Whoops - got £20 petrol, only had £15 on me! Watch

Ghost
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Whoopsies!
There was such a fuss over it too, but the guy at the till was nice enough, he said it was all standard procedure. Basically, they:

- Took my drivers liscence until I returned (fair enough)
- Made me write "I agree to return to the petrol station to pay the remaining money within 30 minutes" on a piece of paper and sign it (seems stupid)
- Called the police!

So I went off and got the fiver they needed, got my liscence back, and he ripped up the page I signed. What I'm wondering is, what on earth would they say to the police? "Uhh, hi, its Bob from the Maxol station. Just to let you know we're waiting for someone to return with a fiver, that is all."?
Any ideas?
Kingspharm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Did they call the police in your presence? They might have just said that they did to **** you up a little bit so that you would go back.
Ghost
Rep:
?
Ah true, they didnt do that while I was there, and I didnt see him reaching for the phone or anything when I was leaving. Good point!
It'll teach me never to midjudge how much money I have on me in future though! hehe.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
happens...

giving them something important like a licence is their guarantee you'll return.

but...do u not have a credit or switch card or somethin?
Ghost
Rep:
?
Aye I have a credit card, but that's another funny story entirely, involving paying uni fees, and maxing it out lol :P.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ghost)
Aye I have a credit card, but that's another funny story entirely, involving paying uni fees, and maxing it out lol :P.
haha you reject. you put uni fees on a credit card?! fool!

i just havent paid mine yet...and wont do until they threaten to chuck me out
Ghost
Rep:
?
lol I know I know . It's all paid now though so no biggie . I only paid a little bit of them (£250), which stopped me from being sent a bill for £450 just before christmas.
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Credit card is the best way! Cashback on £1100 at 1% is £11!
LittleMiss
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Petrol stations see people come in with no money a lot, all they do is ask you to leave something important (which by the way they shouldnt do as they could copy/steal it in your abscence) they will only usually phone the police if you drive off without telling them that you have no money and will be back to pay.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Abusing credit cards is not a good idea, I refuse to have any credit cards at all, if I don't have the cash I can't afford it. However I do have a rather large student loan to pay off.

I did the same thing at the barbers a few weeks ago, I didn't have to leave anything though, I just went to the ATM machine to draw some money out and then came back.
BexTait
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I suppose by getting you to leave your driving licence or whatever, they then have means by which to trace you should you fail to return with the money.
LittleMiss
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ye but they (should have) CCTV and will have your registration plate on there to watch you driving off.
MorbidAngel
Report 12 years ago
had a similar problem the other day. asked bloke if he took solo. he said yes so told him to put £25 in. he did, then went to swipe card and he said 'oh, we dont take this card'. ****in ********. only had £15 with me so had to use credit card. just aswell as i had it with me!
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I read an article once about a guy in Kazahkstan or somewhere who did this, and he left his kid with them when he went to get the money, and then never came back. Ahahaha!! I'll try and find a link.
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
This is why the procedure in America is "Pay before you Pump". And the pump automaticall stops at the amount you've given them. However, if you wave from the pump at the guy inside, they sometimes will switch it on for you. A redneck idot friend of mine in an old 1970 Chevy baby blue truck filled up once like this. The station guy should've noticed that the license plate was covered by some oily rags. When he filled up, he just drove off!! :eek: The next day, the redneck friend bought about 20 cans of primer and primered his whole truck grey. What an idiot. Not really worth a tank of petrol if you ask me. But he was probably broke or drunk or both :rolleyes:
michellehall
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i usually pay for my petrol on my debit card. so one day i filled up went in the shop went to get my card and realised id left it at home because id been internet shoppin and i didnt have anymoney on me at all. i was really embarrassed so i spent about 10 minutes in the garage tryin to figure out what to do. eventually i just told them and said if you ring my mum she can pay you over the phone. they said id have to ring her from the payfone and get her details. but i had no money at all so i had to ask for 20p to use it. was sooo embarrassing
Lady_Muck
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh I had this last week, was the most embarrassing morning of my entire life!

I put £20 in, went in, waited in the huge queue, eventually got to the till...Handed over debit card and it was REFUSED! I wanted the ground to swallow me up, I knew I definitely had the money in there, but I'd bought my laptop two days earlier and it turned out that they'd blocked my card after £1500 going out twice in two weeks (I'd had to pay for my car to be fixed out of my insurance payout, see!) - total dilemma.

I was actually on my way to school, so wasn't going home until the weekend. They were EXTREMELY nice, though (Tesco). Wrote me a note in their pad, just wanted to see ID, gave me a slip and said that the Recycling men do it all the time! I didn't feel overly stupid, they were v understanding and paid on my way home that weekend!
JimmyStew
Report 12 years ago
Luckily I have never had this dilemma to deal with
sebbie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what do they do if you have no ID?
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh! My brother used to work in a pertol station - they call the police on a special number and leave your reg plate, then if you don't front in the time agreed the police activate your reg and feed it to the 'pigs on da street' - otherwise you can get fairly far in 30 mins...

--------------

(Original post by sebbie)
what do they do if you have no ID?
My friend had to leave her expensive watch as security when she left her purse at home...
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.42%
No (445)
60.71%
Not really bothered about them (153)
20.87%

Watched Threads