What musical instruments do people play?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I play the guitar, currently own a half-acoustic Fender and an electric Fernandez.
hotchick200
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
singing=grade 6
piano=no grades but play well
trumpet and french horn=town band
Pollo Loco
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
I play the viola, flute and piano, and I sing (chorally not as a soloist). What about you?
Wow another viola player, myself it's violin, viola and i sing (soloist and choral and have Grade 8).
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
"play" guitar-have a electric ibanez and an acoustic yahama.

also played keyboard for a few years, had lessons, never took any exams (evil things!) but was great good in my day. now it collects dust mainly
shadowspirit777
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i "play" guitar, but i suck, i go through phases of playing and not playing, and normally when i wanna play my wrist is messed up (i have lack of cartillage issues in my left wrist) so yeah i suck, but i still have a yamaha pacifica 102sx and a PRS santana se in vintage cherry *drools* how i love my ***** (my PRS is my ***** )

oh and of course i used to play recorder

id like to play a lot of things but id probs get bored, maybe drums but i dont have the coordination, my bro want to play bass, ill encourage that and nick it whenever i get bored lol, id say sax too (i know you all have said that but i do!) cause i had a friend who was really good and it just sounded so cool, plus i find blues fun to play on guitar, id like to try it on another instrument
chrisbphd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I taught myself to play the piano - I can listen to most songs and play them after a couple of listens. I can get a tune out of a guitar though I'm not very good, I used to play both the recorder and clarinet but haven't done for at least 5 years now.
Agrippina
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by Pollo Loco)
Wow another viola player, myself it's violin, viola and i sing (soloist and choral and have Grade 8).
Yay! We viola players are few and far between! There are only three in my whole school, and it's a very musical school! But we can always get into orchestras and stuff cos we're always needed! Hurrah for the viola!
Pollo Loco
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yay! We viola players are few and far between! There are only three in my whole school, and it's a very musical school! But we can always get into orchestras and stuff cos we're always needed! Hurrah for the viola!
I'm the only one at our school, it's fun being your own section but it means i can't afford to make a mistake. Play in the Borough Youth Orchestra too. There are 4 of us but i'm the only guy, v scary sometimes. It's good to be needed isn't it. Used to play violin more, like the viola so much more! Indeed, hurrah for the viola!! Played a Mozart horn concerto for both orchestra recently, v challenging!! Fun though!
Agrippina
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by Pollo Loco)
I'm the only one at our school, it's fun being your own section but it means i can't afford to make a mistake. Play in the Borough Youth Orchestra too. There are 4 of us but i'm the only guy, v scary sometimes. It's good to be needed isn't it. Used to play violin more, like the viola so much more! Indeed, hurrah for the viola!! Played a Mozart horn concerto for both orchestra recently, v challenging!! Fun though!
In my youth orchestra we're doing "Finlandia" by Sibelius and it's really hard!!!! Loads of nasty tremolo. But fantastic to be part of I always worry when there's a possibility I'm going to be the only viola there!
Pollo Loco
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
In my youth orchestra we're doing "Finlandia" by Sibelius and it's really hard!!!! Loads of nasty tremolo. But fantastic to be part of I always worry when there's a possibility I'm going to be the only viola there!
We're doing some Sibelius too, Karelia Suite for us. That's fun but it gets a bit nasty in places, that's at Youth Orchesta, our school orchestra couldn't handel (ooh bad pun!!) it. We're doing parts of Les Mis too (a bit ironic that since it's also our school show this year, I'm playing Valjean!! :cool: )
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
It depends what your tastes are Elton John's fun to listen to but I love hearing really challenging music...
You clearly dont know any early Elton and Taupin work. Get Tumbleweed Collection, that will change your mind, that is one of the most challenging records ever produced and recognised as one of the best rock albums ever. I'm not talking about 'pop' elton here, I dislike that kind of music, we are talking about serious Elton in his fledgling years, something you wont ever heard of because of the stigma his 'pop' career brought.

See for yourself on Amazon. Look at the reviews for Tumbleweed Colelction and Madman across the water. Also the live album inbetween those will blow your socks away. If you like orchestared mucis buty 'elton John' the album, that is by far the greatest contemporay classical rock you will ever hear.
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I play the viola, flute and piano, and I sing (chorally not as a soloist). What about you?
Cello, since quite a time
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Cool, I just noticed there are completely different people posting in this thread than in others...

Hey, anybody got anything to say about UK uni orchestras? That would be a factor of judgement for me!
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
You clearly dont know any early Elton and Taupin work. Get Tumbleweed Collection, that will change your mind, that is one of the most challenging records ever produced and recognised as one of the best rock albums ever. I'm not talking about 'pop' elton here, I dislike that kind of music, we are talking about serious Elton in his fledgling years, something you wont ever heard of because of the stigma his 'pop' career brought.

See for yourself on Amazon. Look at the reviews for Tumbleweed Colelction and Madman across the water. Also the live album inbetween those will blow your socks away. If you like orchestared mucis buty 'elton John' the album, that is by far the greatest contemporay classical rock you will ever hear.

Duly read OK, I have a very open mind about music - I'll go straight to Borders and Fopp tomorrow afternoon and have a hunt for these CDs! (I'll save Amazon for last because I'm liable to spend the most money there) Tumbleweed Collection - excellent... In return I'll see if I can find a CD of some of the recorder music my friend plays and recommend it to you
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Duly read OK, I have a very open mind about music - I'll go straight to Borders and Fopp tomorrow afternoon and have a hunt for these CDs! (I'll save Amazon for last because I'm liable to spend the most money there) Tumbleweed Collection - excellent... In return I'll see if I can find a CD of some of the recorder music my friend plays and recommend it to you
Lol ok. I recomend 'Where to now St Peter?', 'burn down the mission' and 'come down in time' on tumbleweed.

if you prefer classical type music buy the black 'elton john' album (its the one with 'your song' on it). There you will find the beautiful 'greatest discovery' and 'border song' and 'sixty years on'.

Madman across the water has 'Indian sunset' probably Elton at his best vocally as a ballard singer and the staples 'tiny dancer' and 'Levon'.

The live album I refer to '17-11-70' is just Elton showing off his ability on the piano, it is more 'rocky' and has some Beatles and Stones covers.
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Trumpet (grade 8) piano (grade 7 standard, only took grade 5) clarinet (no grades - not very good, taught myself) tenor horn + french horn (no grades, i'm ok at them though).

I never learnt the recorder. I'd like to play sax and cello.

To the person asking about uni orchestras - warwick's orchestra is going to india on sunday for a week, then poland at the end of this term for a week, we're playing jupiter and mars, shostakovich festival overture, dvorak 9th (hovis ad!) elgar's nimrod and strauss emperor's waltz at the moment, so it's quite a good standard.
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Trumpet, Irish Flute, Recorder, Piano, Trombone, triangel, drums. and thats everything.
Spc_K
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I play the computer. I'm grade 8 in virtual modular synth automation, and i've got a some very good remarks about my envelope manipulation (with extra commendation on ASDR envelopes) and cunning deployment of gates in unconventional layers with multiple modulated inputs. I'm currently practising for my post grade 8 studies in compression and equalisation.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tribi18)
Id love to play the sax but jus ant got time at the mo. is it hard 2 play??
No....it's actually easier than the clarinet...which i thought would be the opposite way round...but i was wrong!!

The thing is the sax tends to be more restricted to jazz..whereas the clarinet can play all kinds of music!!

G
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
The thing is the sax tends to be more restricted to jazz..whereas the clarinet can play all kinds of music!!

G
I'd agree with that. Have you tried the Tenor or Soprano? I've wanted to try Soprano instead of Alto i prefer the range and also it's lighter. I do like the Clarinet though, very nice "woody" type of sound.(trying to speak the musical lingo here )
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (382)
14.84%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (285)
11.07%
Lack of purpose or motivation (363)
14.1%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (120)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (156)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.47%
Financial worries (95)
3.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.12%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.66%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.24%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (225)
8.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (243)
9.44%

Watched Threads