Turn on thread page Beta

question about studying in uk watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm from Poland and I have a presentation under the title "a usual day of British student" . And I would be grateful for any inforamtion. Some questions to help you:
    1) how long do you study in the uk? 3+2 years or 5?
    2)how does the usual timetable look like?
    3)do you have lectures from monday to friday?
    4)how does your day look like (when do you get up?, when do you finish yopur lectues?)
    5)are the private (i'm not sure if it is the right word, I mean schools, universities that you have to pay for a lot of money) schools diffrent from the public universities?
    6)is every university co-educational?
    7)what usually students do in the evenings?
    8)Do mamy young people study? or do they look for a job just after a secondary school?

If you can answer these question or add something else I woulde be really happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavilion)
    Hi
    I'm from Poland and I have a presentation under the title "a usual day of British student" . And I would be grateful for any inforamtion. Some questions to help you:
    4)how does your day look like (when do you get up?, when do you finish yopur lectues?)
    5)are the private (i'm not sure if it is the right word, I mean schools, universities that you have to pay for a lot of money) schools diffrent from the public universities?
    8)Do mamy young people study? or do they look for a job just after a secondary school?

If you can answer these question or add something else I woulde be really happy
    This all very much depends on your personality and what course you're doing. I'm doing History at York - I'll help as much as possible.

1) how long do you study in the uk? For History it's 3 years
    2)how does the usual timetable look like? Monday: Lecture 1:15-2:15, Seminar 4:15-6:15; Tuesday: Lecture 1:15-2:15; Friday: Seminar 2:15-3:15
    3)do you have lectures from monday to friday? Only on Monday and Tuesday for me
    4)how does your day look like (when do you get up?, when do you finish yopur lectues?) I get up at 9, usually, so I can get some work in, and everything's always finished by 6:15
    5)are the private (i'm not sure if it is the right word, I mean schools, universities that you have to pay for a lot of money) schools diffrent from the public universities? You have to pay for any University you go to, none are 'public'
    6)is every university co-educational? I don't know any that aren't
    7)what usually students do in the evenings? Most go out drinking
    8)Do mamy young people study? or do they look for a job just after a secondary school? A lot go on to University, especially those who are more academically minded.

ReputationRep:
    1) how long do you study in the uk? 3+2 years or 5? - it all depends on the student
    2)how does the usual timetable look like? - there is no usual time table, if you are doing A levels chances are that you will have a good number of free periods
    3)do you have lectures from monday to friday? - yes
    4)how does your day look like (when do you get up?, when do you finish yopur lectues?) - when i get up everything looks a little blurry, lectures finish around 4pm unless i have frees at the end of the day
    5)are the private (i'm not sure if it is the right word, I mean schools, universities that you have to pay for a lot of money) schools diffrent from the public universities? - yes schools and unis are different, at least so i'm told
    6)is every university co-educational? - not sure but there shud b exceptions
    7)what usually students do in the evenings? - get drunk on cheap beer in the pub down the street
    8)Do mamy young people study? or do they look for a job just after a secondary school? - from what i know, most ppl nowdays go on to some degree or uni, then if they drop out its another story

its hard to find one way to describe the life of a student in the UK without falling into stereotypes :rolleyes: but generally its not very different from many other countries in that sense

--------------

(Original post by Poica)
    I'm doing History at York -
    I'm applying to York too (for economics thou :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolo)
    I'm applying to York too (for economics thou :p: )
    Might see you about next year then!

ReputationRep:
    yess thet'd b kl :cool: :cool: u cud tell me all the kl places to go out and all the little things about student life that i will not know

ReputationRep:
    Okay I did a degree in chemistry at St Andrews in Scotland:

(Original post by lavilion)
    1) I studied for 4 years to get my undergraduate masters degree
    2) I had between 15 and 33 hours a week of class and labs depending on year.
    3) Yes I had lectures everyday.
    4) I usually got up for breakfast at about 8 am, first lecure or lab at 9 am and either finishing at lunchtime or a full day - then some library work 1 - 2 hours and then to the pub!!!
    5) There is only one private university in this country so I can't make a fair comparison. I do believe that that university still takes on students with standard government funding.
    6) Every university is co-educational, but some have single-sex accommodation and even colleges.
    7) Go to a local bar.
    8) The government aims to have 50% of all young people studying at university, at the moment it is somewhere in the 40% area - this has steadily increased from about 6% in the 1960s.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.