The Student Room Group

St Andrews Uni

What does everyone think about St Andrews? i'm applying for psychology and its suppost to have the best course in the country (along with oxford, cambridge and york) as its got a 5* rating for research and 24 for its teaching. however, despite it having the best course i'm still unsure because of its location. should i just accept it as my first choice because it has the best course, afterall you should really choose uni's on the basis of the course itself. i guess i'm kind of looking fo some sort or assurance that st andrews is a really nice place and isn't as cold and isolated as i seem to think. i just don't know what to do. advice needed :smile:
Reply 1
VoodooDoll
What does everyone think about St Andrews? i'm applying for psychology and its suppost to have the best course in the country (along with oxford, cambridge and york) as its got a 5* rating for research and 24 for its teaching. however, despite it having the best course i'm still unsure because of its location. should i just accept it as my first choice because it has the best course, afterall you should really choose uni's on the basis of the course itself. i guess i'm kind of looking fo some sort or assurance that st andrews is a really nice place and isn't as cold and isolated as i seem to think. i just don't know what to do. advice needed :smile:

It seems we always apply to the same places... I also applied to St. Andrews and have the same doubts about it! I think on the one hand it is great to study at such a small uni with 6000 students, I am sure the community is great. But I dont think the clubbing scene is really existent.... :mad:
Reply 2
ben2111
It seems we always apply to the same places... I also applied to St. Andrews and have the same doubts about it! I think on the one hand it is great to study at such a small uni with 6000 students, I am sure the community is great. But I dont think the clubbing scene is really existent.... :mad:

yeah thats my worry, that the place will be totally dead! mind you i guess it would be an environment condusive to study, but still i need some kind of social life, i can't be a slave to psychology for 4 years! lol :biggrin:

anyways, did you change your durham college?
VoodooDoll
yeah thats my worry, that the place will be totally dead! mind you i guess it would be an environment condusive to study, but still i need some kind of social life, i can't be a slave to psychology for 4 years! lol :biggrin:

St Chad's can't be all that bad :confused: even tho its meant to be really religious, it probably isnt a compulsory thing
Reply 4
ben2111

i went to visit cos ive had an offer to do eco. yeah im thinkin no clubbin scene...but i suppose edinburghs only an hr away!!!!!!!! haha it is a good uni but not much is ever said about it i think cos its in scot....thats what ive found any way im the only whos applied there from my school!really considerin going there cos prices arent too bad as well for the new apartments or new hall (they the nicest ones there i think) an they all quite modern! i think i need to go to another open day just to see whether its me 100% thou
Reply 5
If you really want a buzzing nightlife it's not the place to go I suppose.
But with Wills being there it's reputation with employers will probably illogically rocket and 6000 students must find something to do!
It seems a lovely place I think. I didn't apply to it simply becuase of distance.
Reply 6
Peapod
If you really want a buzzing nightlife it's not the place to go I suppose.
But with Wills being there it's reputation with employers will probably illogically rocket and 6000 students must find something to do!
It seems a lovely place I think. I didn't apply to it simply becuase of distance.

my thought exactly. i honestly had never heard of it or considered looking at it until i heard Willy went there! it is nice not knocking that but my other option is lse....if i get in...still waitin...grrr! n in comparision they are complete opposites!
Reply 7
babyboo
my thought exactly. i honestly had never heard of it or considered looking at it until i heard Willy went there! it is nice not knocking that but my other option is lse....if i get in...still waitin...grrr! n in comparision they are complete opposites!

wills being there has certainly done a lot for its reputation but the reason i put it down was because of how highly its rated for psychology, and it looked pretty good in the prospectus too. i'm still unsure but i'm going to arrange an open day and see what its like myself.
Reply 8
yeah i think thats best. it is really different from any other uni ive visited! if u fly it from edinburgh airport u have to get a bus then a train then another bus so just make sure u have plenty of time. when i went my flight was in the morn at 7 we got to the uni at lunch and then had to leave at 3 in order to get to the airport in time for our 7oclock flight! its all very beautiful thou n whatever happens,whether u like it of not u will have a nice day out! even if u do come home shattered! its full of so much history and the buildings are stunning!
Reply 9
babyboo

true, which in a way makes it harder!
I guess you just need to figure out if you're a big nightlife person - for example how often do you go clubbing now?
Reply 10
hahaha i live in a large town we have two places that like to call themselves clubs but they aint all that. i prob go out properly about once a fortnight, but go town every weekend! i can live without it all if i was honest so it doesnt bother me. but ya see then i think along the lines of going out in london, ive done it once n it was sooo expensive and kinda scary cos of the sheer size of the place and great possibility of getting lost! so many things to consider! i think st andrews is quite a safe place to be especially if im so far away from home. my mum likes the idea of me going there even thou she was dead against it initially! n the course is exactly what i want! theres no point in me gettin my hopes up too high at the min bout lse cos havent heard a thing form them yet but as things stand im prob gonna go to bonnie scotland! whoop whoop!
Reply 11
Yep yuo sound quite taken with it. Have you been on the open day? If not when you go ask the students how they amuse themselves!
I'd definately have applied if it was easier to get to for me!
Reply 12
If you want to find out more about St. Andrews the place to go is definitely 'www.thesinner.co.uk'. It has lots of useful info. and student opinions. I found the 'Guide to St. Andrews' really useful.
I absolutely loved the place when I visited it. The guy who talked to us about psychology just seemed so friendly and enthusiastic. True, there isn't much clubbing but there are clubs. From what I've read there seems to be quite a pub culture too. For me, the idea of the close-knit international community is really good and it is a beautiful place.
I wasn't put off by the problem of it being cold cos I live even further north in Aberdeen, but honestly, it's not that bad! Just bring some warm jumpers, lol. I think I'll miss the city amenities like a big cinema and lots of shopping but I still think it's a really good place to go.
I have a friend who goes there now, studying science of some sort. She likes her course, but she gets so bored, and really doesn't like being in such a small place.
DrSoySauce
I have a friend who goes there now, studying science of some sort. She likes her course, but she gets so bored, and really doesn't like being in such a small place.

i live in edinburgh and i know st andrews really well as my grandparents live there. Yes its true there is no clubbing scene, alot of nice pubs though.

It's also true the town is small and very beautiful, with golf courses and beautiful beaches. It's really cold and windy like most of scotland but when it is sunny i couldn't think of a much nicer place to be.

The population consists of old people who retire there and a few students. There's a tescos, woolworths, safeway boots, offlicenses, clothes shops and alot of tourist shops selling 'authentic' scottish hats, trousers jumpers all of which must be tartan so its not too bad for getting what u need.

Edinburgh is an hour away and has tons of clubs and pubs but thats an hour there and an hour back, along way to go just to get to a pub.

If u live down in england it will be a very long way away from home as well.

If u have any more questions just ask.
Reply 15
VoodooDoll

Hi voodoo,

i thought you changed your college AFTER you got in? I mean how should I call Durham before my application even passed the department? I would consider that a bit strange ;-)))
But still open for any advice, so you think I could just call them tomorrow and ask if I could change?

Thanks!

Benedikt
Reply 16
Marie55
If you want to find out more about St. Andrews the place to go is definitely 'www.thesinner.co.uk'. It has lots of useful info. and student opinions. I found the 'Guide to St. Andrews' really useful.
I absolutely loved the place when I visited it. The guy who talked to us about psychology just seemed so friendly and enthusiastic. True, there isn't much clubbing but there are clubs. From what I've read there seems to be quite a pub culture too. For me, the idea of the close-knit international community is really good and it is a beautiful place.
I wasn't put off by the problem of it being cold cos I live even further north in Aberdeen, but honestly, it's not that bad! Just bring some warm jumpers, lol. I think I'll miss the city amenities like a big cinema and lots of shopping but I still think it's a really good place to go.

Thanks Marie, Im gonna pm you soon if I have any questions, am just a bit drunk right now... :biggrin:
Reply 17
ben2111
Hi voodoo,

i thought you changed your college AFTER you got in? I mean how should I call Durham before my application even passed the department? I would consider that a bit strange ;-)))
But still open for any advice, so you think I could just call them tomorrow and ask if I could change?

Thanks!

Benedikt

hmm i see your point, maybe it would be better to wait for an offer from them before you phone them :confused: having said that it might be even less hastle if you sort it out now because your application hasn't even been processed. its your call, good luck :smile:
Reply 18
VoodooDoll
hmm i see your point, maybe it would be better to wait for an offer from them before you phone them :confused: having said that it might be even less hastle if you sort it out now because your application hasn't even been processed. its your call, good luck :smile:

sounds logical... but I think I dont dare to call them now and ask to change. Probably I should just hope to get into St. Chads and shut up.

Thanks anyway ;-)

Latest

Trending

Trending