The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
um....?
Reply 41
**** them.

Your right to freedom of speech is protected under the 1998 Human Rights Act and is enshrined in EU Law. If they don't like your discussing interviews, then take them to court. Because you'd win.

~j
They can reject you. Then you can't go to Cambridge university. Then...well, you've failed in your application, you lose. Spending money and time taking a university to court isn't feasible.
Reply 42
Adhsur
At least they don't call you John like someone did. :p:

No he said Jean.
We weren't too nasty in those messages were we? :redface: My conscience is too strong. :mad:
**** them.

Your right to freedom of speech is protected under the 1998 Human Rights Act and is enshrined in EU Law. If they don't like your discussing interviews, then take them to court. Because you'd win.

Umm, I might be wrong, but by virtue of signing your application I believe that could be considered in some ways contractual and therefore you would be binded by whatever rules and procedures needed to be followed during interview period.. this case being the discussion of interview question. I doubt you'd have much of a case then..
Reply 44
Redsapphire2000
Umm, I might be wrong, but by virtue of signing your application I believe that could be considered in some ways contractual and therefore you would be binded by whatever rules and procedures needed to be followed during interview period.. this case being the discussion of interview question. I doubt you'd have much of a case then..
As far as I'm aware, you can't sign away your human rights...they are by definition inalienable. Moreover I didn't sign anything when I applied saying I wouldn't talk about my interview and I doubt you did either!

Incidentally, I notice that my post has had its swear word removed - how ironic! :rolleyes:
Reply 45
jugular
As far as I'm aware, you can't sign away your human rights...

Incidentally, I notice that my post has had its swear word removed - how ironic! :rolleyes:

Yes, swearing is against the rules. Maybe you should read them.

And I'm sure that it is possible to sign a contract binding you to keep quiet about certain things.
sexybrowneyes88
SAY IF there are DoS's on here, and IF they do recognise you as an applicant for Oxbridge, I would advise you to change your signatures so that you don't reveal your grades and Unis applied to, so that it makes it harder for them to match people from here to their applicants.

Wow scary! I am really sceptical of this thread - would they really bother??? But - IF non-Oxbridge uni's come on here and see you've applied to Oxbridge... I know, paranoid, but... Oh worrying!

minimo
Don't add random TSR people to your MSN...it could be your DoS.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 47
Helenia
Yes, swearing is against the rules. Maybe you should read them.

And I'm sure that it is possible to sign a contract binding you to keep quiet about certain things.

Firstly, no need for the sarcasm

Secondly, swearing per se is not against the rules (yes I did read them):
Swearing
The censorship filter is in place to filter out hardcore swearing and avoiding the censorship filter is not allowed and will be punished. All other swearing must be in context and appropriate in general discussion. e.g. Acceptable: "My exam was so crap, hopefully I'm going to have to get rather pissed tonight!" Unacceptable: "I don't give a crap, piss off". Being friendly, considerate and articulate does not usually involve the use of profanities.

So swearing in some cases would be acceptable. The point is that swearing is allowed "in context" but blocking out swear words is not allowed. So your original post should say "Yes, blocking out swear words is against the rules."

Which again is inconsistent. Because swearing is allowed "in context": so why is there a swear word filter??

Hence my confusion over the rules.
ok i think we can all basically say, from this, is that yes we can talk about the interviews and questions, its our right to, but also at our own risk. Doing so maybe possibly reduce your chances of getting into Oxbridge. Nothing else can really be said!
Reply 49
jugular
Firstly, no need for the sarcasm

Secondly, swearing per se is not against the rules (yes I did read them):

So swearing in some cases would be acceptable. The point is that swearing is allowed "in context" but blocking out swear words is not allowed. So your original post should say "Yes, blocking out swear words is against the rules."

Which again is inconsistent. Because swearing is allowed "in context": so why is there a swear word filter??

Hence my confusion over the rules.

Any word which the filter picks up is considered as part of the "The censorship filter is in place to filter out hardcore swearing and avoiding the censorship filter is not allowed and will be punished." section - so if it stars it out, re-writing it so it doesn't get picked up is not allowed. The other section of the rules there refers to minor swear words.

Hence, you did break the rules, and that's why you have warning points.
bob_54321
its not hard for the colleges to work out the identity of the posters, all they have to do is look on the "i have an interview thread" where people wrote their college, subject and times of iterview. these will surely be unique for every candidate . . . on a sheet of questions i got it said that i wasnt to discuss them then or at any time in the future as it might put me at a disadvantage and other candidates at an advantage, although, i know for a fact that someone had told the other candidates on the day the actual questions that they were asking in the interview, that pissed me off a bit really, gave quite a few people an unfair advantage (not myself because i was about the 3rd person). stupid of people to discuss their questions to people they are "competing" with anyway, just gives an unfair advantage and disadvantage.

:eek: so that's why they tightened up the system a bit the day after.....
Reply 51
Helenia

No, they cannot write 'contracts' that contravene applicable law. eg. An employer could not enforce a contract where the employee was supposed to undertake not to sue for any injury sustained at work.

You really are at liberty to discuss your interview as explicitly as you wish, BUT they quite reasonably request you not to do so, and probably assume that if you are applying to Cambridge, you are bright enough to see why. :wink:
Reply 52
When I first joined this forum, I made sure I was not traceable and make sure that i dont reveal details that could identify me. I did this because admissions tutors may unfairly discriminate against you by looking at what you have said. This also meant that unis couldnt find out what offers i have already and where I applied. I thought this was just being paranoid, but looks like I did the right thing :tongue:
Plus there's the whole 'reasonable right to speech' idea. If you're taking part in a series of interviews designed to test you - quite clearly, it's on the same sort of par to an exam. They segregate candidates who haven't yet taken an exam from those who have taken the identical exam, to prevent 'help'. It's a similar situation -- besides, "free speech" is a phrase with its own connontations. Where does one draw the line?
Reply 54
pure6gapper
:eek: so that's why they tightened up the system a bit the day after.....

how had they tighteneed up the system when you went? would have been better if they had done it for the first day really, ah well, im just being bitter now, lol!
Can't help but think that concerns over Cambridge admissions staff monitoring this (and presumably other) web sites for interviewees divulging questions is silly.
1. If admissions staff have all this spare time why not simply come up with new questions on a regular basis. This seems about as practical as spending the day hovering over a multiude of websites (which isn't very).
2. The web is only one source of information sharing. How to they mitigate the risk of people from the same school passing information on to those who haven't been interviewed yet? Answer - they don't.
3. An interviewee who checks the web for any and all information relating to an interview is showing...wait for it...some initiative. I'd call it sensible research rather than cheating. We all know getting into Oxbridge is part luck. If people don't try to give themselves as much advantage as possible, they probably don't belong here. Exactly the same applies to getting a job at Mckinsey or BCG. People share information. The companies expect this and mitigate by tweaking questions on the day.
4. yadda yadda yadda
Reply 56
Perhaps they got told about it by somebody else who had read the site?
All that happened was that somebody was requested to remove something they had posted out of politeness to the admissions staff, in order to make their job easier. It's not something to kick up a fuss about.
Reply 57
Phil (ver 2)
Can't help but think that concerns over Cambridge admissions staff monitoring this (and presumably other) web sites for interviewees divulging questions is silly.
1. If admissions staff have all this spare time why not simply come up with new questions on a regular basis. This seems about as practical as spending the day hovering over a multiude of websites (which isn't very).
2. The web is only one source of information sharing. How to they mitigate the risk of people from the same school passing information on to those who haven't been interviewed yet? Answer - they don't.

1. in order to fairly compare candidates, it's best that they're all asked the same question or selection of questions. different questions could be of a slightly different standard and harder
2. it's unlikely 2 people from the same school would be applying to the same course and the same college. I'm assuming the college factor is the problem as it wouldn't be very likely that different colleges had the same interview questions as they seem to operate quite independently.
can't be bothered with the rest, it's bedtime..
Reply 58
-mb-
No, they cannot write 'contracts' that contravene applicable law. eg. An employer could not enforce a contract where the employee was supposed to undertake not to sue for any injury sustained at work.

You really are at liberty to discuss your interview as explicitly as you wish, BUT they quite reasonably request you not to do so, and probably assume that if you are applying to Cambridge, you are bright enough to see why. :wink:

Well, distributing exam answers (i.e A Level or GCSE) before the exam is illegal AFAIK. And you can sign non-disclosure agreements, in which case you can get sued if you break them. There's also libel and slander. The right to free speech isn't the same as being legally allowed to say anything you want.
Reply 59
I don't understand why this has become such a big deal. We are all visitors on this website, so I would assume that since we joined this forum we indirectly agreed to follow its rules. Not giving out interview details might not have been one of the initial rules but since the main moderator requested nicely not to I would take for granted that everyone would and should respect that request.
I personally don’t like even the thought that our applications and interview performance could possibly be influenced by what we post on a forum. But even if admissions tutors actually read this, I think they are experienced enough to not be lead to wrong conclusions. Besides, I don’t think that a college would like to lose a strong candidate and future student because of one post they once made on an online forum. Hence I would suggest that everyone calms down, focuses on what actually matters, and carries on to this forum respecting the wishes of the people who granted us the opportunity to be using this room and preparing ourselves better for our application and/or interviews.
Other than that, I wish everyone good luck, and the best with their applications! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending