The Student Room Group

Accounting degree, but only 295 UCAS points - any good?

Hi,

I'm a first year computer science student, and I've been thinking about switching over to the Accounting and Finance degree at my uni. However, I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do, as I only have 295 UCAS points (from when I did my A-levels in 2001) and I know that many accountancy graduate jobs require a certain number of points.

I'm a mature student (27), and had to complete a foundation year at my uni before I was allowed to begin my degree (and got an average of 80.3% overall). It's not worth any UCAS points, but surely it has to be worth something on an application, unless I would just be automatically filtered out in the recruitment process for not having enough points - but I find it hard to accept that mature students would be discriminated against in such a way for not having the cookie cutter route of A-levels and whatnot.

It seems ridiculous that my A-levels from 10 years ago could still come back to haunt me and ruin my chances - is that really the case? Do these graduate schemes make allowances for mature students who haven't gone through the education system in the usual way?
Original post by ectogamet
Hi,

I'm a first year computer science student, and I've been thinking about switching over to the Accounting and Finance degree at my uni. However, I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do, as I only have 295 UCAS points (from when I did my A-levels in 2001) and I know that many accountancy graduate jobs require a certain number of points.

I'm a mature student (27), and had to complete a foundation year at my uni before I was allowed to begin my degree (and got an average of 80.3% overall). It's not worth any UCAS points, but surely it has to be worth something on an application, unless I would just be automatically filtered out in the recruitment process for not having enough points - but I find it hard to accept that mature students would be discriminated against in such a way for not having the cookie cutter route of A-levels and whatnot.

It seems ridiculous that my A-levels from 10 years ago could still come back to haunt me and ruin my chances - is that really the case? Do these graduate schemes make allowances for mature students who haven't gone through the education system in the usual way?

There will be someone who can give more specific advice, but;

I'm pretty sure the average company taking on an accountancy graduate won't be too bothered about UCAS points. I suppose the more prestigeous the firm, the higher their requirements will be, just like in most professions, so the top london firms who have the pick of loads of people can be more fussy, but my local high street accountants probably won't care about A Level grades at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending