Does philosophy/ethics get any easier?? Watch

vintage.queen
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Im finding philosophy so difficult! Does it get any easier for A2 as I really think I might drop it...i I think we are AQA not sure. Design and cosmological argument, miracles, utilitarianism etc......plz give me your views!!!!!! :confused:
LittleMissShine
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well I do Religious Studies (Philosophy and Ethics) at A2. I covered all those topics you mentioned last year apart from miracles. I found Utilitarianism pretty easy, but it depends on the type of utilitarianism your covering which i suspect is both Rule and Act Utilitarianism, and I found the other topics you mention ok. For me it was just basically going over my notes talking about it with other people in your class always help. Why not try asking you teacher to go over a few things with you, if you are really struggling.
Melana
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
To be blunt - nothing gets easier at A2. You might find you get more used to how to structure an essay, and find you're covering simliar topics so understanding it is easier. If it's taking time away from your other subjects, then drop it. There's nothing more horrible than constantly finding a subject a struggle! Are you taking 4 AS levels?
vintage.queen
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
yup 4 AS's. My teacher is really rubbish though cos she gives us a load of notes photocopied from degree level books and just says to read them. She never really goes through it even when we ask her.
Melana
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmm.. I know the feeling. Tricky, doesn't sound like a good teacher, if you're finding it too hard then it might be easier on balance to drop it - would gain you some lovely frees! What other subjects are you taking? Just coz philosophy looks good, was wondering if your other ones are as impressive..?
Icy Ghost
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I do Philosophy AS and I admit it's quite confusing, but I'm sure if you try and read more about it, you'll get to grips with some of the style and material you have to work with and just do loads of exam questions to help you on your essays.
I'm not sure what you cover in Philosophy/Ethics but I find wider reading is a very useful thing to do as it broadens your ability to criticise if you know the topics well and other authors' views on it.
Good luck!
yorkshirelass
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Melana)
Hmm.. I know the feeling. Tricky, doesn't sound like a good teacher, if you're finding it too hard then it might be easier on balance to drop it - would gain you some lovely frees! What other subjects are you taking? Just coz philosophy looks good, was wondering if your other ones are as impressive..?
Heh, I like Johnathan Rice.

Anyway, Philosophy is very rewarding if you stick with it. We started off studying Epistemology last year and at first I felt it was so abstract and difficult that I wouldn't ever get my head round it. I just made sure I read through my notes and did outside reading and research (it's probably more important to do this in Philosophy than any other subject). By the time I finished that it was so much easier to understand Ethics and Descartes' Meditations (our set book).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (54)
28.88%
No - I got the required grades (110)
58.82%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise