Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How much if there are your university? I know at my brothers, Loughborough, there is quite a lot, but that might have something to do with the fierce competitive spirit gained by having lots of atheletes and sportsman in the fray. But it's not only sports where they are compeitive - Drinking games, all sorts. Well, noly drinking games really, but you know.

I'd love to go to a uni with a real sense of hall unity against other halls. Also, has there ever been any kind of LSE vs KCL type stuff going on? I read one thing about these guys who went round this this water baloon launcher, attacking all the other halls from afar then running off in the dark, and it basically started a massive campus war of pranks and just fun little jokey things against each others halls - nothing vicious, like. Each hall sending out crack teams of pranksters at night to do whatever.

I love the idea of all that. Maybe it's cause I have the mental age of 4, but seriously, what's the rivalry like at yours?!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Though it's not as 'big' as at unis like Oxford or Cambridge, there is some inter-college rivalry at York Uni. This is seem most through college sport events played throughout the year.

At York there is also the annual 'Roses' sports competition between York and Lancaster Universities with dozens of sports from football to ballroom dancing played.

ReputationRep:
    There is rivalry between Holland Hall and Duryard Halls at Exeter. Duryard dislike Holland because Duryard is old and basic, whereas Holland is brand new. The Yard reckons they make up for that with social life...whatever! Lol, it's all good-natured though!

ReputationRep:
    Haven't really noticed any at Manc. Maybe there is a little animosity between those formerly part of UMIST and Victoria, but that's fairly irrelevant for new students.

ReputationRep:
    None. oh, we went to a party in one of the halls and taped up 4 doors with duct tape. I think it's because i dont go to a stereotypical uni, thank god.

ReputationRep:
    at bath there is a kinda rivalry between eastwood and westwood, which is all light hearted, but was great in the snowfight( that i bloody well missed grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr). and a big catapault was used by the eastwood people( go eastwood)

ReputationRep:
    There's some at Reading University, particularly between the lovely Wantage Hall and the concrete dump beside it, Wells Hall...

No prizes for guessing which hall I was in!

ReputationRep:
    the concrete dump?

ReputationRep:
    theres a fair bit of rivalry at Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    Aah, Plenty here. Not to any extreme level, But Monte + Stoneham dont Like Connaight, Who in turn the whole wessex lane complex are aganist the glen eyres. The Uni doesnt help with the 'Hall Wars' events where members from eac halls particpate in loads of drinking contests.. But ahh I do love my hall spirit. Go Montee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imaad)
    the concrete dump?
    No, Wantage Hall.

ReputationRep:
    There is quite a bit at Bristol Uni, especially between Wills Hall and Hiatt Backer (apparently it used to be Wills vs Churchill). That's only at the Stoke Bishop Halls though... not sure about the clifton Halls...

ReputationRep:
    There isn't a major one here really. Some people **** us off because we are in the more expensive and nicer halls, but nothing serious has happened ...yet!

ReputationRep:
    theres a bit in sheffield, much more inter university rivalry though, if anyone tells me they're going to sheffield then I find out its hallam, ooh, dear me, really its a insult to confuse the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    theres a bit in sheffield, much more inter university rivalry though, if anyone tells me they're going to sheffield then I find out its hallam, ooh, dear me, really its a insult to confuse the two.
    Pretty much Like The Southampton Uni/Southampton 'solent' Institute Battle.. Oh the fun.

ReputationRep:
    most cities have a real uni and a 'sucker' which is rubbish (though sometimes the second uni isn't too bad, Nottingham Trent for instance) whichever it's just asking for rivalry

a newsreporter once made the mistake of calling Brookes a college of Oxford mwhaaahaa :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    We've got inter-block rivalry in our halll!

Apparantly the inter0-college rivalry at Durham can be pretty fierce

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster uni has college rivarly between the 8 undergrad colleges (the one graduate college doesnt really get involved)

Then there is the Lancs v York uni Roses battle held once a year which I think is at Lancaster this year - good weekend if its sunny and warm

ReputationRep:
    There's a war going on at York with some of the lads in Goodricke (my college and probably the worst accommodation on campus) and some of the lads in James (the nicest accommodation on campus) - something bizzare to do with stealing chairs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gianthead)
    most cities have a real uni and a 'sucker' which is rubbish (though sometimes the second uni isn't too bad, Nottingham Trent for instance) whichever it's just asking for rivalry
    Lol, it's like that here with Cardiff and UWIC (not that I'm calling UWIC rubbish, but there is a bit of rivalry)

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.