Should I or should I not?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
jimmy_cricket
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I've applied to Durham and I'm rather keen to go there.
In the advice for applicants bit for my subject on the website it says:

"Some applicants write to the Department Admissions Tutor to indicate that they are particularly keen on Durham. This is a good way to signal interest and can sometimes influence decisions made. Such letters are kept on file, and the Admissions Tutor will try to make sure that the UCAS form of such an applicant is read in conjunction with the letter."

Do you think that I should write to them, or does it reek of desperation? What should I put? Or is it too late to bother?
It seems unethical somehow.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jimmy_cricket)

"Some applicants write to the Department Admissions Tutor to indicate that they are particularly keen on Durham. This is a good way to signal interest and can sometimes influence decisions made. Such letters are kept on file, and the Admissions Tutor will try to make sure that the UCAS form of such an applicant is read in conjunction with the letter."

Do you think that I should write to them, or does it reek of desperation? What should I put? Or is it too late to bother?
I would write to them and say somthing on the lines of I would much rather go to Durham than Oxbridge etc. Make out that you like Durham so much you really want to study there. Perhaps also say in a letter why you are brilliant candidate without sounding big headed.
jimmy_cricket
How about this:

Dear Sir / Madam,
I am writing to express my particular interest in studying at Durham as is suggested in the “Information for Applicants” section of the History website. I visited Durham last year and I was very taken with both the city and university and it would therefore be my first choice.
Last year I tentatively applied for Economics as I was advised this was a sensible option for me but after careful consideration I decided this was not what I was really passionate about. I thoroughly enjoyed my History A Level and research and reading confirmed that this is what I am truly interested in. I am now on a gap year in employment and reapplying.
I hope that university will give me the chance to explore the subject further, participate in new activities and that my application to Durham is successful.
I look forward to hearing from you.
mjf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Just write and say that you are just enquiring as to the progress of your application and that you hope to be joining Durham university (and that specific department) later on in the year. Hopefully then they should say what state of affairs your application is in and it looks as if you want to study there! Ive done it with two universities and they both invited me to interview!
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

My advice would be to write only if you have something original to say, you shouldn't do it simply as a precaution. Try to think hard about Durham and the course that you are applying for, and see if you can home in on why they are different from other uni's/courses. Then try to link this with your own skills, interests and experiences, and present a short, clear argument as to why you are the perfect Durham candidate.

Best of luck!

Old Thrashbarg
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

I'm surprised they encourage that. Though if you're genuinely keen then there's nothing unethical about it - just think, the admissions tutor is going to think "He/she's good, but how do we know they'd accept an offer if we give them one and not go for one of their other 5 choices?"
jimmy_cricket
Thanks for all your help, I just got back from posting it.
Fingers crossed!
jimmy_cricket
(Original post by Jools)
I'm surprised they encourage that. Though if you're genuinely keen then there's nothing unethical about it - just think, the admissions tutor is going to think "He/she's good, but how do we know they'd accept an offer if we give them one and not go for one of their other 5 choices?"
I guess it shows them who's bothered to rad through the pages and pages of advice they've given!
Vitriol
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I was initially rejected by Durham for Law becuase I put on my UCAS form that I wanted to live at home. After receiving my rejection, I called up the hed honcho at Van Mildert and asked to be reconsidered. I was interviewed and given an offer through clearing (of 3 Bs I think).

I changed my mind though. He wasn't amused.
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Thanks for all your help, I just got back from posting it.
Fingers crossed!
Good luck!! Can't do any harm to your application really
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
Good luck!! Can't do any harm to your application really
I beg to differ.... I think it could make you look the slightest bit desperate
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by claire1985)
It would look desperate if it were not for the fact that they encourage this. by taking heed of their advice it can only be positive.
hornblower
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
It would look desperate if it were not for the fact that they encourage this. by taking heed of their advice it can only be positive.
Indeed, it would show how committed you are.

J.
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
Indeed, it would show how committed you are.

J.
I thought it would seem as though you don't have enough faith in your UCAS application to get you in. Could you please direct me to the bit on the website where they condone this, i couldn't find it anywhere. Is it a history dept thing, or is it university wide advice?
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I don't know about History but on the Psychology site it is here
http://psychology.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/info_app.pdf
AT the bottom of page 3
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Looking desperate to get in if you qualify to get in is not necessarily a bad thing - at least they'd know you'd pick there.
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Vitriol)
I was initially rejected by Durham for Law becuase I put on my UCAS form that I wanted to live at home. After receiving my rejection, I called up the hed honcho at Van Mildert and asked to be reconsidered. I was interviewed and given an offer through clearing (of 3 Bs I think).

I changed my mind though. He wasn't amused.
HAha good for you!
Those Unis can be so pretentious!
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ladyluck)
HAha good for you!
Those Unis can be so pretentious!
I can see it on the psychology site but nowhere on the History site-are you sure it was actually on the History site? If it is, I can't see it anywhere
jimmy_cricket
I can see it on the psychology site but nowhere on the History site-are you sure it was actually on the History site? If it is, I can't see it anywhere
Why so bothered?
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Why so bothered?
I want to see if it is actually true. Just because you have taken an instant dislike to me, you don't have to be so rude.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (57)
4.86%
Uncertainty around my education (179)
15.26%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (129)
11%
Lack of purpose or motivation (166)
14.15%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (51)
4.35%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.8%
Loneliness (101)
8.61%
Financial worries (39)
3.32%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (56)
4.77%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.77%
Lack of real life entertainment (62)
5.29%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (104)
8.87%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (105)
8.95%

Watched Threads