This discussion is closed.
snake_n_shades
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
proper light detectors would be a good idea, remember that even an opaque soution lets light through in practice. Just make sure that you collect light transmission data from all points of your test tube, comes back to the point about uneven distribution of precipitate

i'm using 2.5mls of each personally, but some people sound like they're usin beakers which may be a better method than test tubes
aysha
Report 16 years ago
what could i put 4 pridiction?
plz help!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
say how that you expect it to denature much easier at higher concs and that findin the lowest one will be very precise etc
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
so what is plotted on the graph? i was thinking about concentration against time, but why am i timeing can anyone help
Hayley
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hi, does n e one know some theory about the copper metal ions, and about what metals do to the denaturing? really need teh help i gota hand mine in tomo!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
so what is plotted on the graph? i was thinking about concentration against time, but why am i timeing can anyone help
Hayley
your timing, to see when the albumen clears up which shows the denaturing
_lil_a_
snake_n_shades
Report 16 years ago
all the reactions are virtually instantaneous, don't bother timing and concentrate on mixing the albumen and the CuSO4 well
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
aaaagggghhhhh
so do we have to do a graph or what? and how d'ya plot a table coz i dont think there is anythin you can plot?! nightmare
i'll love someone forever if they help me on this
Hayley
Report 16 years ago
my friends mum is a bio teacher and she says that you get your extra marks if you draw a hypothetical graph, but im still unsure what to plot against concentration
snake_n_shades
Report 16 years ago
you can't plot a graph coz u aint got any results........all you have to say is what sort of graph you should plot when you do the study

literally somet like "once you have collected the results, plot them on a graph with % denaturation on the y axis and concentration of CuSO4 on the x axis" if you have some preliminary results then just sketch a graph like that and say that the final graph should look like that
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hey, im doing the egg thingy 2 and woz wonderin bout the variables...which is dependant and which is independant?? out o the egg and copper?? plz help!!xx
Hayley
Report 16 years ago
so if i was to draw a hypothetical graph, i would plot concentration agains % denatured! but how do i wrk out the % denatured, my bio teacher advised me to avoid light detector thingys
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I am having trouble with the intro mine doesn''t seem to be long enough what r u guys mentioning in urs. So far i have, proteins and denaturation mentioned. PLEASE HELP!!
snake_n_shades
Report 16 years ago
if you're using a visual method then just guess at the % denatured.........obviously water will be no denaturation and 0.1mol.dm-3 will give full denturation, so at some point a sample will look like its about half as opaque as the fully denatured stuff, so that would be about 50% denatured

jesus, urs is too short?!?! mine's 1800 words and counting i've got to cut 800 words tonight. if you need to fill space then just add more detail to the method for your preliminary work or add more detail to anything really
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
jesus u people r making it so complicated
i am doing this just as a planning experiment, so u dont actually have to do the experiment, just a preliminary one to establish a range that is denatured
all this about colourimeters, opaqueness, is unnescessary just hold a testtube of the albumen against a control one of deionised water, and do it from there
and you dont need 2 draw a graph, as it is just planning
and it has nothing to do with timing, or anything like that you are just seeing what concentration of CuSO4 wont denature the albumen
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
everythings been really helpful, think just gonna use human judgement of how denaturation by comparing with water +albumen. but still dont know precise reason as to why it denatures, is it because CU 2+ ion is highly charged and bonds with RCOO- group of protein therefore disrupting bonds in protein and denaturing it.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
The planning is really simple. Just give you aim and target at the start along with a prediction. Give background info about copper (II) sulpahate including safety measures.
For the metod just use serial diloutions, 0.01, 0.001, 0.0001, 0.00001. Mix these concentrations with the same amount of egg stuff for each. Leave each tube for 5 minutes and then get reults off a colourimeter. Plot a graph of concentration anlong the x axis and % colour intensity up the y axis. Also record the colour intensity of pure egg albumen to give an end point. When the line on your graph reaches the reading given from the straight egg stuff it is not dentatured.!! Vola
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I'm having the same problem!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
ok, so what do we actually measure in order to determine the lowest amount of CuSO4 that will denature the albumen?

Obviously we have to find out if the albumen is fully denatured. How do we do this?

Someone in my school has mentioned centrifuging...but I'm scared
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
it's been suggested that the lowest concentration of CuSO4 that will denature egg albumen is about 0,02 moldm-3

so using serial dilution wont work surely?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed