This discussion is closed.
wass
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
COULD ANYONE HELP (FROM M2):

A SPHERE OF MASS M1 MOVING WITH SPEED U1 COLLIDES DIRECTLY WITH A SIMILAR SPHERE OF MASS M2 MOVING WITH SPEED U2 IN THE SAME DIRECTION (U1>U2). THE COEFFICIENT OF RESTITUTION BETWEEN THEM IS e. SHOW THAT THE LOSS OF KINETIC ENERGY E DUE TO THE COLLISION SATISFIES THE EQUATION:

2(m1 +m2)E = m1m2(u1-u2){squared}(1-e{squared})

any help would be great sorry about the symbols.
dazmanultra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
We're not talking about point particles, right?

We're just getting on to kinematics of solids, I'll look through my notes for you.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
its not that very hard, you just have to mess around with the algebra after you have your 3 basic equations and solve for E
wass
all i have used is the equation for the loss of KE and the coefficent of restitution. i can not see how momentum works for this.

point particles? never herd of them i presume the spheres are modeld as perticles.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by wass)
i can not see how momentum works for this.
conservation of momentum:

m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2

that's your third equation.
wass
can some post a solution i can not do it, my teachers can not do it and it's buging me.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by wass)
can some post a solution i can not do it, my teachers can not do it and it's buging me.
if your teachers cant do it yet they make u do it, then thats pretty scary.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i got this far:
the solution looks pretty similar, but i must have dropped an e somewhere.
byb3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
i got this far:
the solution looks pretty similar, but i must have dropped an e somewhere.
i personally hate these types of questions. The technique itself isn't that difficult, its just the number of variables increase the chances of you making an easy mistake. Looking at the kind elpaws working out is surely evidence enough!

Adam
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by wass)
COULD ANYONE HELP (FROM M2):

A SPHERE OF MASS M1 MOVING WITH SPEED U1 COLLIDES DIRECTLY WITH A SIMILAR SPHERE OF MASS M2 MOVING WITH SPEED U2 IN THE SAME DIRECTION (U1>U2). THE COEFFICIENT OF RESTITUTION BETWEEN THEM IS e. SHOW THAT THE LOSS OF KINETIC ENERGY E DUE TO THE COLLISION SATISFIES THE EQUATION:

2(m1 +m2)E = m1m2(u1-u2){squared}(1-e{squared})

any help would be great sorry about the symbols.
I'd be able to help if i remembered how to do this stuff, but i don't.
But i'm doing this sort of thing now, so i might be able to try it.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by byb3)
i personally hate these types of questions. The technique itself isn't that difficult, its just the number of variables increase the chances of you making an easy mistake. Looking at the kind elpaws working out is surely evidence enough!

Adam
i know, once you've got the 3 equations at the top, thats all the theory. the rest is all messy algebra which is bound to make you do mistakes. fortunately they wouldnt ask something like that in an exam (not A levels anyway), they would give you a few values for the variables.
byb3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
i know, once you've got the 3 equations at the top, thats all the theory. the rest is all messy algebra which is bound to make you do mistakes. fortunately they wouldnt ask something like that in an exam (not A levels anyway), they would give you a few values for the variables.
lol, my last m2 exam with edexcel was a bit like that. There were so many e's it was like a rave.

Adam
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (208)
42.98%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (74)
15.29%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (194)
40.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.65%

Watched Threads