The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by d_aan
Hello everybody. how is everybody preparing?

Personal statement drafting? Open day bookings? LNAT preperation?

I've just realised that I actually have plenty to be worrying about and was just wondering how everybody else is getting on with all this!

Also looking to apply at:

UCL
Queen Mary
Southampton
Warwick
Kent

Are these realistic choices? I'm doing History, Geography, English Literature and Maths, though i'll probably drop the latter. I guess my GCSE's are good but not worthy enough for Oxbridge, LSE or Kings (3A*'s,9A's,2B's), though, are these okay for the uni's i'm looking at?

UCL is a bit ... ambitious I would say.
Reply 221
Original post by Harry.K
Hey, I'm planning on applying to:

KCL
UCL
Queen Mary
Sussex
Surrey

However I'm a bit put off from applying to KCL and a bit for UCL because of my GCSE results. I got A*AAAAAAABBCC... do those two unis pay much attention to GCSE results and are my GCSE results too bad to apply for the two unis (especially KCL)?
London Unis are quite stringent on your GCSE grades in general. For instance the LSE said in their undergraduate prospectus that law applicants are expected to have a string of good grades in GCSE ... 8/12 of your sittings are at A*/A which is alright however do bear in mind that there are a good deal of people out there who got at least straight A*/A and some of them might even got straight A* ...
How is everyone going to prepare for the LNAT? I'm really worried that I'm not going to do very well in it at all!

I'm predicted AAAB at AS, so fingers crossed for the 18th...

I'm thinking to apply at;
-Manchester
-Manchester Met
-Lancaster
-Leeds
-Leeds Met

hmm, really nervous about all this!
Original post by lottielouise
How is everyone going to prepare for the LNAT? I'm really worried that I'm not going to do very well in it at all!

-Manchester
-Manchester Met
-Lancaster
-Leeds
-Leeds Met

From what I have read/heard - try reading a newspaper every day (or at least online) and paying attention to the comment section - this will help in taking an argumentative stance on a subject. Instead of just reading a topic, think of how it could be formed into an argument and how a topic could be debated. Likewise, perhaps practice essay writing itself and forming a judgement

Apart from this and the past paper(s) on the website, I don't think there is very much we can do to prepare.
Original post by Perseverance
From what I have read/heard - try reading a newspaper every day (or at least online) and paying attention to the comment section - this will help in taking an argumentative stance on a subject. Instead of just reading a topic, think of how it could be formed into an argument and how a topic could be debated. Likewise, perhaps practice essay writing itself and forming a judgement

Apart from this and the past paper(s) on the website, I don't think there is very much we can do to prepare.

I think thats very good advice, thanks :smile:
Reply 225
QMUL Vs. SOAS for LLM ?
Reply 226
My school is being retarded and getting me utterly confused, I want to do law but it won't be at a particularly top university so is LNAT compulsory to sit?

Oh and another quick one... If I was to get the same AS Grade in Government and Politics as well as English Language, does either carry more weight with Universities?
Original post by Wattsy
My school is being retarded and getting me utterly confused, I want to do law but it won't be at a particularly top university so is LNAT compulsory to sit?

Oh and another quick one... If I was to get the same AS Grade in Government and Politics as well as English Language, does either carry more weight with Universities?

I don't quite know the answer to your second problem, but for the LNAT it's entirely dependent on universities. Normally if you look on the website of University that you're interested in, there will be some mention of whether they require the LNAT on the entry requirements section.
Original post by lottielouise

-Manchester
-Manchester Met
-Lancaster
-Leeds
-Leeds Met

Skip Manchester Met and Leeds Met. With AAAB, you have no business applying to those unis. Pick a solid fallback uni (something like ABB) and then consider something like Nottingham, etc. for the other slot.
Reply 229
Hello

I bought my son amazing practice papers for his LNAT, consisting of 10 separate papers of 42 multiple choice questions complete with answers and 50 essay titles to practice! They retail for £80.00 from prep genie and if anyone is interested I am happy to sell them on for £35.00.

Let me know and good luck!
Original post by Sue1961
Hello

I bought my son amazing practice papers for his LNAT, consisting of 10 separate papers of 42 multiple choice questions complete with answers and 50 essay titles to practice! They retail for £80.00 from prep genie and if anyone is interested I am happy to sell them on for £35.00.

Let me know and good luck!

I just paid 50 for the test I'd rather just buy 35 newspapers and work on the practice tests the site provides for me
Reply 231
Yes, the test is expensive and obviously you must read a quality newspaper - daily. It is just a shame that Pearson Vue only offer one practice test.

Just make sure you are completely prepared for LNAT and good luck to you!
Think this thread need a bump :yep:

So, how did everyone do? still applying for Law? have your choices changed? I got AAAB: abit 'meh' but still a year to go:colonhash:
Reply 233
Original post by Junaid16
Think this thread need a bump :yep:

So, how did everyone do? still applying for Law? have your choices changed? I got AAAB: abit 'meh' but still a year to go:colonhash:

I'm definitely applying for law and decided definitely going to apply to Cambridge. I also like Newcastle and Birmingham then not sure about the last two yet. I got AAAA which I was very happy with :yep:

Where are you applying to? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by racaha
I'm definitely applying for law and decided definitely going to apply to Cambridge. I also like Newcastle and Birmingham then not sure about the last two yet. I got AAAA which I was very happy with :yep:

Where are you applying to? :smile:

Your grades are brill.:bigsmile: Snap on Birmingham, I'm looking at Warwick, Nottingham, +1.. Was going to apply to Cambridge, but my UMS had different ideas.:colonhash: I may still apply, since an-offer holder, had almost identical UMS score to me, which gave hope.

What were your subjects? Apologies, if you've referred to them already in the thread.:colondollar:
Reply 235
Your grades are brill.:bigsmile: Snap on Birmingham, I'm looking at Warwick, Nottingham, +1.. Was going to apply to Cambridge, but my UMS had different ideas.:colonhash: I may still apply, since an-offer holder, had almost identical UMS score to me, which gave hope.

What were your subjects? Apologies, if you've referred to them already in the thread.:colondollar:

Thank you :hugs:

Oh Nottingham was another I was considering but I haven't looked enough to decide yet. Aw what were your UMS? I've got a B in one of my units and I'm still going to try. You might as well give it a go if you get the predicted grades for A level! Especially as you know people have got in with those before :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by racaha
Thank you :hugs:

Oh Nottingham was another I was considering but I haven't looked enough to decide yet. Aw what were your UMS? I've got a B in one of my units and I'm still going to try. You might as well give it a go if you get the predicted grades for A level! Especially as you know people have got in with those before :yep:

English Literature, History, Psychology and Theatre Studies :smile:

What are you studying?

No problem:tongue: Are you going to be going for any LNAT unis.:eek:

They were well below the 90% average.:mad:

English Literature 88%
Government and Politics 84%
Economics 83%
Philosophy 74% DROPPED.:angry:

I think, I will apply, but at least, I won't 'expect' to get in, which means no tears will be shred when and if the rejection letter comes through. How were your UMS?
Reply 237
No problem:tongue: Are you going to be going for any LNAT unis.:eek:

They were well below the 90% average.:mad:

English Literature 88%
Government and Politics 84%
Economics 83%
Philosophy 74% DROPPED.:angry:

I think, I will apply, but at least, I won't 'expect' to get in, which means no tears will be shred when and if the rejection letter comes through. How were your UMS?

Very possibly. If I decide Birmingham is a definite then definitely. I'm not sure how I feel about it, because if it's a good result then it's a way to boost your application but it could also go the other way :eek:

Well like you said, it's not the end of your chance to apply. You've still done well to get A's and more than grades will be considered so if you really like the university then it's worth a shot :yep:

My UMS were:
English Literature: 91.5%
History: 91%
Psychology: 93%
Theatre Studies: 91%

:yep: Nobody can apply expecting to be guaranteed to get in, so you never know :smile:
Reply 238
UMS marks are not percentages.
Original post by racaha
Very possibly. If I decide Birmingham is a definite then definitely. I'm not sure how I feel about it, because if it's a good result then it's a way to boost your application but it could also go the other way :eek:

Well like you said, it's not the end of your chance to apply. You've still done well to get A's and more than grades will be considered so if you really like the university then it's worth a shot :yep:

My UMS were:
English Literature: 91.5%
History: 91%
Psychology: 93%
Theatre Studies: 91%

:yep: Nobody can apply expecting to be guaranteed to get in, so you never know :smile:

Well good luck! Considering your grades, I doubt you'll be able to avoid the LNAT, since you're well in with a shot at the very top unis.:u: I suppose, I'd be perfectly with only one offer though. This thread seems strangely dead, considering that 'Law' is allegedly one of the most competitive courses, and in comparison to other course threads, which have hundreds of pages, I suppose it's good for us.:biggrin:

Your AS UMS kick mine well into touch.:colone: Are you continuing with 4A2's?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending