I'm scared of being alone in my house at night Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
This is going to sound so silly, but I'm terrified of being in my house alone overnight. I live in the countryside so it gets really, really dark and scary, and I always hear strange "house noises", so I always think there's someone lurking around.

It's getting to the point where I can't really spend the night alone and I feel like such an idiot, but it just frightens me so much. Currently I'm in by myself, sitting in my room, terrified as I keep hearing things. Is anyone else like this?
VeniViciVidi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I suggest buying a 'Where's Wally' book to occupy the time.
angelbones
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
:hugs: I am too, although only when it's really late at night.
If I'm home alone and have to turn off the lights and things downstairs, I do it at a run and then race back up to my room which has a light on and close the door.

Having music on quite loudly helps, as does having on some lights so that none of the rooms are pitch black (energy-saving be damned!).
hai2410
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
used to be similar, but as you get older you realise your house is a safe place. get terrified when your in a car, more logical.
Anonymous #2
Report 8 years ago
i feel yah sis, my house is haunted too. Seriously. They constantly move my stuff about and make me look crazy. The other day I was in the bath and I look and I see an I looking down from the attick through this airconditioner thing and I'm screaming my head off and my family are laughing at me :confused:
Marinated_in_Joy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's fair enough if you're in the middle of nowhere, however it means the crime rate is low at least!

I live in the city and my house is around 200 years old so as well as the sirens and gunshots there's so much creaking and squeaking that I think someone's in hall

Sometimes my door handle actually goes down and the door opens, that's freaky. And the window in the kitchen slowly slides up on it's own. But maybe that's just the wind......
imperial maniac
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The countryside is lols for that kind of thing, I mean, there's no one around, and the night time wildlife make these noises:

Imagine walking through a dark forest alone and hearing that :O
insignificant
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
OP i know how you feel... I get like that in the daytime too... you just have to make yourself tired so you sleep.
Astonix
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I live in the countryside too and I have to sleep with my lights on. When I'm staying at my friend's house in a town, I can sleep in the dark, I feel safer in an urban area for some reason.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Astonix)
I live in the countryside too and I have to sleep with my lights on. When I'm staying at my friend's house in a town, I can sleep in the dark, I feel safer in an urban area for some reason.
So do I! I think it's because there are more people around, and the streets are lit.
Skaterkid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Walk around with a stick
Dirac Delta Function
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This is going to sound so silly, but I'm terrified of being in my house alone overnight. I live in the countryside so it gets really, really dark and scary, and I always hear strange "house noises", so I always think there's someone lurking around.

It's getting to the point where I can't really spend the night alone and I feel like such an idiot, but it just frightens me so much. Currently I'm in by myself, sitting in my room, terrified as I keep hearing things. Is anyone else like this?
want to swap? I would love to have peace, quiet and seclusion.
Indian_Prince
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

hey dont worry about it its natural for you to be scared since you're alone at home, id recommend you get some sound insulation stuff so its less noises, dont worry nothings going to be after you by the way, why are you alone at home?
madman13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
faaaaarrrkkiiinnneellll mate just simply get your parents to book me in for babysitting you and your scared ass will open up(literally) to whole new world of being an adult
Jade2009
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah I get like that too, there's a big cornfield behind my back garden and it can get quite creepy at night. Especially when I'm home alone (the stories on here aren't helping :p:). Just keep lights on and have the TV on in the background.
kristinaalovesu
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jade2009)
Yeah I get like that too, there's a big cornfield behind my back garden and it can get quite creepy at night. Especially when I'm home alone (the stories on here aren't helping :p:). Just keep lights on and have the TV on in the background.
Oh whenever I think about a big cornfield behind the house, the movie 'The messenger', 'Jeepers Creepers', 'Texas chainsaw massacre' is what I always thought.
ktlaurenroe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I feel for you, OP! I'm so like this. Little noises, creaks, bangs, all that stuff makes me SO scared. It also doesn't help that I'm paranoid and always convinced I'm about to be murdered or am already possessed.
I had to stay by myself for a week a while back, it was really scary at first haha. Especially as my sister broke my bedroom window, so you can now open it from the outside. Scary thoughts ensued, I promise you that. But you get sort of desensitised after a while of being alone, so you'll be okay, I promise!

however, the knowledge of this having happened in my house before didn't help much:
Years ago, as in like 20 years ago, my parents decided to go out for the night. They'd just had my sister so they didn't go out much. They got back and the house had been broken into, everything valuable stolen, and a massive piece of wood with loads of nails sticking out of it left on the bed.
just to ease your tensions a bit more!
Examlover123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Dont worry, its your house! You live there day in day out and im sure nothing 'scary' has happened! Dont start worrying now! Watch some funny vids on youtube to lighten your mood
xanatos32
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Manesh2468)
hey dont worry about it its natural for you to be scared since you're alone at home, id recommend you get some sound insulation stuff so its less noises, dont worry nothings going to be after you by the way, why are you alone at home?
i really shouldn't be reading these horror stories at 12:30 in the morning...keep them coming though i kinda like them
GirlyGirl
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Go and watch Home Alone, im sure you can relate (Y)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (65)
65.66%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
21.21%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
13.13%

Watched Threads