The Student Room Group

Career in crime psychology A levels?

I'm going to study these A levels
English Lit
Biology
Psychology

and i can't decide my fourth.

Should i do law as this will fit into the criminal aspect of it?
Sociology?
Business studies?
Or history?
Although the history course seems very boring and i think it'd be very hard due to me not enjoying it.

At uni i want to do psychology/criminology or criminology with law.

Something to do with criminals definitely.

I know people say you don't need specific a levels for these as long as you get good grades is this true? my preferred unis would be leeds uni/leeds met or sheffield
I've got in to study Psychology with:

History
Drama
English Lit
Psychology
Philosophy

Out of those subjects I'd say Sociology just because it will fit with your interests from what I can gather. :smile:

If you want to check take a look on the Universities websites and see what they suggest. :smile:
Sheffield don't say what they want other than grades. :smile:

Leeds:

"AAB at A Level - applicants must study one or more of the following subjects: psychology, geography, mathematics, chemistry, biology, physics.

We do not accept A-Levels in critical thinking, citizenship studies, general studies and AVCEDA (dual award vocational qualifications).

We accept only one performance based A-Level e.g. photography, drama, art/design, music and PE etc. We do not consider applicants with two of these types of subjects to have the appropriate academic training and/or skills to become a successful student in the Department of Psychology.

We also require the following specific GCSE qualifications:

English at grade C and Mathematics at grade B and two of the following science qualifications at grade B: physics, biology and chemistry, science and applied science OR GCSEDA Science (dual award) at grades BB."

^^^ For psychology, Criminal Justice and Criminology just say 3 good A-Levels. :smile:
Reply 2
Ah, so basically could I take anything i wanted?
Reply 3
Sociology sounds perfect if you want to do Criminology too, they're quite similar and it works well with Psychology A-level :smile:
Reply 4
Out of the three I'd say History just because it's generally a well respected subject. Sociology is definitely better than business studies for what you're interested in, though.
Original post by Bethanyyy-
Ah, so basically could I take anything i wanted?

Pretty much yes. As long as it's well respected by Universities. :smile:
Reply 6
what about psychology, biology, english lit and law?
and then take sociology as an evening class?
Or would that be too much? xx
Reply 7
My sixth form does law classes although everyone thinks they're gonna fail cos their teacher has been ill for the last 3 months :frown:

Yeah I'd pick 4 from; law, sociology, psychology, chemistry, biology, maths, history, english lit, history, philosophy.
Original post by Bethanyyy-
what about psychology, biology, english lit and law?
and then take sociology as an evening class?
Or would that be too much? xx

yesss that would be totally fine i'd think. :smile: no where would expect 5 i don't think because not all 6th forms let you do that many.

i'd say those are strong subjects and you wouldn't need to do another subject unless you wanted to. :smile:

because for psych they ask for, at most, 2 sciences, so you've covered that with psychology and biology. and for criminology they'd like psychology/biology but they'd also want to see your essay writing skills which they would through english lit and law. :smile: as far as i can see they're the perfect choices. :smile:
i want to do criminology but i cannot find any colleges doing the a level they only have it in diplomas
i want to do criminology but i cannot find any colleges doing the a level they only have it in diplomas
Original post by Neli Mouka

I think criminology is only offered as a diploma
yeah i just found out that it is in college do you know if it is ok to study law instead so i can take criminal psychology in uni
im thinking of taking of taking law, psychology and sociology
Original post by Neli Mouka
yeah i just found out that it is in college do you know if it is ok to study law instead so i can take criminal psychology in uni
im thinking of taking of taking law, psychology and sociology

That seems alright to me

Quick Reply

Latest