The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mau5
Ranger needs a season out on loan really, he's showed glimpses of ability but always looks better coming from the bench.

Really impressed by the Cabaye deal, could be a big influence on other potential signings and retaining some of our better players.

Reo-Coker is an abomination of a footballer though, being better than Smith should not be any grounds to sign a player.

Indeed. Ranger has some good attributes. I think if he goes out on loan to a championship club next season where he's promised a starting spot it'll be good for him.

Everyone says Cabaye is great. I'm glad we've started the ball rolling with getting players in. That 18 year old and Cabaye. We've really been scouting in France.

Reo-Coker i think is a good player. & Cabaye will replace Barton. We saw when Tiote was suspended how we coped having to use Smith or Guthrie. Reo-Coker would be better than them. & Getting rid of Smith would be welcome considering his wages.
Reply 41
From Bartons Twitter,

Cabaye = happy days.........keep spending. Teams win trophies not individuals tweeps
Reply 42
Original post by Vintage
Indeed. Ranger has some good attributes. I think if he goes out on loan to a championship club next season where he's promised a starting spot it'll be good for him.

Everyone says Cabaye is great. I'm glad we've started the ball rolling with getting players in. That 18 year old and Cabaye. We've really been scouting in France.

Reo-Coker i think is a good player. & Cabaye will replace Barton. We saw when Tiote was suspended how we coped having to use Smith or Guthrie. Reo-Coker would be better than them. & Getting rid of Smith would be welcome considering his wages.

Cabaye doesn't play the same position or role as Barton so he'll not straight out replace him. I think we'll adopt the Spurs system next season though, and we'll need two pacey wingers for that so it probably explains why we've apparently offered big money to get Gervinho in.

Wonder how Goslin is getting on, he'll be like a new signing aswell when he gets fit.
Reply 43
Loads of papers reporting we are lining up getting Berbatov in on a £7.5m deal. Probs rubbish but he'd be a great signing.

Doesn't fit our set of buying in youth though. But 7.5m for the leagues top scorer?
On my twitter, I am keeping people updated with the latest news. I have various journos added.
Reply 45
Original post by Vintage
Loads of papers reporting we are lining up getting Berbatov in on a £7.5m deal. Probs rubbish but he'd be a great signing.

Doesn't fit our set of buying in youth though. But 7.5m for the leagues top scorer?

I can see that happening actually, although I'm not sure if I'd be happy with it.

Out of favour at Man U, unlikely to be sold to Liverpool, Man City or Chelsea, I doubt Spurs would have him back, Wenger certainly wouldn't have him, and didn't he claim to be an NUFC fan a while back?

We've been down the out of favour "big names" road a while back, and look where that led us, but the leagues top scorer for £7.5mil would be too hard to pass up.
Reply 46
On reflection I hope we don't sign Berbatov.

Shola-esque laid back approach to games, which will hardly endear him to fans. He isn't someone you can rely on to score regularly, and goes missing in far too many games. (Yes he scored 20 goals this season, but a quarter of those were scored in one game!! Add in the other couple of hat-tricks he got this season and you'll find he scored over half his goals in just 3 games!) He's a flair player, the type that teams in the lower half of the league can't afford to carry.

Then you've got his bad attitude and massive ego, which needs massaging to the extend that he wants to be the big fish in a small pond. And finally his wages. He'll want to be paid a canny amount presumably, money that would be better spent extending the contracts of Barton and Jose, surely!
Reply 47
Leeds > Newcastle

FACT
Reply 48
Original post by adam_leeds
Leeds > Newcastle

FACT

Yeah yeah, jog on son.

Not even going to bother arguing with you, come back when you've thought of something proper to say.
Reply 49
Original post by kingkev
come back when you've thought of something proper to say.

I would but i'm too busy laughing at when people call newcastle a big club.
Reply 50
I would but i'm too busy laughing at when people call newcastle a big club.

Nope :no:, still not doing it for me.
Reply 51
Original post by kingkev
Nope :no:, still not doing it for me.

Neither is newcastle winning any trophies.
Reply 52
Original post by Deep456
On my twitter, I am keeping people updated with the latest news. I have various journos added.

What's your twitter? I hope you are not yet another one of these tossers spreading *******s on there because it's extremely sad. Leave it to the proper journos, they are bad enough.
I wondered when the next troll would turn up in here. We haven't had one in a while.
Reply 54
I think Berba is on something like 90k a week at us. Wouldn't signing him completely break your wage structure?

Anyway, he'd have better clubs in Europe after him if he was made available.
I don't believe Berbatov coming here for a second. Much as I'd love it, because the guy is pure class and at our club would be head and shoulders above everyone else, but there'll be enough bigger clubs than us going for Berbatov if he is leaving.
Reply 56
Leeds > Newcastle

FACT

I see the Leeds United thread is going strong. :smile:
Reply 57
Berba would probably want Champions League/Europa League football as well. Can't really see it happening, especially with our transfer policy.
Reply 58
Original post by kingkev
Berba would probably want Champions League/Europa League football as well. Can't really see it happening, especially with our transfer policy.

I'm sceptical of the whole Berba saga but...

If Berbatov is to leave Man Utd. If he wanted to remain in England. Who would buy him?
I'd rule City, Arsenal, Chelsea & Liverpool out.
To Spurs would hang on if Redknapp wanted him back. Then that leaves us, Everton, Villa or Sunderland. It would be Newcastle i reckon.

Plus we would promise Berba a start every game. & he'd be our star man.

Plus Berby used to be a Toon fan when he was young!
Berba won't come to us. Bigger clubs will clamber for him if Man U actually want to get rid of him.

Latest