This discussion is closed.
suspicious_fish
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by keithy)
if u dont support something, u can have no opinion on the matter......
Yeah, I'm with you there. Of course being gay is a controversial matter, but in my family I was raised being taught that it was just one of those things: some people have red hair, some have , some have monobrows.... it was a sort of "whatever" thing, and I've never really supported being gay. I don't think you can support a sexuality, really, though I do support the rights of gays.
I'm bi myself and I absolutely love it (best of both worlds, eh?), but I wouldn't go around telling people to be bi, or straight or gay.
wizard
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Well surely if you don't support the right to be gay then you're against the right to be gay and therefore coming under the usual definition of homophobic?
I don't feel like being threatened from them so I am not under the definition of the word. (which is one coming from my native language)
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
When we say support, we don't mean "Woo! Support the gay people!" like you'd support the campaign to drop the debt or something. We mean support as in allow them to live their life the way they feel they wish to
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by wizard)
I don't feel like being threatened from them so I am not under the definition of the word. (which is one coming form my native language)
ho·mo·pho·bi·a ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hm-fb-)
n.
Fear of or contempt for lesbians and gay men.
Behavior based on such a feeling.

The definition has long since been understood to include "contempt" for homosexuals.
wizard
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
n.

The definition has long since been understood to include "contempt" for homosexuals.
I said that I don't feel like being threatened from them and their presence which excludes me from the definition that I already, as I said above, know.

However, I don't have any gay friends and the gay community is small here so I can't understand them very much, I must say.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
n.

Just because you think homosexuality is wrong, it doesn't mean you have a "fear of or contempt for lesbians and gay men".
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
But if you dislike gay people, you have contempt for them, and you are therefore homophobic.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I don't have any problem with homosexuals. I couldn't care less what people do with their own bodies. However, I don't see how it is any different to people who have wierd animal fetishes or fancy little children.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
I don't have any problem with homosexuals. I couldn't care less what people do with their own bodies. However, I don't see how it is any different to people who have wierd animal fetishes or fancy little children.
Except both of those things are immoral in the eyes of most people due to the lack of consent, whereas gay relationships are entirely consentful.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Except both of those things are immoral in the eyes of most people due to the lack of consent, whereas gay relationships are entirely consentful.
I don't mean abusing animals or children. I just mean sexual preference. Most people would see people who fancy children or animals as monsters. I don't see how this is any different to people who find members of the same sex attractive.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I don't mean abusing animals or children. I just mean sexual preference. Most people would see people who fancy children or animals as monsters. I don't see how this is any different to people who find members of the same sex attractive.
They see them as monsters because it's abusive to children/animals. It's not abusive to your consenting partner.
Josh75077
Report 17 years ago
They see them as monsters because it's abusive to children/animals. It's not abusive to your consenting partner.

Your right it isnt abusive to a consenting partner, but couldnt you say that about a child who gives consent to an adult.
e.g. one is 19 one is 15.......

Does consent make it right?
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Josh75077)
Your right it isnt abusive to a consenting partner, but couldnt you say that about a child who gives consent to an adult.

In the most basic terms, I think so, yes. Consent is a funny thing, though, cos it's really easy to mess with people's minds - like there was that cult in which the adults convinced the children (young children, sort of 5-6-7) that their parents having sex with them was just another way of showing that they loved them, so the children consented.
Trying to establish what's consent out of free will and what's consent out of "brainwashing" (though I hate that term) is hard to ascertain.
But if you're certain that it's genuine consent from the 15 year old, then there's nothing wrong with that (provided you think it's ok for a 15 year old to made decisions about his/her life).
As far as paedophiles and bestialists (what do you call people who like bestaility?), I couldn't say there's anything wrong with the actual desire, it's when they act on it that it becomes wrong. So in that way it's no different from homosexuality.
After all, people don't choose their desires.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by suspicious_fish)
But if you're certain that it's genuine consent from the 15 year old, then there's nothing wrong with that (provided you think it's ok for a 15 year old to made decisions about his/her life).
Except for the fact that the law provides that 15 is beneath the age of consent where sexual relations are concerned.

So there is something wrong with it; and it's not merely a matter of satisfying your subjective opinion that you think it's ok for the 15 year old to make that decision. Try telling that to a judge.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 17 years ago

The law didn't just pick a random age. They tested the emotional maturity of different ages to see who has the ability to judge a situation in an adult fashion.
That said, i think times may have changed somewhat, and people now view themselves as being more emotionally mature from an early age. They're not, they just percieve it like that because of modern media, situations etc
J
Adam®
Report 17 years ago
Well each to their own is my opinion.

But if you act like an idiot you'll be treated like one, straight or gay.

I find some gays annoying not cos their gay but cos their soooo....for use of a better word.....obnoxious....so in ur face, its like they go out looking for controversy!
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
That's baseless. Homosexual's partners are consenting, whereas child / animal-fanciers are forcing themselves upon unwilling partners. I mean, the poor horse - you think he likes it?
Josh75077
Report 17 years ago
What if two 15 year olds do it together, where does consent come there?..........Is it OK cause they both aint adults or is it like someone said they are too young to be mature enough to have a sexual relationship at 15. So 15 year old gay guys have to wait to they are adults, or legal age of consent??
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What if two 15 year olds do it together, where does consent come there?..........Is it OK cause they both aint adults or is it like someone said they are too young to be mature enough to have a sexual relationship at 15. So 15 year old gay guys have to wait to they are adults, or legal age of consent??
Under-age sex should only be legal if supervised by a parent or guardian.
Josh75077
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
Under-age sex should only be legal if supervised by a parent or guardian.
Lol!! How do you define supervision, watching, filling in a evaluation sheet? I guess they could then give coaching points to just to make sure its a quality experience.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (57)
4.77%
Uncertainty around my education (184)
15.38%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (132)
11.04%
Lack of purpose or motivation (171)
14.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (52)
4.35%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.69%
Loneliness (101)
8.44%
Financial worries (40)
3.34%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (57)
4.77%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.68%
Lack of real life entertainment (64)
5.35%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (106)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (108)
9.03%

Watched Threads