What musical instruments do people play?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I used to screech on the Viola and i now play Saxophone, but find it a bit boring. I want to start learning to play the Guitar but haven't found the time.
Why do you find the sax boring...?? I love playing it....then again i love playing jazzy stuff....

G
Tribi18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I play the piano - its brilliant!! Im on grade 7 and the moment. I love playing pure jazz. Misty is great 4 that - can u play that?
Tribi18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
Why do you find the sax boring...?? I love playing it....then again i love playing jazzy stuff....

G
Id love to play the sax but jus ant got time at the mo. is it hard 2 play??
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tribi18)
I play the piano - its brilliant!! Im on grade 7 and the moment. I love playing pure jazz. Misty is great 4 that - can u play that?
Do you have any of Eltons Johns early albums (1970-73)?

If not I'd seriously advice buying.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
:O you gave up the beautiful viola for the saxophone!!! *shocked*!

(not that i have anything against saxophones of course!)
I didn't give it up for the Saxophone. I was learning Viola at school and then i was ill for about 5 months and had no lessons. I took up Saxophone about a year later. The Viola didn't sound "beautiful" to me - perhaps it was the way i played it though.
JrW
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I play piano, flute, cello, electric guitar and i sing (chorally and as a soloist)
TK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i used to play the recorder (but didn't everyone?) and i did the violin and piano but i was rubbish
Agrippina
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I didn't give it up for the Saxophone. I was learning Viola at school and then i was ill for about 5 months and had no lessons. I took up Saxophone about a year later. The Viola didn't sound "beautiful" to me - perhaps it was the way i played it though.
Ah well. Sorry you were ill
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
i used to play the recorder (but didn't everyone?) and i did the violin and piano but i was rubbish
The recorder is the vane of most peoples early childhood. A usueless instrument if there ever was one.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
The recorder is the vane of most peoples early childhood. A usueless instrument if there ever was one.
lol ahh but i used to love it - i even made my own recorder bag! C'mon you have to admit you loved it!
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)

G
Whenever i play a musical instrument i can't usually be bothered to practise. I don't know what it is. Perhaps it's playing the same pieces over and over again. Another thing i hate is exams, they're meaningless and scales are such a waste of time and boring. I think i may stop lessons ansd see where i go from there.

I personally don't think the Saxophone is a hard instrument to play. You don't need really need to blow hard or anything to get a note (although some of the low notes you do) You also need quick fingers but this will improve when you start playing more advanced pieces.
Agrippina
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hmmm, i'd tend to agree, but it can be alright. A friend of mine did Grade 8 recorder and got one of the highest scores in her exam than practically anyone else has ever done! She only dropped like four marks!! *jealous*
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
lol ahh but i used to love it - i even made my own recorder bag! C'mon you have to admit you loved it!
No, I can honestly say I hated it. I wanted to play 'burn down the mission' on piano. That was all I ever wanted but they kept making me learn classical music, thats why I quit piano lessons and got a private tutor to teach me the good stuff!
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
I play the viola, flute and piano, and I sing (chorally not as a soloist). What about you?
I play electric guitar and the piano
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No, I can honestly say I hated it. I wanted to play 'burn down the mission' on piano. That was all I ever wanted but they kept making me learn classical music, thats why I quit piano lessons and got a private tutor to teach me the good stuff!

The recorder can sound amazing when it's played really well - my friend is a virtuoso and when you hear her play you wouldn't believe it's the same instrument they give to little kids!
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
The recorder can sound amazing when it's played really well - my friend is a virtuoso and when you hear her play you wouldn't believe it's the same instrument they give to little kids!
It cannot compare to a 23/4 year old Reginald Dwight on the piano at the top of his game. Very little can.
Philibob
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Piano, upto grade 8 (even though I've only got a keyboard ) Saxophone is an instrument I'd like to be able to play
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I play clarinet to grade 8
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It cannot compare to a 23/4 year old Reginald Dwight on the piano at the top of his game. Very little can.

It depends what your tastes are Elton John's fun to listen to but I love hearing really challenging music...
ThunderCat8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Piano - got to grade 5 then stopped
Saxophone - haven't done grades, but play grade 6/7 stuff
Voice - taken grade 6 recently (got distinction...go me!) and doing grade 8 in June or July.

Music rocks!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (57)
4.87%
Uncertainty around my education (178)
15.2%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (129)
11.02%
Lack of purpose or motivation (165)
14.09%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (51)
4.36%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.81%
Loneliness (101)
8.63%
Financial worries (39)
3.33%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (56)
4.78%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.78%
Lack of real life entertainment (62)
5.29%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (104)
8.88%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (105)
8.97%

Watched Threads