The Student Room Group

party tips

i'm having one at my house on new years eve, anyone got any tips apart from the obvious things i.e hiding fragile things, leaving buckets around for sick etc :p:

i already put on the invites to arrive before 11 cos i'm not answering the door after that, no sex in my house and if they want to bring friends they have to check with me first cos anybody not on the guest list ain't coming in. i'm not gonna have that many people, probably a max of 40-50. or is that too much? yeah anyway, tips please!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
avoid hip hop music which was released post 2000; it's the root of all evil and social chaos. put together a nice compilation of classic 90s tunes and the party'll be swinging like a grandfather cock.
get some bouncers in! :p:
Reply 3
put some old school hip hop on...
State if they have to bring their own alcohol or not, buy some extra just in case.

Have some cleaning stuff handy in case anything gets spilled.

Make sure you say whether people can stop over or not.

Buy some mixers, coke, lemonade, so people arent drinking straight stuff.

Get some cards or pictionary for when people go home and theres only about ten left, that will do you until morning.

Lots of plastic cups!!!

Some crisps and nibbles to soak up the alcohol

Karoake can be fun too
Reply 5
thanks those are good! :biggrin: any more?
Put watre in the buckets you leave around... it aids in the cleaning out of the vomit.
Reply 7
oh also, this sounds really dumb but what do i do with the buckets afterwards? empty them in the bin/toilet/other?
Reply 8
toilet/bin is good.

I'd try to make sure some bigish guys are there in case anything dodgy happens.

40-50 people is a fair few, depends on the size of the house etc though really.

edit- tell the neighbours too, especially if its gonna go on late/you have fireworks (our neighbours got VERY pissed off with us last term due to one party). Also whats your policy gonna be on people taking drugs at it? Always worth a thought.
yeah and if possible keep as many people in a non caropeted area....

getting food/drinks and vomit out of carpet is a nightmare.
Reply 10
i NEVER have house parties.. do you have any cooler older brothers to help out?
my friend always gets his bro to maintain order at his parties. works well.
im almost certain my friend is bringing her boyfriend who is quite a few years older than us. haha most of my house is carpeted, oh well. i'm having it on new years specifically so the neighbours cant complain when most houses will be having parties on the same night :biggrin:
faketales
im almost certain my friend is bringing her boyfriend who is quite a few years older than us. haha most of my house is carpeted, oh well. i'm having it on new years specifically so the neighbours cant complain when most houses will be having parties on the same night :biggrin:
If its a nice night have a barbeque - nice excuse to kick every one outside :biggrin:
Reply 13
Masta Killa
put some old school hip hop on...

risqué. if you do that, you might as well do the whole thing properly. i'm talking getting the hennessy and sittin out on the porch, chilling with the homies. u gotta get all ur boys to bring their pieces. also, designate the driver well beforehand so that if you feel like doing a drive-by later on in the evening (usually goes well inbetween dessert and retiring to the smoking room for some brandy), you can just jump in yo' ride and cruise like a g.
Reply 14
Brown Eyed Girl
If its a nice night have a barbeque - nice excuse to kick every one outside :biggrin:

drunken teenagers + fire.

great idea....
Reply 15
is drunken 20odd old people much better? we always have bbqs in the summer when holding parties, not had one serious injury yet :smile:

Common sense gets you a long way. Just because someones completely gone doesn't necessarily mean they're gonna shove their hand into a fire...
Reply 16
Ynox
is drunken 20odd old people much better? we always have bbqs in the summer when holding parties, not had one serious injury yet :smile:

Common sense gets you a long way. Just because someones completely gone doesn't necessarily mean they're gonna shove their hand into a fire...

i think there is a MASSIVE difference between 15 year olds, in a free house, on new years eve compared to 20 year olds in the summer.

i had a bbq over the summer, and my friend has one of those tramp drums that you set on fre. we put loads of long sticks in them, then took them out and had flaming stick fights.

at 15, me and my friends would have done much worse..
Reply 17
silence
avoid hip hop music which was released post 2000; it's the root of all evil and social chaos. put together a nice compilation of classic 90s tunes and the party'll be swinging like a grandfather cock.

Swinging like a what now?
Reply 18
silence
risqué. if you do that, you might as well do the whole thing properly. i'm talking getting the hennessy and sittin out on the porch, chilling with the homies. u gotta get all ur boys to bring their pieces. also, designate the driver well beforehand so that if you feel like doing a drive-by later on in the evening (usually goes well inbetween dessert and retiring to the smoking room for some brandy), you can just jump in yo' ride and cruise like a g.

Brilliant:biggrin:

Was gonna say, a wander/robbery/spot of GBH is the perfect mid-evening entertainment, so make sure people arrive wi gats. Nothing worse than poppin' yo nine, only to find that you left it back at the house..

Put bread everywhere, people like to eat bread, baguettes are best!
Fake vomit is a must for any social gathering.

Latest

Trending

Trending