The Student Room Group

Go through clearing or stay and go through adjustment?

Since i was at least 11 ive been programming computer games (No exaggeration) and did a tankload of research into where to go for a programming degree and chose Derby.
When i first applied back in january my expectations were BCC, derby requires BBC (which I knew I could pull off).
Now ive had a lot of dirt thrown out of me for 1) Doing a "Mickey mouse" degree and 2)Not doing CS instead and 3) Going somewhere so 'crap'
Its almost june and I could potentially get A*BC, heck maybe even A*AC which is 320 - 340 points! Thats alot of points and I could have gone somewhere much better.

(Subjects are Maths, Computing and Physics respectively)

So i thought to myself I may as well apply to a better university to do Maths, Computing or maybe even joint maths&computing, its something more 'respectable' right?

I really have only 3 choices here

Keep my firm choice and apply elsewhere through "Adjustment" once I get my results

Phone the university and ask them to reject me (thus going through clearing), they would happily do it as the guy on the course was trying to dissuade people from doing it because he describes it as the "hardest course in the world"

Withdraw completely and pay the rediculously high fees next year

I really really do not know what to do guys. Asking my mother for advice is not an option as she opposes me going to university completely and nobody else in my family has been to university. I may go in on Monday next week and ask teachers for advice.
I dont think you should wait till next year. If derby has a good reputation for programming then go ahead, it really doesnt matter what everybody else says are crap unis, at the end of the day they all teach the same thing. Personally I think its better to go to universities with a lower reputation as, if you are good at what you are doing, you will become valuable, universities with a lower reputation seem to value their students more whereas uni's who everyone wants to go, it seems like you are just another student. I think you should do something which interests you, if you aren't really that into maths then dont think you should do it. If you want to spend 100% of your time in uni doing programming then only pick programming that is if you see maths as a subject on the side because maths requires alot of attention. But if you feel that maths is something you want to do and you are interested in it as much as programming then choose both. You obviously have a wider choice, maybe you could go through uni options again to see where you want to go, because when you were applying you probably chose to something close to your expected grades. Have a look at campus, visit it, what you will be studying and maybe you can choose to change your mind. Dont think teachers will encourage you to reapply next year or reject your offer. Maybe you could call other uni's when you get your results and tell them that you have changed your mind and now want to go there. Go through ucas extra if that is still around.
Adjustment is not designed for those trying to change course.
You did a lot of research before choosing Derby and you chose it on the basis of what you found. I think you should have faith in your findings. Don't be tempted to do a course you don't really want to do. It's a long time and a lot of money to spend to be unhappy.
Original post by Prosser
Since i was at least 11 ive been programming computer games (No exaggeration) and did a tankload of research into where to go for a programming degree and chose Derby.
When i first applied back in january my expectations were BCC, derby requires BBC (which I knew I could pull off).
Now ive had a lot of dirt thrown out of me for 1) Doing a "Mickey mouse" degree and 2)Not doing CS instead and 3) Going somewhere so 'crap'
Its almost june and I could potentially get A*BC, heck maybe even A*AC which is 320 - 340 points! Thats alot of points and I could have gone somewhere much better.

(Subjects are Maths, Computing and Physics respectively)

So i thought to myself I may as well apply to a better university to do Maths, Computing or maybe even joint maths&computing, its something more 'respectable' right?

I really have only 3 choices here

Keep my firm choice and apply elsewhere through "Adjustment" once I get my results

Phone the university and ask them to reject me (thus going through clearing), they would happily do it as the guy on the course was trying to dissuade people from doing it because he describes it as the "hardest course in the world"

Withdraw completely and pay the rediculously high fees next year

I really really do not know what to do guys. Asking my mother for advice is not an option as she opposes me going to university completely and nobody else in my family has been to university. I may go in on Monday next week and ask teachers for advice.

Why are you now unhappy about it? Derby have a very good reputation for programming, you want to do computer games programming, you put a lot of research into it and chose Derby for a very good reason - it is the university your research proved to be best.

What you should do is let them think what they like, you're going to have a good three years and come out with a good degree.
Reply 5
Thanks for the extremely positive replies!

I dont think you should wait till next year. If derby has a good reputation for programming then go ahead, it really doesnt matter what everybody else says are crap unis, at the end of the day they all teach the same thing....

Ive felt the same way about universities that are ranked lower. The Computer Games Programming course has an extremely good reputation unlike most other universities which host such a course which are simply some guy telling students how to program without an idea of the level of skills, organisation and dedication required for the industry.
At the open day the leader of the course simply said "This is computer games programming, it will be extremely hard." and he was going on about how every year they get students who think that since they can play games, they can make them and how its these kind of things which gives computer games programming the bad reputation it has.

Adjustment is not designed for those trying to change course.

It isn't but theres not much stopping someone from changing course anyway. I guess if you chose to do Applied Maths but tried to adjust to English literature you wouldn't get away with it but if you tried to adjust to Pure Maths you could do it.

You did a lot of research before choosing Derby and you chose it on the basis of what you found. I think you should have faith in your findings. Don't be tempted to do a course you don't really want to do. It's a long time and a lot of money to spend to be unhappy.

Thats the thing. I know I will enjoy Computer Games programming a hell of a lot more than Computer Science but as CS is a more respected degree that I could do, is it worth doing CS anyway even though I wouldn't enjoy it as much as CGP?

Why are you now unhappy about it?

Being the only person so far from my family of 7 (2 brothers, 2 sisters and parents) to even make it past higher education and with an interest in 'logical' subjects, my family have always had this idea that id do an well respected degree at a top tier university, and to them, what I'm choosing to do is well...downright disappointing. I see this degree as a good degree but they don't share the same view as I do.
The only person in my household who really wants me to go is my mothers boyfriend as he took me to the open day (as nobody else wanted to) and thought the university was brilliant and the course looked like a real challenge.
Original post by Prosser
Thats the thing. I know I will enjoy Computer Games programming a hell of a lot more than Computer Science but as CS is a more respected degree that I could do, is it worth doing CS anyway even though I wouldn't enjoy it as much as CGP?

No - if you were debating them as equal, maybe ... but not, if you'll enjoy CGP a lot more than CS, you should do CGP. When getting jobs, what matters is a combination of you as a person, what experience you have and they'll be looking to see if you got (probably) a 2.1 degree in a relevant subject if you're going for programming jobs.

You'll do much better in a course you like and be more enthusiastic about it all, plus I'm assuming you also researched the prospects for Derby CGP graduates?

Being the only person so far from my family of 7 (2 brothers, 2 sisters and parents) to even make it past higher education and with an interest in 'logical' subjects, my family have always had this idea that id do an well respected degree at a top tier university, and to them, what I'm choosing to do is well...downright disappointing. I see this degree as a good degree but they don't share the same view as I do.
The only person in my household who really wants me to go is my mothers boyfriend as he took me to the open day (as nobody else wanted to) and thought the university was brilliant and the course looked like a real challenge.

Your family will be proud of you no matter what you do. They'll see that this is something you really want and be happy for you. I rejected an offer from LSE to go down a different route via Anglia Ruskin - family were a bit surprised, but they realise this is what I wanted and support me. In the unlikely event they don't, just be happy in yourself.

It seems that all of your doubts come from other people; are you, in yourself, happy about it?
Reply 7
Original post by TheSownRose
No - if you were debating them as equal, maybe ... but not, if you'll enjoy CGP a lot more than CS, you should do CGP.

You'll do much better in a course you like and be more enthusiastic about it all, plus I'm assuming you also researched the prospects for Derby CGP graduates?

Yes, the course makes a placement year compulsary as the uni emphasises that just a degree it not enough. Students have been known to go to Microsoft Game Studios and Lionhead studios, they even got called last year because Lionhead were expecting applicants and were disappointed that they didn't get any (this was however an issue with the application system in place).
Students on the course are worked beyond the industrys standards so that when they are actually in the industry, working seems rather simple in comparison and as a consequence some employers forget that they are students at all and some students don't bother coming back for the final year (because they're in the industry and thats all they want).
Along with that, some people don't go into the industry and all and work in finance or something.

It seems that all of your doubts come from other people; are you, in yourself, happy about it?

I'm sort of happy, I only get one shot at this and I don't want to screw it up in the long run. Ive been wrong before even when I've been 100% sure and when I'm so outnumbered like this it really makes me worried.
Reply 8
Original post by Prosser
I'm sort of happy, I only get one shot at this and I don't want to screw it up in the long run. Ive been wrong before even when I've been 100% sure and when I'm so outnumbered like this it really makes me worried.
From what you've said, I'll bet the employability stats for this course are as high some of the so-called 'prestige' courses at top-ranked unis.

If this is what floats your boat, then go for it. And kudos to your mother's boyfriend for supporting you as he has. Of course there's the risk of making a mistake - but we get people on here who are miserable at Oxbridge having spent all their teen years working towards getting a place there. It seems to me that you have put forward very solid reasons for picking this course, and in spite of the doubts of your family and friends you still want to do it. I agree with carnationlilyrose and TheSownRose :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Minerva
From what you've said, I'll bet the employability stats for this course are as high some of the so-called 'prestige' courses at top-ranked unis.

If this is what floats your boat, then go for it. And kudos to your mother's boyfriend for supporting you as he has. Of course there's the risk of making a mistake - but we get people on here who are miserable at Oxbridge having spent all their teen years working towards getting a place there. It seems to me that you have put forward very solid reasons for picking this course, and in spite of the doubts of your family and friends you still want to do it. I agree with carnationlilyrose and TheSownRose :smile:

Alright, I think I will stick with CGP then.
Thank you very much for your help.
Reply 10
Original post by Prosser
Alright, I think I will stick with CGP then.
Thank you very much for your help.
Happy to be able to :smile:

Quick Reply