The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Star_struck
sounds a bit strange but i place the pad in my knickers slightly further back so that the wings don't perfectly fold over...

works for me.... (also i try to sleep only on my side) .............it is a pain though -_-

Yes I also do this because the blood travels further back, but I tend to leak on the sides, I think always should make the back of the night pad a bit broader!
Reply 21
Original post by Cinamon
Mooncup - they make those 5 days a month so much easier!!

Hmm I would like to try this! Are they reusable or can you buy disposable ones? Also does it stickout? And doesn't the blood like "dry out" inside it?
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous
Hmm I would like to try this! Are they reusable or can you buy disposable ones? Also does it stickout? And doesn't the blood like "dry out" inside it?

I'm only aware of reusable ones. You can cut the 'cord', which is what you use to pull it out, to whatever length you want, so I have mine quite short and it doesn't stick out at all. No the blood doesn't dry out! I really recommend the mooncup because like you I don't like the idea of putting cotton wool with all sorts of chemicals in it up there!!

Also on my heaviest days I set an alarm to get me up at 3 in the morning, otherwise I would leak. Most people I know do a similar thing.
(edited 12 years ago)

Posted the thread with lots of info on the previous page. To answer your questions, all menstrual cups except for the instead cup are reusable. Instead cup is disposable, but looks very fiddly. They may only be available in the US. The cup itself doesn't stick out. it sits inside you. There is a stem that might stick out that you can trim. many women cut all of the stem off. No the blood doesn't dry out. It only does that in air, since its inside you, and the cup forms a seal, there is nothing to dry it out. it just sits in the cup until you take it out and empty it. It holds about a third of a womans average flow. On heavy days It can fill for me. I empty and clean it only twice a day, first thing in the morning and last thing at night except for the 2nd day, which is always my heaviest. It has only ever leaked twice. Once when I hadn't put it in properly and the seal hadn't formed, once on an unusually heavy day and I suppose it kind of overflowed.

The mooncup is the best thing I have ever bought. You save SO much money on disposables too
Yes I also do this because the blood travels further back, but I tend to leak on the sides, I think always should make the back of the night pad a bit broader!

Yeah I have this problem sometimes too and think it should get broader at the back because that is what your knickers do! I tend to wear a tight pair of knickers over the "normal" pair with the pad in so it stays in place better.
Reply 25
I don't feel comfortable wearing a tampon at night. I'd never usually leave a tampon in for more than 2 or 3 hours anyway, so I stick to pads at night. Cottons maxi pads are better than any other brand in my opinion, they don't let anything leak!
I used tampons since I started and have never had any problems using them in the night time :smile: I once put a pad on and couldn't stand it for longer than 5 minutes, it felt awful! Tampons all the way, as long as you change them regularly TSS is not an issue.
i don't like wearing a tampon at night because i get paranoid about TSS! I get some toilet role, then role it up and kinda tuck it in. hard to explain and it sounds gross but it stops leaking.

I do exactly the same after coming out the shower, before I put a freshly prepared pair of underwear on. I know exactly what you mean. Sounds weird though doesn't it... I don't tend to share that much :tongue:

And OP, I tend to just use the night pads and have never had a problem. Tampons I only use when I go swimming really. I am a wuss for TSS too ^ :tongue:

You must have quite a heavy flow, bless you :frown: I have never had that problem unless I move around too much and it hasn't stuck down properly... I would say make sure you have a good tight fitting pair of underwear, that might help :smile:
Toxic Shock Syndrome... Don't ask me to explain the symptoms and implications though, because I couldn't tell you that one. But it isn't good though, I know that one...
Bodyform I find are wayyy better than Always I find. The little man shape on the pad seems to bend and fit to your shape :smile:

'The little man shape', LOL :tongue:

Agreed, though :smile:
or wear adult nappies/goodnites on top.
I wear the kotex night ones...they're really old fashioned and thick sanitary towels but 12 years and never once had had a leak! Never worn tampons....tried them a couple of times and hated them
Original post by Ellsbells3032
I wear the kotex night ones...they're really old fashioned and thick sanitary towels but 12 years and never once had had a leak! Never worn tampons....tried them a couple of times and hated them

yeah tampons suck
I wear a night one, and some tight underwear as sometimes I move around a lot in my sleep, i've never had problems but I get quite paranoid about leaking I sometimes wake up once or twice during the night and check. :o:
I wear a normal pad as I can't get tampons in, they hurt and sting like hell, but do leak a lot. Tend to wear old pyjamas, 2/3 pairs of pants and 2 sanitary pads which do the job normally.
I work, so generally only tend to get 8 hours sleep anyway, which is the longest you can leave a tampon in. I use a tampon, but wear a pad too, just in case, as my periods err on the heavy side.
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
I work, so generally only tend to get 8 hours sleep anyway, which is the longest you can leave a tampon in. I use a tampon, but wear a pad too, just in case, as my periods err on the heavy side.

Yeah but that may still cause accidents
How so? I wear a tampon, and a pad, so on the off chance the tampno cannot absorb any more (doubtful, as I use the correct tampon for my flow) then the pad is there. Kaching. Accidents avoided.
There are a range of other unususal options--like double padding, wearing disposable underwear, or pad with adult pull-ups/goodnites.
wow, and i thought i was the only one who didnt like tampons! they really hurt putting them in, so ive just stuck with pads. those mooncups look good though, how fiddly are they to put in? thats another reason im not keen on tampons, all the blood and stuff to put them in.

Latest