful and has a really amazing history connected to the Boots stores. Leicester really is a bit of a concrete jungle in the city centre- it does get much nicer further out though.

I don't know if I'd say that Leicester is a come down in comparison to Nottingham. I don't find either especially amazing TBH. They are both, on the whole, rather bland and generic IMO. They literally could be anywhere in the rest of the UK.
Really? I find the buildings around market square great to look at, and especially in summer, it's fantastic. Nottingham comes alive in the summer, and the central nucleus of market square is fantastic. I've lived here since when I was 9/10, so equivalent to all my life then really, in terms of going out and about. So many things to do, the transport system is modern and very well linked, and it just seems like a city on the rise. Contrast this to when I've been to Manchester, which is old and dreary, dirty, creaking old buses, and only right in the city centre do you find some nice buildings. I'm just thinking about potential university applications, and thinking about it, Nottingham just seems a really ideal place. I was just thinking that I really want to live in a modernised, clean and aesthetically pleasing environment, which is not what you're really describing Leicester as (and is not the image I previously had of Leicester either!).
Straight up G
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
I dont know, I really cant differentiate between what area of south asia they are from.
But what do you think of Leicester as a city, and where did you come from to Leicester?
QI Elf
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Really? I find the buildings around market square great to look at, and especially in summer, it's fantastic. Nottingham comes alive in the summer, and the central nucleus of market square is fantastic. I've lived here since when I was 9/10, so equivalent to all my life then really, in terms of going out and about. So many things to do, the transport system is modern and very well linked, and it just seems like a city on the rise. Contrast this to when I've been to Manchester, which is old and dreary, dirty, creaking old buses, and only right in the city centre do you find some nice buildings. I'm just thinking about potential university applications, and thinking about it, Nottingham just seems a really ideal place. I was just thinking that I really want to live in a modernised, clean and aesthetically pleasing environment, which is not what you're really describing Leicester as (and is not the image I previously had of Leicester either!).

Yes, I said I liked the buildings around the market square, they give the city character. You are right about the square being the nucleus of the city, but they do have some rather pointless things happening on it a fair bit of the time IMO.

The transport service, is good. Yes. Better than Leicester (but thats not to say Leicester's is bad).

I really wouldn't describe Leicester as a 'modernised, clean and aesthetically pleasing environment,' but nor would I apply the same description to Notitngham. Differing views, I guess.

There are bits of both which would fit with your description, but I find that they are in the minority of areas in both too.

I've attached some images (hopefully they will work) to show what I mean. Yes, there are some really nice modern buildings, but there is also a lot of concrete 60s buildings, much like Nottingham.
Attached files
Little_missy01
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I love it there!
Then again I like most cities as I live in a town
Yep, theres a lot of hindu/gujarati there, think they're the majority of the population
Im convincing my brother to go to Demontford, so I can go down more often and see my friends there
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it is true that a lot of Indians, as opposed to Pakistanis, are there; at least I know a few such people who live there or have moved there.
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But what do you think of Leicester as a city, and where did you come from to Leicester?
Its average at best, I dont live in the city centre though.
Mad Cat Lady
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I was brought up in Oadby (the little town next to Leicester) and I found that, well... Leicester is very dirty, and also crowded, and the area where you can buy doughnuts next to the Market is full of pigeons pooping everywhere and terrorising you... Oh and it's quite full of chavs, I don't have a problem with the large foreign population it's just that in Leicester they hang out in groups and try to intimidate you... But other than that, it's alright!
Barton1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Safe enough to walk around without fear of getting stabbed/shot.
Picnic1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As a city centre, it wouldn't be first on many people's list. Not that it's bad, it's just not as expansive as some cities obviously.

You'd choose Leicester (especially Leicester University) for the university campus and the Oadby halls.
Knapsta
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I live in a village on the outskirts of Leicester. Although certain infrastructure improvements have been made in the last few years (notably the Highcross development, Cathedral gardens and new museum) going into the city is still an overall unpleasant experience, particularly on a Saturday. Its got little to do with town planning and lots to do with the mindset of the people who go to town. The clocktower area on a Saturday is nothing short of squalid and third world. Many people, often obese, tattooed and candidates for tv's 'Undateables' programme, sit glued to their phones surrounded by and seemingly oblivious to, the litter all around them, despite the close presence of unfull bins They sip their caffeine, vaping away, affixed to their little tamagochis. Rough sleepers occupy doorways, junkies and drunkards abound begging for 'loose change please', and Big Issue sellers hassle everyone who walks by. It's like something out of a Zombie movie on Saturdays around the clocktower. Take your camera in with you for some amazing pics of human low life and deprivation in all its sad 'glory'. It would seem that lazy fat opinionated people are taking over our cities and no matter how much councils spend on improvements you can rely on half wits to spoil it for those of us who want, clean, quiet, unthreatening, friendly and non third world spaces to visit and be proud of. Unfortunately the sub classes seem to be the majority in Leicester, so my visits are rare and very quick!
Knapsta
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I live in a village on the outskirts of Leicester. Although certain infrastructure improvements have been made in the last few years (notably the Highcross development, Cathedral gardens and new museum) going into the city is still an overall unpleasant experience, particularly on a Saturday. Its got little to do with town planning and lots to do with the mindset of the people who go to town. The clocktower area on a Saturday is nothing short of squalid and third world. Many people, often obese, tattooed and candidates for tv's 'Undateables' programme, sit glued to their phones surrounded by and seemingly oblivious to, the litter all around them, despite the close presence of unfull bins They sip their caffeine, vaping away, affixed to their little tamagochis. Rough sleepers occupy doorways, junkies and drunkards abound begging for 'loose change please', and Big Issue sellers hassle everyone who walks by. It's like something out of a Zombie movie on Saturdays around the clocktower. Take your camera in with you for some amazing pics of human low life and deprivation in all its sad 'glory'. It would seem that lazy fat opinionated people are taking over our cities and no matter how much councils spend on improvements you can rely on half wits to spoil it for those of us who want, clean, quiet, unthreatening, friendly and non third world spaces to visit and be proud of. Unfortunately the sub classes seem to be the majority in Leicester, so my visits are rare and very quick!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.57%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.74%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.93%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.69%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.73%

Watched Threads