The Student Room Group

Worst place in the UK to live?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by dews1290

It's so **** the national park goes around it.

Haaa,Blaenau Ffestiniog definitely gets my top vote. I went there on a geography field trip and it was HORRIBLE. Made worse by the constant rain and random men shouting at us. But yes, disgusting place :frown:
I was lucky enough to visit Fratton, Portsmouth a few weeks ago, can't say I would be too upset if I never had to go there again. Also East London can be very bad in places, my own town (Barking) is a dump and Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Dagenham and Newham all have areas that are even worse.

But the worst by far would have to be Thamesmead. Grim doesn't even begin to describe it and unlike the places North of the Thames that I mentioned, it doesn't even have the advantage of good transport links to the centre of London.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Warrior King
Of places that I have visited or experienced etc:

Burnley, Padiham, Barnsely, Plymouth, Nelson, Pendle, Stoke-on-Trent, Hull, Plymouth, Axminster, Truro, Totnes, Plymouth, Plymouth, Plymouth oh and did I mention Plymouth? And Torquay, Cleethorpes, Grimsby, Aberysthwyth, Bangor, Dundee, Blackpool (I say reluctantly), Plymouth, Plymouth,

Oh screw it: Plymouth is the worst place I've ever visited/lived in. Everyone is so msierable there they want to start a fight with you for no reason.

For everyone who says Dundee, it's not that bad. There's a few areas that are bad, like in any town, but most of Dundee is fine.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I disagree. I've lived in Barnsley now for nearly 11 months and I love it. It's very green, lots of fields, nice scenery. My daughter is in a brilliant school, a beacon school, better Ofsted reports than the one she would have gone to if we had stayed in Leeds.
The people are generally friendly.

Only gripe I would say is that there are tons more travellers/gypsies around, which is annoying, as some of them tried to nick my son's bike (for their "Scrap metal business" :rolleyes:) but other than that I am really liking living here.

This coming from somebody who lived in Leeds for 23 years previously.

Pikey town, and the fact I get called a 'scab' as soon as I leave the east midlands :wink:
Original post by an_end_has_a_start
I come from a town in between Hull and Doncaster... but also quite close to York

called "Goole" (Google it)

so from the majority of these posts, I guess I'm in no-mans land haha

I like the way the Wikipedia article on Google used a picture of the main shopping street that made it look like a ghost town :tongue:
Barnsley/Stoke
Reply 186
Original post by Cyanohydrin
Yorkshire is good - it has a few places to avoid - North Yorkshire is generally very wealthy and the scenery :sogood: East Yorks outside of Hull - think Beverley and entering the Vale of York is pretty rich as well. South Yorks is probably the worst - West Yorks is generally good - apart from Bradford.

Why do you think it's the worst/an area to avoid? I know I'm bound to be biased anyway as I've lived in Sheffield all my life but I have been to worse places. I honestly find it a pleasant place to live - most people are friendly :tongue:
Reply 187
Original post by Pi!
Swindon. There's nothing there.

Football ground, Bowling, Getting lost around the magic roundabout, Shopping, clubbing, getting lost around the magic roundabout.. there's quite a lot to do in Swindon. Mostly depends on your age.. Did I mention getting lost around the magic roundabout?
Canning Town.
Original post by ForGreatJustice
Anywhere north of Cambridge. *hides*

Anywhere north of London, except Scotland.

Actually, some northern cities are alright.

It's just the midlands that are really grim.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by andrewmc96
For everyone who says Dundee, it's not that bad. There's a few areas that are bad, like in any town, but most of Dundee is fine.

Rather Dundee than the Midlands.

Dundee is less of a dump than a lot of England tbh.
Oxford
(edited 12 years ago)
The Scheme.
Original post by fire2burn
Stoke-on-Trent, it's an absolute **** hole. I die a little inside every time I visit people there.

There are parts of stoke on trent that are actually nice, you most probably end up in the bad half all the time.
==========================
Anyway
Sure in my opinion to the thread it has to be around the snotty ends of the country like cambridge and oxford. There are a lot of people (not all) around there that stick there noses up and area dam right rude. Just because they were born into money and a strong income generated family they think they are better than everyone else which is not the case.
Reply 194
Original post by Tony_Soprano1
Worst place in the UK to live?! Im going to have to say Derby or Nottingham what do you guys think?

Never lived in Derby so I can't comment, but Nottingham is one of the nicest places in the UK to live.
Original post by synopticity.
Places of notable mention...

Birmingham

The surrounding areas of all these places can be fine, I'm just talking about the immediate.

What's wrong with birmingham? All large cities have bad area's but central birmingham is really nice!
Wolverhampton. I prefer to think of it as a blemish on the map. This goes for parts of Stoke-on-Trent too though where my boyfriend lives it's alright :smile:
Original post by Smilingsam
in my opinion to the thread it has to be around the snotty ends of the country like cambridge and oxford.

there are snotty ends of the country, but neither of these is a very well chosen example, and Oxford certainly not (though the wider Oxfordshire might be).

Excepting for the universities, bracketing these two together makes very little sense, or none that is obvious to me. Cambridge is pretty well only the university and the high-tech light engineering that has grown up around it, but Oxford was for most of the last century one of Britain's biggest factory towns, the home of several large motor-manufacturers, and in many parts was very much a blue collar city. I can as well remember quite significant rioting on the Blackbird Leys estate in the 90s; I mean, such that it made the national news for several nights running. Don't go thinking Oxford's all posh, then.
anywhere outside of Yorkshire
Accrington - Its just such an ugly place and I should know I live pretty near it -
Google maps link if you don't know what its like: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Quick Reply

Latest