How to get a good grade in: A-level English Language Watch

iheartmondays
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago

Hello all It seems the 'English Exam' forum has no help on English Language A so I thought I would write up one.

DISCLAIMER: This can work with any paper, it's all a matter of formulating the right structure that ticks off loads of marks.
Also, I got an A for AS English Language, a high A, just in case anyone was wondering.

I hope this helps:

Hey everyone, so these are my prediction for A2 English Language A. So far this is what the past exams have looked like:

Spoiler:
Show

First of all 'Section 1 (optional side)' is where you have the option to choose one topic/question to answer. Whether that be Language Change or Language Variation. Secondly, 'Section 2 (Discourse side - non optional side) is the section you DO NOT get a choice and have to complete the topic provided; so if the discourse side is Language Change you have to do it, vice versa!

January 2010:
Section 1 (optional side)
Language Change: Semantic change of a word.
Language Variation: Accents and Dialect.

Section 2 (discourse side - non optional)
Language Variation: Gender.

June 2010:
Language Change: Text based on war - Blended and Written Mode.
Language Variation: Gender.

Language Change: Attitudes towards language change.

January 2011:
Language Change: Text based on music - Blended and Written Mode.
Language Variation: World English

Language Change: Attitudes towards language change.

So the pattern I've noticed in Section 1 (optional side) is the following:

Language Variation:

There is always a question on Gender and Accents. So for example, if Section 2 (discourse side - non optional) has a question on Variation it will be Accents if Gender appeared in Section 1 (optional side) and vice versa.

Language Change:

Language Change on the other hand is less predictable in terms on the topic we will have to evaluate. However, this does not mean it is hard. What I have noticed about the Language Change side is that there are always two texts, obviously and they always seem to be Blended (emails, blogs - etc ) and Written Mode (newspaper, magazine - etc). Therefore recapping your AS knowledge on these two modes will be beneficial.

Now for my predictions:
Language Variation:
Gender could appear in Section 1 looking at this pattern, and I do believe Variation will be the discourse this year however, an Accent piece as it has not come up.

Language Change:
Will probably be have two texts; Blended and Written in Section 1 and I doubt it will come up in Section 2 as a Discourse as it has appeared two times in a row.

How to structure your essay - Language Change

Spoiler:
Show

Now I must inform you that this will help you tick off all the boxes if you use this method.

DISCLAIMER: This may not work for everyone.

Firstly, read through the text and note down the purpose of the text. I.e.: To inform about a war, opinion etc. This will help you not to deviate from the question.

AO1- Terminology - Correctly labelling linguistic frameworks that help to reinforce the purpose of the text. For example; clause, sentences -etc

AO3- Historical periods, religious beliefs - etc all regarding the time period relating to your text.
So if you don't know much about history try and read on things from the 18th century going. They will not ask you questions on anything before this period.

AO2- I put this last because you need to relate AO1 and AO3 to the purpose of the text. For example: Timothy uses the present progressive 'going' to illustrate to his audience (wife) that he in on his way to the train station. The use of the present progressive is relevant because in the 1960's (random date) the war was still happening. - VERY CRAP EXAMPLE but something along those lines.

PEACH

P - POINT (purpose of i.e.: using the present progressive)
E - EVIDENCE (quote from the text i.e: 'going')
a - ATTITUDE (prescriptivist, descriptivist and any relevant theories) - small 'a' because note of the attitude is not necessary in all paragraphs.
C - CHANGE (i.e.: semantic, lexical, grammatical - ie pejoration)
H - HISTORY - (was it war that introduced neologism (new words) or technology)

How to structure your essay - Language Variation
Spoiler:
Show

Now I must inform you that this will help you tick off all the boxes if you use this method.

DISCLAIMER: This may not work for everyone.

Firstly, read through the text and note down the purpose of the text. I.e.: To inform about a war, opinion etc. This will help you not to deviate from the question.

AO1- Terminology - Correctly labelling linguistic frameworks that help to reinforce the purpose of the text. For example; clause, sentences -etc

AO3 - Analyse the implications of linguistic frame works, for example: The use of the modal auxiliary 'could' illustrates the ability Sarah has to do something i.eswimming) also this is a reinforcement of her speaking/spoken mode; as there is no pre-modified structure in spoken mode, especially as Sarah's conversation is spontaneous the modal auxiliary 'could' reflects the spontaneous nature of spoken mode.

AO2 - Different views (theories) for example Robin Lakoff talks about the different use of tag questions. So you could talk about how 'Sarah' uses a particular tag question and how it reinforces Lakoff's theory.

PET
P - POINT purpose of i.e.: using the noun phrase)
E - EVIDENCE/EXAMPLE (quote from the text i.e: 'the road')
T - THEORY (prescriptivist, descriptivist, Trugdill, Sue Fox and any relevant theories)

Good Luck,
- iheartmondays
iheartmondays
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Also, this can also help you for AS English Language
mjjb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the thread seems old but i have full A level English Language exam in May/June 2014. But i'm really confused about how to prepare for paper 3: text analysis and paper 4: language topics. Can you help me in detail?
I found the information you gave helpful too. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed