The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Supermerp
It's owned by the same people. Having read the thing more closely I'm not sure how 'Bedouin' it's likely to actually be. Also I realise I'd read about it somewhere else before.

Ah, ok.
Reply 2101
I just got my babiesssss! :biggrin:
Original post by Zoedotdot

Nice! What proportion are mathmos? :p:
Reply 2103
Original post by Tortious
Nice! What proportion are mathmos? :p:

Zero :frown: I have an architect, an engineer, a linguist (a real one, not MML), a medic and a phys natsci. A nicely varied brood I think :smile:
Reply 2104

hahaha this is such a cute post :biggrin:
If someone who didn't know about the Cambridge families system saw all this talk of Marriages, siblings, babies and parents, they would just think "WTF."
xD
Zero :frown: I have an architect, an engineer, a linguist (a real one, not MML), a medic and a phys natsci. A nicely varied brood I think :smile:

That's pretty good. :smile: Do they try and assign by subject like Pembroke does? I had half of the second year lawyers as my parents (best family ever!) and a lawyer sister. Are there any other adults in your family, or are you a single parent? :giggle:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2106
That's pretty good. :smile: Do they try and assign by subject like Pembroke does? I had half of the second year lawyers as my parents (best family ever!) and a lawyer sister. Are there any other adults in your family, or are you a single parent? :giggle:

Nah, we have subject parents who are second years - usually two or three who parent the entirety of the freshers in their subject :smile: I've already done that one! Then our college parents are third or fourth years and they try to balance it across the subjects. In my family I had two parents who did Music, and then my siblings were an architect, a medic, a mathmo and a geographer. My husband is an engineer - he was on the MIT exchange last year so didn't get to have a family either :smile:
Nah, we have subject parents who are second years - usually two or three who parent the entirety of the freshers in their subject :smile: I've already done that one! Then our college parents are third or fourth years and they try to balance it across the subjects. In my family I had two parents who did Music, and then my siblings were an architect, a medic, a mathmo and a geographer. My husband is an engineer - he was on the MIT exchange last year so didn't get to have a family either :smile:

:indiff:

That sounds complicated - I bet it's even more confusing for freshers trying to convey who "mum" is (biological/college parent/subject parent). :biggrin:

We'll get to relive all of the milestones we've reached - first Family Night, first formal, first bop... :moon:

Wow, I want college children again, but at Caius I don't think finalists get them.

And arrggh, too much Santiago stress. There's a general strike here tomorrow and Thursday, and I've been advised by several people not to leave the house, to make sure I have enough food in and a torch, because it's likely to turn very violent and there could be electricity cuts. I'm kind of scared. And the thought of having to spend two days in my house is making me want to cry, as I'm having a couple of problems with my landlady (apparently asking her at 2am in the morning if she would mind asking the people in the room above me to be a little bit quieter as I'm ill and need to sleep is expecting everything to revolve around my needs :s-smilie: And this is when she asked me to move rooms a few months back because she was worried that I might disturb potential new tenants because I tend to stay up quite late :rolleyes:)

That sounds complicated - I bet it's even more confusing for freshers trying to convey who "mum" is (biological/college parent/subject parent). :biggrin:

We'll get to relive all of the milestones we've reached - first Family Night, first formal, first bop... :moon:

We get halfway hall next year too! (Although because I'm probably doing a four-year course, I can convince myself it's not nearly over :redface:)
Reply 2110

It actually makes a lot of sense because it means that people get to meet their subject groups and other randoms over the first couple of days, and they have two sets of people in older years to go to - one for subject related stuff and the other for any kind of pastoral needs. 'Mum' would be the college parent though - subject parents are more like crazy aunties and uncles despite the name :p: I personally found it really useful to get to know people who weren't linguists on the first day, because it gave me a wider social scope from the beginning. I was pretty shy back then, so the sense of 'belonging' to two groups of people was really nice :smile: And two of my siblings are still two of my best friends!

Original post by Crazy_emz

And arrggh, too much Santiago stress. There's a general strike here tomorrow and Thursday, and I've been advised by several people not to leave the house, to make sure I have enough food in and a torch, because it's likely to turn very violent and there could be electricity cuts. I'm kind of scared. And the thought of having to spend two days in my house is making me want to cry, as I'm having a couple of problems with my landlady (apparently asking her at 2am in the morning if she would mind asking the people in the room above me to be a little bit quieter as I'm ill and need to sleep is expecting everything to revolve around my needs :s-smilie: And this is when she asked me to move rooms a few months back because she was worried that I might disturb potential new tenants because I tend to stay up quite late :rolleyes:)

That sucks :frown: Stupid Chileans, leave Emma alone :judge: How long is it until you get back home now? I hope you stay safe :smile:

That sucks :frown: Stupid Chileans, leave Emma alone :judge: How long is it until you get back home now? I hope you stay safe :smile:

Thanks :biggrin: I'm leaving two weeks on Thursday, scary times. Half of me really wants to get back to England and see my family and avoid aforementioned ridiculous situations. The other half really wants to stay, because I love my life here and I'm going to miss my Chilean friends so much. Are you in England now?
Reply 2112
Original post by Crazy_emz
Thanks :biggrin: I'm leaving two weeks on Thursday, scary times. Half of me really wants to get back to England and see my family and avoid aforementioned ridiculous situations. The other half really wants to stay, because I love my life here and I'm going to miss my Chilean friends so much. Are you in England now?

Yeps, been in England for donkey's years... I felt like I needed to be at home over the summer for various reasons, so while it's not been the summer I was planning, it was the right thing to do and has been pretty fun and productive :smile: I think once you get back you'll slip right into it, I still have major missing Russia pangs but it's a case of just getting on with the life that's in front of you! It'll be a bit up and down going back to Cambridge though, I'm desperate to get back and absolutely terrified all at once.
****ing earthquake... My gf asked me if I was shaken up. Not sure whether pun intentional. :rolleyes:
Reply 2114
I'm wondering whether it's worth asking my college daughters about their children - although it would be kinda weird, given that they themselves will be 2nd years by now and probably know more about Cambridge these days than me. That, and my wife has left me/Cambridge... :frown:

Last time I was back (two weeks ago) I discovered a new Hollister, to my delight, but couldn't find the Waffle Company, to my horror. Not sure if this is because it's gone or because I'm unobservant though.

Needs more Arts. Like, real Arts. :tongue:

I think I've had communication with three of the new MMLers now from College, either in person or online. And possibly a fourth, but don't know if that one got in. I'm really curious to find out who they are. Is this weird?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2116
I was going to enter a 3 way marriage with two of my friends cos my wife didn't want children this year - however, the guy entrusted with emailing for children completely forgot. So I'm college barren next year :<

always 4th year i suppose...
Reply 2117
Original post by Canned Door
Needs more Arts. Like, real Arts. :tongue:

I think I've had communication with three of the new MMLers now from College, either in person or online. And possibly a fourth, but don't know if that one got in. I'm really curious to find out who they are. Is this weird?

Yeah, although I don't really have any friends doing arts subjects apart from MMLers and a lone historian so I'm used to science domination :p:

Ooh, keep meaning to ask, do you think you could put me/other fourth year linguists in touch with your subject children? We want to do linguist events and make sure everyone knows us next year :smile: Just if you know who the subject parents are in the year below and you have their cam addresses or anything that would be great! :smile: How's Germany?
Reply 2118
Original post by Athena
It's been gone nearly a year now - it's a Ladbrokes :bawling:

Gutted. My first reaction was to neg your post, before reason returned and I realised there was no need to shoot the messenger :tongue:
Original post by Athena
My college daughter (from 2007!) starts at my department in October :biggrin: The great Wadham-to-Cambridge conversion continues apace...

My gf's going from Cambridge to Oxford in October. :no:

Latest

Trending

Trending