The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Used to be lots between Wills and Churchill @ Bristol, but that all stopped once the core perpetrators graduated...though looking back through hall archives reveals it to be a very long running 'battle' that resurfaces every few years!

I think Churchill won the last bount. In the middle of the wardens speech during their friday formal, amidst all the pop and splendor... A group of comrades infiltrated the deepest darkest depths of Wills...and pulled the plug on the proceedings. Literally. :-)

It's normally all friendly and in good jest. Other notable incindents would be Churchill sprinting back with the Wills XMas tree (which is MASSIVE)...pursued by the wills rugger team (leading to showdown in our bar...though that was a couple of years before my time). Or a certain hall president announcing, much to both hall wardens utter horrer "...and after the bar shuts, lets go and ***** up wills". The result of that nights events got the rivalry 'stopped', and it has yet to regain momentum...

Think it's HB/Wills now....
Reply 21
we have the tab rivalry, college rivalries and at lmh we have block rivalries and even corridor rrivalries. as well as north v south, public v state...
brabzzz
Used to be lots between Wills and Churchill @ Bristol, but that all stopped once the core perpetrators graduated...though looking back through hall archives reveals it to be a very long running 'battle' that resurfaces every few years!

I think Churchill won the last bount. In the middle of the wardens speech during their friday formal, amidst all the pop and splendor... A group of comrades infiltrated the deepest darkest depths of Wills...and pulled the plug on the proceedings. Literally. :-)

It's normally all friendly and in good jest. Other notable incindents would be Churchill sprinting back with the Wills XMas tree (which is MASSIVE)...pursued by the wills rugger team (leading to showdown in our bar...though that was a couple of years before my time). Or a certain hall president announcing, much to both hall wardens utter horrer "...and after the bar shuts, lets go and ***** up wills". The result of that nights events got the rivalry 'stopped', and it has yet to regain momentum...

Think it's HB/Wills now....

Yeah, it definitely is Wills vs Hiatt Baker now! Although, I haven't heard how Wills has responded to any HB pranks.... Seems to be HB pulling them on Wills, and Wills not doing any in return. But I could be wrong! lol
Inter-hall rivalry? Sounds totally pathetic, and totally unsurprising. Man, they give degrees to some real dimwits.
tommorris
Inter-hall rivalry? Sounds totally pathetic, and totally unsurprising. Man, they give degrees to some real dimwits.
:p: did you have your sense of humour removed at an early age? no on said they devoted their whole university career to interhall rivallery, it's just fun :wink:
gianthead
:p: did you have your sense of humour removed at an early age? no on said they devoted their whole university career to interhall rivallery, it's just fun :wink:

No, it's just a bit stupid. And not particularly funny.

"Huh huh huh. We're, like, in this hall."
"Yeah!"
"Huh huh huh. And they're, like, not. They're somewhere else."
"Yeah!"
"Huh huh huh. Let's, like, start a rivalry with them. Because they live somewhere else and we live here. That's so funny!"
Reply 26
tommorris
No, it's just a bit stupid. And not particularly funny.

"Huh huh huh. We're, like, in this hall."
"Yeah!"
"Huh huh huh. And they're, like, not. They're somewhere else."
"Yeah!"
"Huh huh huh. Let's, like, start a rivalry with them. Because they live somewhere else and we live here. That's so funny!"

So, in response, Mr Morris appears to be saying: "Yes. I had my sense of humour removed at the age of 3 when excessive tickling ruptured my gall bladder."
Reply 27
There's loads at Nottingham, especially between the 12 catered halls on campus. We have hall songs and play eachother at sports and compete to raise the most money for charity. You do get a real sense of hall spirit. Halls that are close to eachother tend to play practical jokes on eachother as well.

Then of course there is the Nottingham Uni, Notts Trent Uni rivalry, although we don't mix that much in groups. xx
I bet you have LOADS of friends, don't you Tommorris? Loads.

Keep up the stories people, this is exactly what i was looking for!
tommorris
wow! I wish there'd been more people like you when sport was invented cos then it wouldn't've been invented :wink: teams would've been out of the question :rolleyes:
Poica
So, in response, Mr Morris appears to be saying: "Yes. I had my sense of humour removed at the age of 3 when excessive tickling ruptured my gall bladder."

Of course. I'm also a eunuch living in a cave. I'm using the wi-fi connection of the local yuppies using the computer I put together by setting light to old Pepsi cans that I found on the beach.

Or rather: my sense of humour revolves around stuff that is actually funny rather than "them there are different. Haw haw!"

DanGrover
I bet you have LOADS of friends, don't you Tommorris? Loads.

Ah, of course, because anyone who suggests that inter-hall rivalries are more suited to primary school than university must be instantly friendless. Or perhaps this conclusion can be reached by simply saying that anyone with an IQ over 105 must be, ipso facto, an unsociable hermit.

On the same logic, I bonked your mum with my huge willy and am now consuming the yoghurt I stole from her voluptuous fridge.

gianthead
wow! I wish there'd been more people like you when sport was invented cos then it wouldn't've been invented :wink: teams would've been out of the question :rolleyes:

Sounds good to me. I guess to remedy this attitude, I'll have to myself in the position of the rampaging England football fan rather than the terrorised local resident. :rolleyes:

I guess that the suggestion that God does not exist, that the Queen is a useless whore and that religion is dumb doesn't rile anybody any more. No, I have to pour scorn on the sacred cow of inter-hall rivalries to get any response. Thus proving my exact point - that universities are accepting people who have the intellectual maturity of a primary school student in special classes. Next time, I'll be sure not to insult kisschase or ring-a-ring-o'-roses or, shock horror, the sack race.
Reply 31
tommorris
Of course. I'm also a eunuch living in a cave. I'm using the wi-fi connection of the local yuppies using the computer I put together by setting light to old Pepsi cans that I found on the beach.

Or rather: my sense of humour revolves around stuff that is actually funny rather than "them there are different. Haw haw!"

Ah, of course, because anyone who suggests that inter-hall rivalries are more suited to primary school than university must be instantly friendless. Or perhaps this conclusion can be reached by simply saying that anyone with an IQ over 105 must be, ipso facto, an unsociable hermit.

On the same logic, I bonked your mum with my huge willy and am now consuming the yoghurt I stole from her voluptuous fridge.

Sounds good to me. I guess to remedy this attitude, I'll have to myself in the position of the rampaging England football fan rather than the terrorised local resident. :rolleyes:

I guess that the suggestion that God does not exist, that the Queen is a useless whore and that religion is dumb doesn't rile anybody any more. No, I have to pour scorn on the sacred cow of inter-hall rivalries to get any response. Thus proving my exact point - that universities are accepting people who have the intellectual maturity of a primary school student in special classes. Next time, I'll be sure not to insult kisschase or ring-a-ring-o'-roses or, shock horror, the sack race.

Honey, no-one here is insulted - you're just being silly. Inter-hall rivalries are merely a small amount of fun, and a chance, yes, for University students to act like children one last time. You spend the rest of your life being serious and behaving well; why start early when you're given a free rein to be silly?
Christ, it's like he's trying to usurp Profesh and failing horribly.
Reply 33
DanGrover
Christ, it's like he's trying to usurp Profesh and failing horribly.

Ha ha, very true!!
Reply 34
Collegiate Unis have the most/best inter college rivalaries I'd say.
I plead ignorance of this subject: In general how far away are the different colleges in collegiate systems? I mean, if raging LSE students and KCL students can find each other to beat down English departments and steal philosophers head, it can't be too far, right?
Reply 36
like, erhm, huh huh huh huh. funnny huh huh huh huh.

tommoris, I have diagnosed the TWO reasons why you have dispayed such dislike of inter hall university antics...

1) A genuine sense of humour failiure. Not because you're not amused by silly inter hall antics - not everyone partakes, many don't see the point and most see it as immature and a bit below them. But most find it amusing, its pretty harmess and if those involved derive some fun from it, what's the problem? On the other hand, YOU, claiming to have a sense of humour that revolves around 'funny stuff' then write a series of 'trying to be funny and clever' posts that are crude, immature and very difinitely un-funny. But hey, maybe i just don't get em, hey? :wink:

2) Ignorance. You wouldn't know inter hall rivalry of the sort we're talking if it bit you on the arse. No terrorised local residents, no rampaging students causing tons of damage, no football thugs. Thats not the sort of antics I was referring to. Maybe thats how it is down where you study, I'd like to think our 'antics' are more immature, childish, harmless and funny - and therefore ok. I think that's what the Op meant, rather than wholesale vandalism and terrorising the locals and hating the other halls students (how the hell did you even come up with that)?

Not sure what IQ has to do with it either.
Reply 37
There is some extremely strong rivalry at Nottingham. Rutland and Sherwood hate each other. They're right next to each other and I've seen fights outside and Rutlanders have covered parts of Sherwood in faeces. Fire alarms are often set off by people from the opposite hall and there's just generally a really strong rivalry, mainly due to the halls being the only two with a genuine chance of winning Karni.
Reply 38
Ahhh, in that case I plead ignorance and definitley agree that fire alarms are a stupid joke to pull.

I've been chased left right and center by campus and union security peeps...hell of a night. But they were awake anyway...I think a key boundary is pissing off people that don't want to be involved, such as fellow students in the ealt hours. I personally think we did the hall a favour by letting rip with an 1000rpm BB gun at the goon taking a dump in the middle of our lawn....

Fire alarms...

a) At 4am, i'd throttle the perpetrator.
b) Whenever a breakglass is smashed and the firebrigade come rolling up, the hall gets charged hundreds of pounds (well, thats the case at Bristol) if it's a flase alarm. We had a period of these (like 5+ a week) by drunk people IN the hall. *****. They got caught and rather than get thrown out agreed to help clean dishes in the canteen for a term!
~Sam~
Lol, it's like that here with Cardiff and UWIC (not that I'm calling UWIC rubbish, but there is a bit of rivalry)

There's some between Swansea and Swansea Institute, but not as much as between places like Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam, maybe because the campuses aren't that close to each other.

Latest

Trending

Trending