The Student Room Group

Economics at Uni... is further maths required?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by therealOG
What makes you think Oxford doesn't teach proper Economics? Is your opinion formed on the basis that they don't offer a single honours Economics course?
And you missed out Economics and History btw :tongue:

Indeed it is. Plus the lack of maths. Some would call it academic snobbery.

And oops.
Reply 21
Original post by danny111
Indeed it is. Plus the lack of maths. Some would call it academic snobbery.

And oops.

IMO Maths is far too prevalent in certain areas of Economics. But that's a whole other point I suppose.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
No, what I meant is to take a jibe at Oxford, saying you don't need FM because they don't teach (proper) economics anyway.

oxford is oxford, whatever they teach must be gold because its like one of the top uni's in the whole world!!
Reply 23
Original post by amelle
oxford is oxford, whatever they teach must be gold because its like one of the top uni's in the whole world!!

Pretty much sums up the attitude of the uninformed general public towards Oxbridge lol.
Reply 24
IMO Maths is far too prevalent in some areas of Economics. You simply can't model human behaviour and psychology like that. But that's a whole other point I suppose.

Well, you can say a lot about theory guys. But still, it can be fun to model things.
Reply 25
Original post by amelle

What OG said.
Reply 26
Well, you can say a lot about theory guys. But still, it can be fun to model things.

Very true.
(edited 12 years ago)

IMO Maths is far too prevalent in certain areas of Economics. But that's a whole other point I suppose.

Whilst not getting into that argument, if you're not teaching the equations and fundamental maths behind these models you're not teaching students how to become and think like economists. An economist really should be confident on both levels, mathematically and with using words. That's why I can't take any E&M student serious, the degree will be rigorous and tough but it's not a good degree to further yourself as an economist.

And I don't think it academic snobbery, look at the majority of papers even for areas like development and you'll see they relying heavily on econometrics and general modelling.
Reply 28
Original post by yoyo462001
Whilst not getting into that argument, if you're not teaching the equations and fundamental maths behind these models you're not teaching students how to become and think like economists. An economist really should be confident on both levels, mathematically and with using words. That's why I can't take any E&M student serious, the degree will be rigorous and tough but it's not a good degree to further yourself as an economist.

And I don't think it academic snobbery, look at the majority of papers even for areas like development and you'll see they relying heavily on econometrics and general modelling.

The reason why Maths is so prevalent in Economics is because back in the day it looked extra impressive if you could model things based on mathematical functions. We now know that in certain areas, these models work excellently in theory, but when applied to real world situations or when used to forecast things they just fall apart. I'm just saying the irrationality of human behaviour means that in certain areas of Economics the Maths is redundant.
Reply 29
The reason why Maths is so prevalent in Economics is because back in the day it looked extra impressive if you could model things based on mathematical functions.

Yes, I'm sure that was the reason... :toofunny:

I don't understand your point at all and that's probably because you have one. Can you explain specifically why you consider maths 'too prevalent' in economics? The simplistic models you're using at undergraduate level only touch the surface of what is used by economists. The whole idea behind it is to get you to start thinking like an economist. For some academics and theorists, the use of mathematics isn't to model real-life situations at all...it's a field within itself.

I'm just saying the irrationality of human behaviour means that in certain areas of Economics the Maths is redundant.

Explain. Give examples. Cheers.
Reply 30
You don't need Further Maths at all. I know several people going into it tha haven't done so. Of the one person who did F. Maths and is going for Economics, it actually worked as a hinderance as some universities didn't recognise F. Maths as a separate degree. My advice: do F. Maths at AS and then see from there.
Reply 31
Original post by yoyo462001

Development people publish in Econometrica. Enough said.
Reply 32
Original post by Overmars
Yes, I'm sure that was the reason... :toofunny:

I don't understand your point at all and that's probably because you have one. Can you explain specifically why you consider maths 'too prevalent' in economics? The simplistic models you're using at undergraduate level only touch the surface of what is used by economists. The whole idea behind it is to get you to start thinking like an economist. For some academics and theorists, the use of mathematics isn't to model real-life situations at all...it's a field within itself.

Explain. Give examples. Cheers.

Initially, Maths became so important and integral in Economics in order for the subject as a whole to gain scientific respectability and credibility. What I'm trying to say is that the prevalance of Mathematics in Economics may have led to some areas of Economics, say, behavioral Economics for example, becoming too focused on mathematical models that stand up well in theory but fall apart when applied to real life situations due to assumptions like everyone always behaves rationally and seeks to utility maximise.
Reply 33
Original post by tory88
You don't need Further Maths at all. I know several people going into it tha haven't done so. Of the one person who did F. Maths and is going for Economics, it actually worked as a hinderance as some universities didn't recognise F. Maths as a separate degree. My advice: do F. Maths at AS and then see from there.

The fact that you think FM is a "seperate degree" and can be a hinderance leads me to believe that no-one should take your advice on this matter.
Reply 34
Initially, Maths became so important and integral in Economics in order for the subject as a whole to gain scientific respectability and credibility. What I'm trying to say is that the prevalance of Mathematics in Economics may have led to some areas of Economics, say, behavioral Economics for example, becoming too focused on mathematical models that stand up well in theory but fall apart when applied to real life situations due to assumptions like everyone always behaves rationally and seeks to utility maximise.

You don't know what you're talking about.
Doing further maths will give your application an advantage both because many other applicants will have it, and because some universities (top 10) have a preference for it. If you're aiming to apply somewhere like LSE I really would advise taking F.Maths, I attened the open day talk for Economics this year at LSE and there was an emphasis on having further maths if your school offers it. However, I know that LSE (not sure about other universities) see FM as an 'additional' A level so you can't have a subject combination consisting of Maths, FM, and another subject. Have a look on the university websites in addition to the entry profiles on UCAS, they often mention which subjects they'd prefer.
Reply 36

To be fair, I haven't even started undergrad Econ yet so a lot of the stuff I'm saying is probably absolutely wrong. However, I'm still sticking to my point that in certain areas of Economics, mathematical modelling is used to the point of hilarity - Economics is not a science and some Economists seem to believe it is.
Reply 37
To be fair, I haven't even started undergrad Econ yet so a lot of the stuff I'm saying is probably absolutely wrong. However, I'm still sticking to my point that in certain areas of Economics, mathematical modelling is used to the point of hilarity - Economics is not a science and some Economists seem to believe it is.

Reply 38

I haven't studied behavioural economics, but I do believe that behavioural economics is all about people not being rational. Models assumes rationality and behavioural is trying to find ways to model irrationality.

Psychology & Economics (aka Behavioural Economics) is a relatively new field of economics that tries to better incorporate psychological assumptions into formal economic modelling.

I don't think you know what behavioural economics is.

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/BehavioralEconomics.html

This is a good web link (my quote was from a lecture).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39

I haven't studied behavioural economics, but I do believe that behavioural economics is all about people not being rational. Models assumes rationality and behavioural is trying to find ways to model irrationality.

I don't think you know what behavioural economics is.

Alright, cheers for the info Danny. Unlike a certain "Overmars" who thinks it's witty to repeat sentences. :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending