AS/A2 Chemistry Watch

Feynstein
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi guys. Just have a few queries as to whether I should take Chemistry for A level. Is it a well respected subject? For the Edexcel 8080/9090 syllabus, for units 3 and 6, what does the Internal Assessment (where the teachers assess you in practicals), the written paper (for 3B) and the synoptic unit (6B) involve? Is there any coursework (similar to the GCSE) and what's it like?

Thanks a lot

PS. If this question has already been answered on a previous thread in the sub-forum, a link or re-direction to that page would be much appreciated.
Nandoz
Report 13 years ago
well for the internal cw ther are 4 skill areas you get tested on sort of like CW bt not really (its wierd)

A. Planning
B. Oversevation
C. manipulation
D evaluation
Piggy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm doing OCR, but I think it's amazing! It's really respected by unis (you must have it to do medicine, biological sciences etc) and it's so interesting - everything makes a lot more sense although it is quite hard and needs a lot of concentration in classes!
ba_ba1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by senny99)
Hi guys. Just have a few queries as to whether I should take Chemistry for A level. Is it a well respected subject? For the Edexcel 8080/9090 syllabus, for units 3 and 6, what does the Internal Assessment (where the teachers assess you in practicals), the written paper (for 3B) and the synoptic unit (6B) involve? Is there any coursework (similar to the GCSE) and what's it like?

Thanks a lot

PS. If this question has already been answered on a previous thread in the sub-forum, a link or re-direction to that page would be much appreciated.
Yes it is very well respected.

Unit 3a (if you do not do CW) is a practical exam where you will do experiments and be assessed on the accuracy of observations and inferenes you make. You will most likely get a titration, enthalpy change experiment and flame tests. There will also be some calulations. Unit 6a is similar but has less calculaions involved and different experiments. Both papers will require you to plan an experiment (but not actually do it), and this counts for quite a few marks.

Unit 3b is mainly on practical chemistry, techniques and apparatus involved and calculations. Unit 6b tests you on everything you have learnt through the course and will requie you to apply your knowledge much more.

It is up to your teacher whether you do CW or a practical exam - our school chose not to do CW.
Feynstein
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by ba_ba1)
Yes it is very well respected.
Is it as well respected as Physics? Because from what I've heard (people that take both), A2 Chemistry is a doss compared to A2 Physics and so, it isn't as highly regarded. Your thoughts?
hhhhhhhhhhppppp
Report 12 years ago
i find physics easier than chemistry - physics has a reputation for being hard but it's not that bad. I think chemistry is much harder - but that's just me
bandai
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lozzyjay)
i find physics easier than chemistry - physics has a reputation for being hard but it's not that bad. I think chemistry is much harder - but that's just me
yeah i have to agree physics is easier, except with ocr..you always get the annoying design a practical question at the end
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.51%
No (614)
72.49%

Watched Threads