The Student Room Group

Mini fridges at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LostRiots
God help anyone who steals any of my food when I go this September. I take my food seriously. And I am not a nice man when angered.

same here lol i don't mind if they ask but i'll still probably say no
I cant wait to buy my own mini fridge for when i get to Uni :sexface:
Reply 22
Original post by LostRiots
God help anyone who steals any of my food when I go this September. I take my food seriously. And I am not a nice man when angered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6GsjLPvW5I
I have a mini fridge at home and it seems to make an awful lot of noise, so I wouldn't take it. Saying that, it might just be faulty.
I have one and I brought it to my house-share with me.

One of the bitches there shoved me into the smallest box-room and so I had to put it in the communal area.

She went on and on at me to turn it off because it was 'wasting too much electricity' and then once turned it off when I was out. FFS.

So if you have one make sure you are not sharing with complete a####holes like I was!
Reply 25
Original post by emeleh
Not always against terms and conditions - my friend got given a mini fridge BY her uni after making numerous complaints that people stole her food.

Brb, accommodation office.
Original post by stephie.u3
bit off topic but if you're in a shared kitchen do you take your own pans etc??

Yes, of course :smile:. I have not heard of a uni that provides things likes pots and pans.

OP: I wish I'd gotten one. You're generally not allowed them (depends on uni) but you can always hide for room inspections. However, you won't need one for all your food because you'll find that you don't all shop together and eat the same food and share food, you'll all have your own diets. I would say you really only need one for milk, juice, possible eggs, and any "treats" that you get i.e. biscuits or chocolate. Because these are the things that tend to grow legs..
Reply 27
It'll depend on where you go. One of my friends accommodation has a fridge freezer in each bedroom and no fridge in the communal kitchen.
Original post by SpiritedAway
Because these are the things that tend to grow legs..

Was gonna rep you for that, but I've run out today :banghead:
Reply 29
there should be tsr wiki showing mini fridge policy at each uni..
Reply 30
Yeah, I will be taking a mini fridge to my uni halls too. I did hear stories where people do steal each other's food and that my friend, is very unpleasant. I also will be doing gym related work so I will have to eat between 5-6 small meals a day. I found a great mini fridge which doesnt make any noise at all and it holds upto 40 litres of anything! It has great reviews! I'm definitely buying one.

It's called Caldura Silent Mini Fridge, here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Caldura-litre-Silent-Fridge-Black/dp/B00105NNLM

You can find cheaper deals on eBay. :u:
Original post by francistheswole
well basically i will be sharing a kitchen with 12-13 people. and i'll most likely have a separate diet from everyone else. (i;'l be eating 6 + meals a day/cooking my on specific meals- gym related)

i was wondering if anyone uses a mini fridge in their room, and i would appreciate it if you can tell me where i can buy cheap mini fridges with decent space or post a link.

I do that too, I just buy a lot of tuppaware. Generally stops people touching it.
Original post by charlotte-rose
I do that too, I just buy a lot of tuppaware. Generally stops people touching it.

yeah i guess i'm gonna have to use containers, i'll just label it with my name and a p.s
Original post by francistheswole
yeah i guess i'm gonna have to use containers, i'll just label it with my name and a p.s

ps?
in most flats you can get your own shelf in the fridge, so it's not too bad.
Reply 34
I get a mini fridge in my room at uni, which makes me worry if stealing food is a big problem if they've made it a policy for my hall. :s-smilie:
Reply 35
I don't think any university actually allows them, some are less strict than others. As long you hide it from the cleaners/inspection people you should be fine - a blanket works well.
I'm planning on taking my beer fridge to uni (uni managed house, not halls) and was wondering if I'm allowed it. I'm taking it anyway and doing the blanket idea when I have an inspection.

Btw, it's a 50L
http://www.drinkstuff.com/productimg/33379_large.jpg

Edit: Why the neg rep?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Mini-Fridges/buy-PROLINE-PMF70A-Mini-Fridge/521418

i fit this in my room last year under my desk because i also shared with 12 other people, honestly the best thing i bought, yes it was expensive but a fridge lasts a long time and wil come in useful at some time or another
Reply 38
Original post by no-fat-chicks
I'm planning on taking my beer fridge to uni (uni managed house, not halls) and was wondering if I'm allowed it. I'm taking it anyway and doing the blanket idea when I have an inspection.

Btw, it's a 50L
http://www.drinkstuff.com/productimg/33379_large.jpg

Edit: Why the neg rep?

I have the exact same fridge dude but a Fosters version haha I'm also staying in Uni Housing so mine is definitely coming! I can easily sneak it in, I doubt there'll be many inspections tbh.

Strictly for beer though :cool:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
Yeah but just don't get one of those crappy 4L/6L mini-fridges, they hold NOTHING.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you need a big-mini-fridge :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest