This discussion is closed.
geditor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi there,
So far in my exams, I have done okay apart from in English Language and English Literature. In those two subjects, I have done awful and was wondering whether I could retake it in January although I would be doing A-levels.

I usually get As and Bs in English Lang and Lit but in these exams, I felt so pressured by the thought of doing badly that I just messed up and think I may not have reached even a B grade.

Do exam boards allow retakes passed Yr 11? Thanks.
NapoleonDynamite
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes. I retook maths
Infinite_Spectrum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by geditor)
Hi there,
So far in my exams, I have done okay apart from in English Language and English Literature. In those two subjects, I have done awful and was wondering whether I could retake it in January although I would be doing A-levels.

I usually get As and Bs in English Lang and Lit but in these exams, I felt so pressured by the thought of doing badly that I just messed up and think I may not have reached even a B grade.

Yes they do. Maybe your sixth form will provide classes for resits but I think they would only provide for English Language and Maths as they are priority. You may have to pay as a private candidate and self study or alternatively get a private tutor.

How bad did you do? If it's not too bad then perhaps it should be advised for you not to resit as it may not look too good on your university applications-though this is partial to the top universities I think.
senz72
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you're doing AQA English, you can't retake it because its a linear course, sorry
MedicalMayhem
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi there,

Normally yes. But I think that for both English Lit/Lang they are changing syllabus so this is the last year, so I think no :/ Well unless you are prepared to go through the whole "Controlled Assessment" stuff and relearn the new syllabus :/ Shame we're the year to be the last/first of everything! :mad:
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MedicalMayhem)
Normally yes. But I think that for both English Lit/Lang they are changing syllabus so this is the last year, so I think no :/ Well unless you are prepared to go through the whole "Controlled Assessment" stuff and relearn the new syllabus :/ Shame we're the year to be the last/first of everything! :mad:
Surely we've got November 2011 for the language?
Or was that the last ever paper?
Jordenfruitbat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi there,

You don't really need to unless you wanna do medicine or something I guess As long as you get C's + your all good, most uni's aren't to bothered. You should focus on your A-levels they are far far more important.
Ras17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi there,

Yes, you may retake GCSE examinations in the sixth form. I would advise against it because A-Levels are a big step up and it will require a good amount of dedication pass, let alone juggle GCSEs with it.

Also, most of the time only English Language and Mathematics are advised to be re-sat. I don''t think my sixth form even allowed the other ones other than special condition.
AishaTara
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yes but APPARENTLY starting from this sept you have to re-do the coursework ( which is now controlled assessment) and the specification for the new exams have changed :/ or so
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi there,

I know a couple of people on my course at college who went back to their secondary school to retake a gcse (i think it was maths). I think i vaguely remember when i was at 6th form, people had the opportunity to retake gcses too (mainly english and maths). So you should be able to retake it if you need to.
CityTrader
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Would it be possible to re do my maths GCSE? I have just done my As exams and wondering if it is too late? I am currently on a B and need an A.
Ras17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CityTrader)
Would it be possible to re do my maths GCSE? I have just done my As exams and wondering if it is too late? I am currently on a B and need an A.
This depends on your sixth form but as far as I know, in YR 13 you should be able to re-sit GCSE, probably with the YR 12s
vortex28
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I got a D in english language but a B in english literature ..... i was doing the AQA papers ... I really need to retake ONLY the D so is that possible??
DJTom
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeah you can retake them anytime. what do you mean by - usually get As and Bs in English Lang and Lit
Data
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vortex28)
I got a D in english language but a B in english literature ..... i was doing the AQA papers ... I really need to retake ONLY the D so is that possible??
Yes, if they are separate GCSEs, you don't have to re-sit both. However, you almost certainly did the outgoing specifications so your only chance to re-sit will be this Autumn/Winter, depending on the exam board the entry deadline could be as early as 4 October so get it sorted asap.
The Prodigee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
a friend of mine didnt do so well in his gcses. what can he do now? he doesnt want to start college with btecs hed rather resit.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (221)
43.68%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.71%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (107)
21.15%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.87%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.34%

Watched Threads