The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7240
Original post by ukebert

Saw you in 'The Government Inspector' on Tuesday :smile: Your music worked very well with the play, loved it :smile:
Can I ask what you thought of the performance? I loved most of the main cast, esp. the inspector her(him-)self, but personally I found some of the supporting cast a bit weak. Also, why is it that most actors forget you can convey emotion through other means than incessant screaming and squealing? I've seen this in a few Cambridge productions now and it's a bit of a shame because it sometimes spoils what would be a perfectly fine performance otherwise :s-smilie:
Reply 7241
Original post by gethsemane342
I don't think the Squire is particularly awe-inspiring. Then again, I've practically lived in the same spot for 3 years so maybe it's fallen off me now (I knew I'd spent too long going there when one of the librarians decided to chat to me. During the conversation, she mentioned she'd wanted to talk to me because she's gotten so used to seeing me over the last 2.5 years, she felt she should. However, she was a very lovely person :smile:)

Original post by Tortious
Surely by "wonders of the Law Library" he means that it's awe-inspiring rather than "wonderful"? :p:

(I suspect it's because, for some reason, economists have been having lectures in our Fac, so he's finally had a look around.)

Nevertheless, I'd be interested to hear some of your poetry. :h:

For unto us a library is born, unto us a place for reading is given. And my tripos grade shall rest on its shoulders, and it shall be called place with reliable wifi, sensible opening hours, surprising amounts of light, spinny chairs, toilets on each floor, not heated with the fire of a thousand angry Ron Paul voters, a reasonably priced coffee machine in the basement, and enough space that nobody glares at me when I spend all my time on Sporcle.
(With apologies to the prophet Isaiah.)

The Marshall Library is open 9-7 Monday to Friday, with no weekend opening and you have to get the card specially validated by the custodian to get in after 5. Lapwing didn't work for me last time I was in there and it's usually pretty full. (Also, I have outstanding fines... :getmecoat:) This is the first time I've been in the library - I've normally camped out in the Seeley and am tempted to try English on Sundays.

Original post by Tortious
Oooooh... *winces*

Mind you, even using images doesn't always enhance a story. There was one about the sex attacker a few months back, and part of an email from Pembroke's Senior Tutor was quoted. The paper (The Telegraph?) used a photo of Pembroke College, Oxford. :facepalm2:

Original post by Craghyrax
Not really :lolwut:

Eugh, its so annoying when the press covers Oxbridge. One college is not 'The University of Cambridge', and they could have at least have found a photo of Catz on the internet...

Exeter made the same mistake during the last admissions cycle. Except they did it at a worse time, sending out congratulatory letters to firmed applicants who had missed their offers on Results day :facepalm:

Ouch. It's good for us though because the longer no-one knows who we are:
1) No tourists.
2) Fewer casual applicants.
3) We'll still score zero points when they ask about Cambridge colleges on Pointless.
So I'm not too worried about there not being a photo. Seriously, this isn't even close to the most embarrassing news story we've had...

Original post by Mr Dactyl

The thing as a whole is still too much pitched at the top thirty or forty percent of people, from the difficulty of the example sheets to the way the exams don't provide a particularly good divison of thirds from lower seconds, or even lower from upper seconds, but somehow manage to rank the top twenty people pretty clearly. /rant

*applauds* I'm an economist but I can see from the mathmos that the course is clearly directed way above the level it should be... Also, if it takes five minutes to explain the scoring system, your exam marking is either too complicated or some kind of game show.
Reply 7242
Original post by lp386

*applauds* I'm an economist but I can see from the mathmos that the course is clearly directed way above the level it should be... Also, if it takes five minutes to explain the scoring system, your exam marking is either too complicated or some kind of game show.

I disagree partly: The problem with the scoring system is NOT the complexity (it is essentially just: We'll put this on some kind of curve which heavily incentivises fewer complete answers over more incomplete ones. It's just that mathmos would never be happy about this description and so the procedure has been formalized and made public).

However, it is true, as Mr Dactyl aptly noted, that the Maths tripos fails to cater for anyone 'in the bottom third' of the class list. This is an outrageous shame, because the very vast majority of those people are very clever, have proven to be so during their interviews and admissions tests (STEP) and would have achieved at least a 2.1 if they had gone elsewhere. (I realise that this is quite a bold statement, but I'm quite confident in it: Apart from those who lost the motivation to do maths at some point during their degree, every Cambridge mathmo would get a 2.1 at least at most other universities.)
Original post by Y__

However, it is true, as Mr Dactyl aptly noted, that the Maths tripos fails to cater for anyone 'in the bottom third' of the class list. This is an outrageous shame, because the very vast majority of those people are very clever, have proven to be so during their interviews and admissions tests (STEP) and would have achieved at least a 2.1 if they had gone elsewhere. (I realise that this is quite a bold statement, but I'm quite confident in it: Apart from those who lost the motivation to do maths at some point during their degree, every Cambridge mathmo would get a 2.1 at least at most other universities.)

I always use Cambridge mathmos as my example when I explain to people that marks here can be unfair, and Cambridge can disadvantage some people. I think its the most obvious example of exceptional people being punished for being at the bottom end of the best minds in the country/world.
:frown:
Reply 7244
I always use Cambridge mathmos as my example when I explain to people that marks here can be unfair, and Cambridge can disadvantage some people. I think its the most obvious example of exceptional people being punished for being at the bottom end of the best minds in the country/world.

PRSOM.
I'm sure it happens in other subjects as well, but Maths is probably the most pronounced and most easily quantifiable example.
Sure, the maths department insists on giving out a high number of firsts (justifiably so, imho), but they also insist on giving out 25-30% 2.ii's. Now I don't know what the percentage of people getting 2.ii's in Maths is like in other places, but I can't imagine it to be much higher. Hence, in terms of the marking, the system ranks the bottom third of Cambridge mathmos the same as the bottom third of Uni X (no names to not cause offense) mathmos.
The old 'yeah, but you have a Cam degree, surely that counts for something' argument doesn't hold up either - for many of the things that people might want to do after uni, getting a 2.i is a 'tick the box' requirement which can't be circumvented through special consideration.
Reply 7245
Original post by Y__
PRSOM.
I'm sure it happens in other subjects as well, but Maths is probably the most pronounced and most easily quantifiable example.
Sure, the maths department insists on giving out a high number of firsts (justifiably so, imho), but they also insist on giving out 25-30% 2.ii's. Now I don't know what the percentage of people getting 2.ii's in Maths is like in other places, but I can't imagine it to be much higher. Hence, in terms of the marking, the system ranks the bottom third of Cambridge mathmos the same as the bottom third of Uni X (no names to not cause offense) mathmos.
The old 'yeah, but you have a Cam degree, surely that counts for something' argument doesn't hold up either - for many of the things that people might want to do after uni, getting a 2.i is a 'tick the box' requirement which can't be circumvented through special consideration.

PRSOM to the both of you.
And it's how you can get around that. Different scoring system? This is especially true now you're dealing with online applications which simply filter out anyone without a 2:1. It's really hard to comfort friends who've just ended up with a 2:2, but are phenomenal mathematicians by any standard, and how being in the bottom third of the top 1% of mathematicians in the country can lead to you being worse off than someone who's much less talented or diligent. That's hard for me to reckon with and I imagine it's a hundred times harder for them.

On the other hand, no-one at the national level is prepared to admit that a Cambridge degree is fundamentally different from a degree from whichever other uni you care to name, and I think the difference is biggest by far in Maths. You can't fix it until you can agree that degrees are different and there's not really a national standard.
For example, QAA (the board that regulates degrees) demanded that Cambridge economics raise their percentage of firsts from 10%, arguing that they had the most talented economists in the country and it wasn't fair. But if you handed out 50% firsts (and Maths for certain would probably deserve this...) you'd barely be able to hear the screams of grade inflation over the screams of unfairness from other universities (we work hard too! we pay the same fees! why should they be advantaged because they go to Scumbridge?). Tricky problem, but one that really needs fixing, because otherwise we're losing people who go to another university for an easier ride and a better grade.
Blame Labour. Along with the idea that everyone and his dog has to have a degree came the idea that saying university x produces more competent graduates than university y amounts to crimes against humanity. (Graduate milkround) Employers know that a high 2.2 from Cambridge is more of an achievement than a low 2.1 from pretty much anywhere else, yet to say so would be commit "elitism", which has somehow been lumped in with real problems like racism and sexism as the sin du jour.

It makes me sick that for many people getting a good degree from a worse university is a better career move than coming to Cambridge.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7247
Original post by Y__
I disagree partly: The problem with the scoring system is NOT the complexity (it is essentially just: We'll put this on some kind of curve which heavily incentivises fewer complete answers over more incomplete ones. It's just that mathmos would never be happy about this description and so the procedure has been formalized and made public).
I'm not convinced that the system is made that public. It's clear what the merit mark is meant to achieve, but judging from the last four paragraphs of page three of thisthis, along with the graph on page 4, candidates were classified according to a formula of 30a+5b rather than 15a+5b. Moving a few borderline candidates is one thing, but this completely changes the borderline itself. The merit mark is then used to rank within the class, with the rather bizarre result that someone roughly 5 marks over the borderline can get 62%.
Original post by BigFudamental

It makes me sick that for many people getting a good degree from a worse university is a better career move than coming to Cambridge.

Sick? I think there are far worse issues in the world to waste your energy on.
Original post by lp386
PRSOM to the both of you.
And it's how you can get around that. Different scoring system? This is especially true now you're dealing with online applications which simply filter out anyone without a 2:1. It's really hard to comfort friends who've just ended up with a 2:2, but are phenomenal mathematicians by any standard, and how being in the bottom third of the top 1% of mathematicians in the country can lead to you being worse off than someone who's much less talented or diligent. That's hard for me to reckon with and I imagine it's a hundred times harder for them.

On the other hand, no-one at the national level is prepared to admit that a Cambridge degree is fundamentally different from a degree from whichever other uni you care to name, and I think the difference is biggest by far in Maths. You can't fix it until you can agree that degrees are different and there's not really a national standard..

Ditto this. It worries me a fair amount that if I get a 2.ii (which is looking more and more likely :frown:) a fair amount of job applications I submit won't ever be looked at. It's difficult to say if I think my degree is harder than the same degree at a different university, as I've only ever done this one, but I do seem to think I'd be on at least 2.i somewhere else. I quite liked the idea of further study after undergrad, too, but that's never happening now.

I love Cambridge, but it is pretty upsetting sometimes. At least it's week 8 now.
Sick? I think there are far worse issues in the world to waste your energy on.

True, but not many are likely to be as relevant.
Original post by alex_hk90
True, but not many are likely to be as relevant.

Relevant to who?
Forgive me, but my heart isn't breaking for the screwed over Tabs in the world.
Reply 7252
I have a mathmo friend who got an internship at a very good company midway through his second year, when the only result he had was a third in first year. Having graduated, he now works for them. So clearly it's not impossible and there are companies who do take it into account! This is a big, very well known name as well.
I think that in practice, many employers or Universities set certain criteria, but behind the scenes they do let people from Oxbridge through.
I think it worked in my favour too, as winning PhD funding on a 2.1 is almost impossible in this climate (in Arts/Social Sciences). While they said that my references swung it, those references were big names thanks to me being at Cam, and I'm pretty sure the Cam factor must have been important too.
Relevant to who?
Forgive me, but my heart isn't breaking for the screwed over Tabs in the world.

Relevant to Cambridge students, this is the Cambridge Chat Thread after all.
It might be 'relevant', but its certainly not what I'd find 'sickening'.
Reply 7256
Re: people above talking about maths... I hope you all replied to my email last week :wink:

You might be interested to know that Durham gave out 66% firsts in 2009.

In descending order of %age 1sts in Maths (in 2009):
1. Durham (66%)
2. UEA (45%)
3. Bath (42%)
4. Sussex (40%)
5. Warwick (38%)
6. Oxford (38%)
7. City (35%)
8. Kent (35%)
9. Reading (35%)
10. UCL (33%)
11. Queen's Belfast (32%)
12. Nottingham (32%)
12. Cambridge (32%)
13. York (31%)
14. Liverpool (31%)
15. Cardiff (30%)

I wonder what you guys think of that.
Original post by Topaz_eyes
Ditto this. It worries me a fair amount that if I get a 2.ii (which is looking more and more likely :frown:) a fair amount of job applications I submit won't ever be looked at. It's difficult to say if I think my degree is harder than the same degree at a different university, as I've only ever done this one, but I do seem to think I'd be on at least 2.i somewhere else. I quite liked the idea of further study after undergrad, too, but that's never happening now.

I love Cambridge, but it is pretty upsetting sometimes. At least it's week 8 now.

Aye. I've applied to 7 or 8 jobs, had one unsuccessful interview (because I had worked there already), 2 outright rejections and the others haven't bothered to reply. I think that it is the 2:2 thing, other than that my application is fairly strong. It's a bugger.
Reply 7258
As a side note to the grades discussion, how many of you would have chosen to go elsewhere because you think you would have been able to get a better grade?

Had I gone to a different university I may well have had a better chance of getting a first (although I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption as I've never actually been to a different university and I don't know precisely how much standards differ). However, even if that were the case I still wouldn't swap going to Cambridge. I met some guys from other well respected universities when I was on my year abroad and we chatted a bit about what Russian literature we'd studied - they essentially did one book or one author per term in their second year, whereas at that point I had already read a wide variety of novels, short stories and poetry from 1865 until the present day. Even though they'd studied Dostoevskii in detail and I'd only done two or three supervisions on a few of his stories (and read some novels in my spare time), I could still hold my own in a discussion with them about his works. It's Cambridge that has given me the combination of a really broad framework and the opportunity for in depth discussion in the supervisions, and has taught me how to think (not in a prescriptive way, but the actual act of thinking) and how to discuss. I don't think I would have been self-motivated enough to give myself that if I had been somewhere else. However, I think that is somewhat easier for me to say, partly because I was never at university in order to get myself into the job market (university has always been pretty much the apex of my ambitions) and partly because I'm doing an arts subject in which about four people per year get lower than a 2.i in Part II.
Original post by Zoedotdot
As a side note to the grades discussion, how many of you would have chosen to go elsewhere because you think you would have been able to get a better grade?

Had I gone to a different university I may well have had a better chance of getting a first (although I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption as I've never actually been to a different university and I don't know precisely how much standards differ). However, even if that were the case I still wouldn't swap going to Cambridge. I met some guys from other well respected universities when I was on my year abroad and we chatted a bit about what Russian literature we'd studied - they essentially did one book or one author per term in their second year, whereas at that point I had already read a wide variety of novels, short stories and poetry from 1865 until the present day. Even though they'd studied Dostoevskii in detail and I'd only done two or three supervisions on a few of his stories (and read some novels in my spare time), I could still hold my own in a discussion with them about his works. It's Cambridge that has given me the combination of a really broad framework and the opportunity for in depth discussion in the supervisions, and has taught me how to think (not in a prescriptive way, but the actual act of thinking) and how to discuss. I don't think I would have been self-motivated enough to give myself that if I had been somewhere else. However, I think that is somewhat easier for me to say, partly because I was never at university in order to get myself into the job market (university has always been pretty much the apex of my ambitions) and partly because I'm doing an arts subject in which about four people per year get lower than a 2.i in Part II.

PRSOM.

I was thinking about this, and despite the fact that I quite possibly would have found the course at another university a bit easier (I was looking at similar courses at a couple of other universities the other day, and we do read a lot more here, and I think that, at least in the first year, the language exams seem to be more demanding) and that I almost certainly would have had a better time socially at another university, I still don't regret coming here. Partly because I had a great year abroad and the Erasmus Mundus scholarship I got to do it was only available at certain European universities (Cambridge was the only UK one), but mostly because I want to be the best I can be at my subject, and the individual attention I get here, plus the breadth and depth of the courses is ideal for that. I feel like I've really developed intellectually and have lots of subject-specific interests now. And I was never too ambitious on the job front, either, so I wouldn't have wanted to go to a different uni just because I thought it would be easier to get the magic 2.1...there is something I quite like about pushing myself to my limits.

On the other hand, it is frustrating when friends at other universities seem to be working much less than you, and still get 2.1s and even firsts, but I suppose that's life...

Latest

Trending

Trending