PE Grades (Short course) Watch

quintsy
Badges: 3
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Uh, anyone who knows me, or remembers my post in the careers forum will now all about my love/hate relationship with PE.

I would love to be a PE Teacher, but sadly I never really had the chance to prove myself, because my teachers remembered my sister before me who hated PE and wasn't all that good at it. So they naturally expected me to follow suit and instantly put me in the bottom group. My school also puts a lot of emphasis on athletics, and at 5"3 my legs aren't exactly those of a sprinter and as for long distance, I haven't had all that much experience.

This year is my first year of GCSEs, so we are in in graded PE groups, which is something of a blessing. My PE teacher is also new herself, which is equally a blessing, as she has no pre-judgement. So anyway, I chose badminton for my first activity, unfortunately with 40 other people. They told us they'd have to cut the group down, but they never did. This made PE lessons manic, 40 people trying to play badminton on four courts. It no doubt made grading us quite hard.

She graded us, and I felt my friend and I had done alright, but due to the lack of space I think we did slightly worse than we do normally at badminton club. Anyway, the cleaner got rid of these grades, so she had to re-grade us.

Sadly, she didn't get round to grading my fried and I, so today when we had our final assessment, she had nothing to go by. She spent 45 minutes of the lesson re-assessing the people she already knew had 9s and 10s and finally worked her way down the rest of the court. She looked at me and my partner for literally 1 and a half minutes before giving us our mark.

Needless to say she gave all of the rest of us fives and I'm slightly gutted. I know I could have done better, but it's too late now. I'm just wondering what this could make my final grade like. A 5 is like a C/D isn't it? So what would I have to get on the other units to compensate?

I'm alright at theory ish, I got 89% on our last PE theory end of year paper.
lil groovy dude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by suuuuuuseh)
Uh, anyone who knows me, or remembers my post in the careers forum will now all about my love/hate relationship with PE.

I would love to be a PE Teacher, but sadly I never really had the chance to prove myself, because my teachers remembered my sister before me who hated PE and wasn't all that good at it. So they naturally expected me to follow suit and instantly put me in the bottom group. My school also puts a lot of emphasis on athletics, and at 5"3 my legs aren't exactly those of a sprinter and as for long distance, I haven't had all that much experience.

This year is my first year of GCSEs, so we are in in graded PE groups, which is something of a blessing. My PE teacher is also new herself, which is equally a blessing, as she has no pre-judgement. So anyway, I chose badminton for my first activity, unfortunately with 40 other people. They told us they'd have to cut the group down, but they never did. This made PE lessons manic, 40 people trying to play badminton on four courts. It no doubt made grading us quite hard.

She graded us, and I felt my friend and I had done alright, but due to the lack of space I think we did slightly worse than we do normally at badminton club. Anyway, the cleaner got rid of these grades, so she had to re-grade us.

Sadly, she didn't get round to grading my fried and I, so today when we had our final assessment, she had nothing to go by. She spent 45 minutes of the lesson re-assessing the people she already knew had 9s and 10s and finally worked her way down the rest of the court. She looked at me and my partner for literally 1 and a half minutes before giving us our mark.

Needless to say she gave all of the rest of us fives and I'm slightly gutted. I know I could have done better, but it's too late now. I'm just wondering what this could make my final grade like. A 5 is like a C/D isn't it? So what would I have to get on the other units to compensate?

I'm alright at theory ish, I got 89% on our last PE theory end of year paper.
That is totally unfair you know! Well done on the 89% btw!
Click here ( http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-3...-WRE-Jun05.pdf ) to find the examiners report which includes grade boundaries!
Hope this helps!
quintsy
Thanks

I don't know, I can't blame her. A class of 40 students, so 40 individual assessments- I don't envy her!

I just am starting to think that no GCSE at all would look better than a D or something. I mean my PE teacher told me it isn't necessary to take it at GCSE anyway, so if I didn't take it, they wuldn't know how good or bad I was. But if you take it and get a terrible mark in it..it won't look so good..
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey, I take short course PE as well and sincerely regretting it :p: I don't know why I took it... it was a choice between short course, full course (no way on earth), JSLA or Entry level. Entry level was only boys and I wasn't much interested in JSLA, so I took short course... the theory is pips (I got 95% last year and it's multiple choice), but it's 60% practical coursework which sucks. I wish I haven't taken it, because having no GCSE in it (IMO) is much better than a D or a C, which I'm bound to get anyway.

Which board do you take? I do Edexcel.
hellom
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't do p.e so I might be wrong but could n't you just tell your teacher you think it was unfair and ask to be re -assesed with your freind after school.Also, say how u want to become a pe teacher and do p.e for a level so that she feels sorry for you and wants to give you the chance to redo the assessment.
quintsy
That's an idea, she's not a bad person. I mean she's the first PE teacher to come to our school and actually make an effort.

She only came in September, and she organised for us to finally get some football matches after literally years of informal practices run by a maths teacher, because the PE department at our school is so biased towards netball (one of the disadvantages of going to a girls' school).

I just don't know what this'll mean for the rest of the course. I picked aerobics for my second activity, but I'm not sure if this will be easy or not to get a decent grade on. I think the aerobics unit is all about planning fitness programs and showing improvement right?

Excalibur, I agree 100%. It would look better not to have anything at all rather than something not so good. And to think I wanted to take full course..well they wouldn't let me as I was in the bottom group. I wonder how I would have faired in the smaller full course group?

(I think I'm taking OCR by the way.)
Excalibur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, our school is heavily centred on netball as well, and rugby for the boys. It's as if the other sports are non-existant :rolleyes:

We were kind of forced to do netball and fitness for our assessments... apparently, fitness is quite easy to get good marks on (plus it's warm inside :p: ).
quintsy
That's a plus

I'm a bit worried though..because I never do so well on the bleep test because I have the whole fear of being sick thing..which means I don't like to push myself that hard.

Trust me, I have had too many bleep tests spent patting my friend on the back as she's sick outside..augh lol.

I do a lot of football though, my PE teacher made me captain of the football team..which was a surprise to say the least! I am really thankful to her for finally getting us matches, I hate the way it's all about netball at our school. The only complaint I have about her is well, the whole marking saga of course..ha..and the fact she wants to enforce mandatory showering. :O

Scary to say the least.
Excalibur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Bleep tests induce throwing up? Euch, I don't think I want to do fitness at all. I'm terrified of being sick!
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Excalibur)
Bleep tests induce throwing up? Euch, I don't think I want to do fitness at all. I'm terrified of being sick!
I never threw up when we did the bleep test, but that's probably because I was crap at PE so I was never running as fast as you two probably do! The fact that I managed to beat everyone else in my mixed group says a lot about the standard they were at!!!
quintsy
(Original post by kellywood_5)
I never threw up when we did the bleep test, but that's probably because I was crap at PE so I was never running as fast as you two probably do! The fact that I managed to beat everyone else in my mixed group says a lot about the standard they were at!!!
Yeah, my friend is um, slightly overweight. I jusr don't push myself as hard as I could, because it kind of put me off hehe.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, my friend is um, slightly overweight. I jusr don't push myself as hard as I could, because it kind of put me off hehe.
Hehe, very tactful :p:
quintsy
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Hehe, very tactful :p:
I'm sorry, I was trying to think of a way to phrase it..especially on the internet, aughh. It's so hard to phrase things on here..

Anyway, I just found out that D of E Bronze counts as a 9 for one of your PE units..and I've done that and am now doing silver- which counts as a 10! I suddenly love D of E
Excalibur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm sorry, I was trying to think of a way to phrase it..especially on the internet, aughh. It's so hard to phrase things on here..

Anyway, I just found out that D of E Bronze counts as a 9 for one of your PE units..and I've done that and am now doing silver- which counts as a 10! I suddenly love D of E
What??? Is that true??? (although it probably would only be true for your exam board, dammit.... :mad: )
quintsy
What??? Is that true??? (although it probably would only be true for your exam board, dammit.... :mad: )
Well, back in year nine, my old PE teacher and I were discussing what activities I could do for full course (that was before my head of year- the netball coach tod me being in bottom group she wouldn't let me take it), because you have to pick four. She said to me- "D of E counts as an activity, so you only need to pick three others". I didn't think much of that at the time, because I didn't quite understand how exactly the marking system worked, and what doing each of these activities meant.

Now today I was talking to my friend and she said to me that maybe the whole 5/10 thing wasn't so bad, because apparently D of E raises your grade anyway. This mystified me and I asked how so, she said: "I'm not sure, all I know is that apparently it raises it."

So I took this up with my older sister, and she said that D of E does count as an activity. I said: "So wait a second, because I'm doing fitness and badminton, does that mean I'm not doing one of them anymore or?". She then said to me they do it how we do science coursework and English orals. You can do as many activities as you wish, just they take the two activities you got the highest marks in.

If you do bronze, this counts as an activity, and you automatically get 9/10 (providing you pass). This means if you get say 6 on your first chosen activity, 7 on your second, and you've done bronze, they'll take your second activity mark and the 9 from D of E, because they were the two highest ones.

If you do silver, you automatically get 10/10. So since I did badminton and got 5, I'm going to do fitness- so say I get 6 on that for example, and I will have done silver- they'll take the 6 from fitness and the 10 from silver.
Excalibur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But surely you needed someone to assess it on the day of your expedition? Also, what exam board are you on?
quintsy
But surely you needed someone to assess it on the day of your expedition? Also, what exam board are you on?
Apparently not!

I'm on OCR I think. You're on Edexcel aren't you?

The activities do not vary that much from board to board, and Edexcel has a section called "adventurous activities". It has in it: "Sailing, canoeing or kayaking, climbing, trekking or orienteering, skiing or snowboarding, boardsailing, personal survival or lifesaving."

Apparently D of E covers quite a few of those areas, therefore it counts as an activity.

You'd have to ask your PE teachers, but I think it could well count.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?