party tips Watch

Kittennffc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Just make sure that when people start to get there, you tell them some ground rules, like throw up in the bathroom or outside.

I had a house party the other week for my housemates birthday and it all went without a hitch, everyone managed to make it to the toilet to throw up (me included), and the house wasn't trashed, it was just mess, so be prepared for a big job the next day (we had about 3 bin bags full of cans).

Can't remember who said it but telling the neighbours you're having a party is just common courtesy, even if it is new years eve. They might not do anything for it, so its worth it to just pop round and warn them to save hasstle later on.

Make sure you aren't fussing all night either, just have a good time and everything will go without a hitch!
hallucination
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't forget a party playlist! Fairy lights always go down well. If your bedroom has a lock, lock it!
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Tell your neighbours about the party, and tell them a time you're going to be winding it down. Then, stick to it! Make sure it moves inside, turn the music down a bit, start dropping hints that people can make their way home now...

Make sure you know the number of a cab firm, in case someone asks you.
Masta Killa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
^can tell your no fun be at a same party with...hmmm
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm not sayin home and in bed by half eleven.

It's different depending on where the party is. I mean, the parties on campus go on fairly late. But at home, in a residential area, you have to compromise with your neighbours. You can still have fun indoors with slightly quieter music...

But if your kind of parties are louder than aircraft taking off until half six the next morning, with no consideration whatsoever for anyone else, then I don't think I'd want to spend much time at one of your parties either.
Angel Interceptor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by faketales)
i'm having one at my house on new years eve, anyone got any tips apart from the obvious things i.e hiding fragile things, leaving buckets around for sick etc :p:

i already put on the invites to arrive before 11 cos i'm not answering the door after that, no sex in my house and if they want to bring friends they have to check with me first cos anybody not on the guest list ain't coming in. i'm not gonna have that many people, probably a max of 40-50. or is that too much? yeah anyway, tips please!
Hip hop is for t***s.

I'd reccomend hiding all of your fragile stuff and apart from that not planning stuff too much - the best parties are just left to flow as long as the majority of the people you invite are people you know, unless it could get a bit rowdy. Maybe you could play some smooth jazz for the evening so it's quite laid back, as opposed to some chart rubbish - I'd much rather celebrate a Happy New Year listening to Frank Sinatra than listening to Westlife! Anyhows, I hope that this helps.
Masta Killa
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
^are you feeling alright?!?!?!
Angel Interceptor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Masta Killa)
^are you feeling alright?!?!?!
Why do you ask?
notts
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by pratikv)
Why do you ask?
because anyone not into hip-hop must have something wrong with them

need you ask :rolleyes:
Angel Interceptor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by notts)
because anyone not into hip-hop must have something wrong with them

need you ask :rolleyes:
I knew that was going to be the answer but just wanted to see if Masta_Killa wasn't going to give me a more intersting answer, and try and justify how hip hop is the liefblood of the world, or something like that.
notts
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
to be fair, some hip-hop is well good. but my music taste is to eclectic.
Angel Interceptor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by notts)
to be fair, some hip-hop is well good. but my music taste is to eclectic.
perhaps, however i don't think there's anything wrong with a good bit of jazz for new year's - it's much better for background music and not nearly as aggressive.
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Just to back up some of the excellent points that have been made already, you have to remember that it is a party so you'll need to send a rulebook to all those invited beforehand, make sure you start revising for your party at least a week before (and that you memorise at least 5 contingency plans lest anything goes wrong, as well as numerous emergency contact numbers and cab numbers) and ensure that if people break the rules they shall be punished accordingly (perhaps a whipping shall suffice?). Enjoyment is not, I repeat not the priority - think of it more as a communist dictatorship.
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Bloody hell, the OP clearly wants some order, or she wouldn't be posting here asking for advice. If she wanted to have half the neighbourhood round, trashing the place til 8am, she wouldn't be asking.

--------------

I've been to parties where most of the suggestions have been in place, and they've been fun. If my friend doesn't want people vomiting on her mum's rug and dmashing various family heirlooms, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people to watch themselves.
Choad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i'm having one at my house on new years eve, anyone got any tips apart from the obvious things i.e hiding fragile things, leaving buckets around for sick etc

i already put on the invites to arrive before 11 cos i'm not answering the door after that, no sex in my house and if they want to bring friends they have to check with me first cos anybody not on the guest list ain't coming in. i'm not gonna have that many people, probably a max of 40-50. or is that too much? yeah anyway, tips please!
HAHAHA pure quality! it sounds unpleasant and possibly unneccessary, buckets, stop ppl for sexing etc. but that is the dirty unpleasant truth of drunk 15 yr olds.

i remember i had a nye party when i was 15. wish i had thought of buckets.

anyhow, it seems like you are fairly clued up. oh you need a group of people you trust who agree to help you if the sh*t hits the fan.

for example, unwanted gatecrashers, any idiots that bring class A nasties etc, or even worse od (could happen all too easily). just brief your closest friends that if you say help, they stop what they are doing and help. having an older bro or sis there is always good too.

/end ramblings

having said that, 95% says it all goes fine and everyone has a great time

oh yeah and queens of the stone age usually sends people mental when they've had some drink. so stick some o them notes on later .
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dogtanian)
Bloody hell, the OP clearly wants some order, or she wouldn't be posting here asking for advice. If she wanted to have half the neighbourhood round, trashing the place til 8am, she wouldn't be asking.

--------------

I've been to parties where most of the suggestions have been in place, and they've been fun. If my friend doesn't want people vomiting on her mum's rug and dmashing various family heirlooms, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people to watch themselves.
Oh... terribly sorry to have offended
galadriel100
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Make sure there are enough chairs, and make sure there is enough toilet paper in the bathroom.
Xanthe
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by faketales)
no sex in my house
:eek:

Not sure whether anyone said this, but hide the telephone as well.
Phonicsdude
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
he only rule to hosting a party is to drink one can of beer an hour, starting two hours before your first guests are due to arrive.
That way you are tipsy enough not to get too stressed out and sober enough to stop misdemeanors.
And, of course, do not get stoned.
oh_wow_lovely
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
excellent, i shall let you know how it goes have a great nye everyone!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (541)
80.27%
Leave (133)
19.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise