DSA Help?

    • Thread Starter


    I was recently diagnosed with dyslexia and dyspraxia, anxiety problems and suffer from extreme panic attacks, I also have a past with eating disorders, depression and other mental health problems.

    My doctor has advised me to get a non-medical helper/life coach to help me get through university due to the severity of my problems. My doctor has written me a letter for all medical problems.

    I was just wondering how I apply for a non medical carer as when I spoke to the help desk at uni, I was told all i could get was a fellow student to help me, my doctor said that that was uesless to me as i was in need of help from somebody qualified and according to the direct gov website, it says nothing about my helper needing to be a student.

    I just wanted to know if anyone could help me out?

    Have you applied for DSA?
    It has to be applied for like student loans. The uni do not provide paid for help, it has to paid for through DSA. It is possible to get what you ask for through DSA.

    Yeah DSA is the way to go. Some unis will provide you with study support whether or not you are in receipt of DSA, but it'd only mean you get very limited support. My uni for example, they would give you a tutor whom you can make an appointment to meet once a week or sth to discuss your work, do editing etc etc. I think you first step is to have a chat with the study support / disabillity team at your uni, ot the uni you are going to go, they would be in a position to give you further advice and answer any question you have.
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 28, 2011
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Tea vs coffee

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.