MML at Cambridge? Watch

Slates
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
GGM is a good author. Don't worry too much about "stereotypical" authors, a Fellow I know at Fitzwilliam is "happy if they've read anything at all by a foreign author". Very few prospective students read "Cien anos de soledad" before interview in Spanish, so that would be impressive. However Cronica or El Coronel would be good starting points, Cronica is excellent, like Capote's In Cold Blood, and though nothing happens in El coronel, it's worth a read.

In my interview I told the bloke I'd read Pedro Paramo by Rulfo, and he was quite impressed by that I think. If you like magical realism he is a must.

On the poetry side of things, Romancero Gitano is ok but if you like surrealism then Poet in New York is a must, i think it's marvellous.
Jucus
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My personal favourite is Julio Cortázar and I read el Bestiario and Historias de cronopios y de famas in Spanish, both of them are collections of short stories.
I had my interview a week ago and it was really JUST about literature so begin reading and thinking, personal opinion and impressions count very much I think...
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lorca's poetry is somewhat limited though i do like poeta en nueva york.
Enfalas
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by drsmeeth)
oh yeh cronica's a great book. oh and if you're into esquivel, read tan veloz como el deseo, which is a great book.
If I'm into Esquivel? I haven't read any yet... I'll start with "Crónica", then move on to the other stuff you've all suggested...
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
if you get into esquivel then.
Bloody linguists, always so picky with words.
Enfalas
Rep:
?
if you get into esquivel then.
Bloody linguists, always so picky with words.
We have to be... And I thought you were a linguist yourself... I'm sure I read you wanted to do Spanish and Portuguese... :rolleyes:
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeh....it's called a sense of humour. some linguists have those too....

na i'm just ****ing with you. i'm a linguist too.
Enfalas
Rep:
?
Yeh....it's called a sense of humour. some linguists have those too....

na i'm just ****ing with you. i'm a linguist too.
Hey! I have a bit of a sense of humour! You linguistist!

Bring on the Little Britain impressions!

"Computer says no"

"Yeah but no but yeah but you see Shanell slept with Darrell who was soo going out with me but it's like she is such a *****" - I'm not very good at Pollard... hehe!
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's quite worrying you think reciting little britain quotes provides evidence for your 'bit of a sense of humour'

Oh dear.
Enfalas
Rep:
?
It's quite worrying you think reciting little britain quotes provides evidence for your 'bit of a sense of humour'

Oh dear.
I take it you don't watch that.. Aww.. :rolleyes:

--------------

Never mind.. Thanks for the advice guys!
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No, I watch it. I'm just ****ing with you again.
Enfalas
Rep:
?
No, I watch it. I'm just ****ing with you again.
God, are all Cambridge people going to be like this? Argh... Why not just say what you mean? :rolleyes:
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm not in cambridge yet....and i hope they're not all like me. That would be rather worrying.
Why not say what i mean....hm. No idea. But hey, i've given you your first lesson in sarcasm right?
And I never said I didn't watch it. See, I'm helping you to examine language better.
Enfalas
Rep:
?
I'm not in cambridge yet....and i hope they're not all like me. That would be rather worrying.
Why not say what i mean....hm. No idea. But hey, i've given you your first lesson in sarcasm right?
And I never said I didn't watch it. See, I'm helping you to examine language better.
I guess so... I thought that the recitals of Little Britain were a lot less confusing... Helping me to examine language better? Now that's quite funny... I hope there are a few like you there if I get in... This convo has been quite funny..
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
aw you're sweet. yeh my sense of humour is sarcastic, sadistic and generally quite annoying. but hey, without me life would be much jollier, and who wants that?

don't answer that question.
Enfalas
Rep:
?
aw you're sweet. yeh my sense of humour is sarcastic, sadistic and generally quite annoying. but hey, without me life would be much jollier, and who wants that?

don't answer that question.
I don't know about me being sweet... :cool: the humours kind of funny but it took a bit for me to get you... too confusing...

Don't worry... Life's anything but jolly most of the time... There are too many &^$""&(£!^(s in the world for that...
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeh my sense of humour isn't clear in words.

Ooh look at you using all those symbols to express your rage! You're very impressive.
Enfalas
Rep:
?
yeh my sense of humour isn't clear in words.

Ooh look at you using all those symbols to express your rage! You're very impressive.
The symbols stand for "ignorant d***heads"! hehe! :rolleyes:
Gravastar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
[QUOTE=drsmeeth]without me life would be much jollier, and who wants that?
QUOTE]

You stole my bit!
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Go back to your misery, Paul. there is no lack of joy for you here.

Ignorant d*ckheads? My my my, you are angry.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (200)
18.8%
No (646)
60.71%
Not really bothered about them (218)
20.49%

Watched Threads