The Student Room Group

Hearing Aids

I’ve just got one to try out.
Don’t think it’s set loud enough & haven’t worn it much- because it’s noticeable :rolleyes: , but this is just to see what it’s like/get used to it, then I can have a proper invisible one.

Slightly odd, I’ve never had much hearing in one ear y’see, and it’s slightly like a new dimension :eek: Not sure if I like it, it’s new and I like my dimension, :cool:

Anyone willing to share their experiences of getting an aid? Anonymously if you like, way too much of a stigma attached to it, no-one cares if you have glasses but oOo, a hearing aid, big deal /grumble groan.

Oh yeah, that brings me to another point- how do I broach the subject with my friends? I don’t want to lie to them, but I don’t want to discuss it with them. My evil “best mate” could also take the piss somewhat. Besides, I’m not even sure I like this, but I s’pose I can’t evaluate it based on a few hours wearing it.

Any help much appreciated. (sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum mods :confused: )
Reply 1
I'm mostly deaf in my left ear. They gave me a hearing aid about 18 months ago and I couldn't stand it - I wore it about once and haven't ever worn it since. I felt like a freak to be honest. It gave me terrible ear ache and things sounded weird and alienated. I get by fine without it although people think I'm been ignorant soemntimes and I mis-hear what people say and sometimes embarass myself :colondollar:
Reply 2
I av been hearing impaired since birth and i have always worn hearing aids...my friends love me for who i am...and im engaged to a brill fella, plus i am doin a teaching degree at the mo! forget about outside influences and concentrate on what matters to u and what can make u happy! Rambling on about hearing aids is not goin to make u happy...u just have to accept them and they wuill become a way of life to u!! U C!!!
Reply 3
I'd say take it on a good test run before deciding whether to get one or not. If you are happy with the way your hearing is and it doesn't negatively impact your life then you can always chose to carry on without one. Do allow yourself to fully test and get used to it though. It will be a big change to get used to and often something new can seem totally wrong, but you might surprise yourself and grow to enjoy having it too! I'm not speaking from the point of view of someone with an aid..but one of my good friends has one and we chatted quite a bit about how she hated it at first! Now it's just part of her and she doesn't even seem to know it's there.

As for the friends..I know it's the big old cliche but if they have problems with you getting a hearing aid or they treat you weirdly then they're not really your mates. If you don't want to lie or bring it up, how about just wearing it? That way you're not making a big deal over it and they probably won't either.
Reply 4
my friend wears one - she lost some of her hearing when she had menigitis - when i first met her i noticed it - but only cos it was different - it was a glittery one
but its not an issue and if your friends make it into one then there not very good friends surely they would rather be able to have a conversation with out having to reapeat themselves if you've miss heard
Reply 5
hehe

ive had a hearing aid in my right ear since i was 8..as my hearing in both ears mysteriously disappeared :frown:.

it was a major shock to the system, being a normal kid. then all of a sudden, ur different and having loads of tests cuz no1 knows what happened to you!

today i just dont care anymore, it has its advantages, like not being able to hear my bf snore next to me, and when things get too loud i just turn it off (although im almost profoundly deaf without it)

throughout school i was really self concious of it though, and u always get ***** that shout of you thinking its the best thing to do. there are always people who really take the wrong approach.

the only really bad point about it is...well people discriminate against you when it comes to job hunting :frown:

but saffie, if u ever wanna talk about it, im here :hugs: :smile:
Reply 6
Oh yeah, that brings me to another point- how do I broach the subject with my friends? I don’t want to lie to them, but I don’t want to discuss it with them. My evil “best mate” could also take the piss somewhat. Besides, I’m not even sure I like this, but I s’pose I can’t evaluate it based on a few hours wearing it.

what i did was just not say anything and people work it out soon enough, and they usually dont say anything about it to u, but just accept it. the tw*ts that take the piss just arnt worth being m8s with.
Reply 7
i was born completely deaf in one ear n partially in the other. people often think im being ignorant cos aometimes i can hear sosome times i cant - depending on the frequency you speak in and background noise. i have a digital aid and loop system. on the whole people have been ok with me about the hearing...iv been bullied a lot but i think thats other stuff? but iv always had it so...? i dont use my hearing aid often cos it feels quite strange to me.
Reply 8
The Crow
i was born completely deaf in one ear n partially in the other. people often think im being ignorant cos aometimes i can hear sosome times i cant - depending on the frequency you speak in and background noise. i have a digital aid and loop system. on the whole people have been ok with me about the hearing...iv been bullied a lot but i think thats other stuff? but iv always had it so...? i dont use my hearing aid often cos it feels quite strange to me.

i cant survive without my hearing aid. with it my hearings like...85% without its like 5% so i need it. but i have had one for 10 years so u get used to it!
and i only have ever had an analogue aid, i hate the digital ones! too much artificual intellegence!...im happy with my hearing just being aplified!

i hate noisy places tho. i can never follow convos :frown:
Reply 9
heay u can visit " center for hearing aids delhi" and can get
a list of available hearing aids with price

Latest