Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I've been reading that woofers produces lower frequency waves and thus the louder the sound why is this? can anyone explain it in terms of waves please

Thanks for your time
    From John Wood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo1)
    Hello, I've been reading that woofers produces lower frequency waves and thus the louder the sound why is this? can anyone explain it in terms of waves please

Thanks for your time
    From John Wood
    I'm not sure if what you just said was correct.

You can take 2 measurements from any wave, its frequency and its amplitude.
    Woofers (a term you will find a lot in car sound systems. Sub woofers/bass tubes etc.) are devices than concern themselves with low frequencies. Tweeters (the opposite term of woofers used in ICE In-Car-Entertainment/speaker talk) are concerned with high frequencies.

Low frequencies give low notes. High frequencies give high notes.

But loudness is to do with a wave's amplitude. You can have a low frequency wave and a high frequency wave with the same amplitude - they would have the same loudness.

Maybe you're talking about loudness and resonance? This has something to with the design of the box you put a speaker in.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i think its to do with resonance.... i just dont understand it and btw if u have as u said a low frequency and a high frequency wave with same amplitude if it would be a song what would be the difference between both??

thanks for your time
    From John Wood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo1)
    Yeah i think its to do with resonance.... i just dont understand it and btw if u have as u said a low frequency and a high frequency wave with same amplitude if it would be a song what would be the difference between both??
    Im not sure what your asking? Are you asking what difference would ours ears hear from a low frequency and high frequency sound of same amplitude?

Well they would be just as loud - but different in pitch. Amplitude changes loudness. Frequency changes pitch. Not sure if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    take a look at this site might help

http://amjadsa123.blogspot.com/

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.