The Student Room Group

Bad grades, need realistic chances?

Gonna get straight to it, finished year 13 now, just applied for middlesex + a few more, late, my gcses weren't great at all, mainly d's and c's with an A and a B, however my A levels I'm looking at ACE, only need 220 ucas points for the course I really want, will they take my gcses into great consideration!? As I'm ****ting it a little bit because if i don't get in it's game over for my life.
Reply 1
As far as I'm aware, it's only really the top universities that take your GCSE grades into consideration; I'm not saying they won't look on them but I don't think they'd have as big an effect as they would if you were applying for somewhere like Oxbridge. I could be wrong, but as far as GCSEs go I don't think they're THAT important unless you're up against very strong candidates. I'd say it's much more important that you can actually achieve the required UCAS points.
Reply 2
Original post by Seb1993
If i don't get in it's game over for my life.

No it's not.
You haven't gave any information really so I can't say much. what course are you applying for? It's rather important.
You wont be denied just on your GCSE results unless you are applying for a very popular course and even then GCSEs will not count into their decision hugely. For example if I saw a student that got perfect GCSE's at school but then got F's at A level I might think he will struggle at university. If I see someone with poor GCSEs but high A level results it shows quite clearly that you didn't do poor in your GCSEs because you lacked the mental capacity.

I hope this helped but what I would do if I was you is stop worrying, it's out of your hands.
Even if they denied you there is other ways to get into university next year, fondation course, access course and re-takes to name a few.

Also, now that the government screwed up the universities you probably wont have much competition. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
The vast majority of universities will require you to have english and maths GCSE at grade C or above. If you have these you should be able to get into a relatively decent institution.
As long as you meet the course prerequisites (often Maths/English at C) then it won't matter very much. I have worse GCSE results than you and have had offers from various universities with much more stringent entry requirements. :smile:
its normally 5 A-C with C in english and maths. Sometimes they ask for a B in maths if its a business/maths course or a B in English if its english/history/law/ etc
Reply 6
Original post by paddy__power
As long as you meet the course prerequisites (often Maths/English at C) then it won't matter very much. I have worse GCSE results than you and have had offers from various universities with much more stringent entry requirements. :smile:

Yeah this isusually the case. I'm looking for biology kinda courses and quite a few of those want at least C or B in gcse science aswell . . .
Reply 7
I'm applying for business management and Spanish, joint honours, I have an A* in Spanish gcse an got a C at A level so I'm good on the Spanish side of things, got a D in maths tho :/ but C in English and science.... Then mainly D's in crap subjects like religious studies and design tech! Just a bit worried as I applied late as well that they might not offer me a place!
Original post by Seb1993
I'm applying for business management and Spanish, joint honours, I have an A* in Spanish gcse an got a C at A level so I'm good on the Spanish side of things, got a D in maths tho :/ but C in English and science.... Then mainly D's in crap subjects like religious studies and design tech! Just a bit worried as I applied late as well that they might not offer me a place!

When did you apply?

Did you call/email to ensure they were still accepting applications?

Did you call/email to ensure that your GCSEs would not be a problem?
Original post by rugbyladosc
its normally 5 A-C with C in english and maths. Sometimes they ask for a B in maths if its a business/maths course or a B in English if its english/history/law/ etc

It's barely ever 5 GCSEs. Matriculation requirements are usually, if anything, 5 qualifications of above GCSE level. I, for example, have three GCSEs but 3 AS levels and 4 A2s and this is fine.
Original post by Seb1993

Your VIth form should not have let you get away with not re-sitting and re-sitting maths until they got you through it.

When you get to university, you need to find yourself the local FE college and get the maths GCSE. No-one is ever going to take you seriously for a management job without GCSE maths. In the real world employers only care about two GCSEs, maths and English but they are rarely convinced by any substitutes.
Reply 11
They are definitely still taking as I've had emails saying they're gonna consider my application an this normally takes 4 weeks bla bla bla, but yeah I definitely need to get that maths gcse and I'll sort that out once I get to uni! (hopefully).... The course spec never said anything about maths only English grade c or above
Reply 12
Original post by Seb1993
They are definitely still taking as I've had emails saying they're gonna consider my application an this normally takes 4 weeks bla bla bla, but yeah I definitely need to get that maths gcse and I'll sort that out once I get to uni! (hopefully).... The course spec never said anything about maths only English grade c or above

Have Middlesex got back to you yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending