The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York accommodation/college info and questions 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LawKiddo
As a warning to all students. From my experience as a student at York, the accommodation is particularly bad. St. Lawrence Court is known as the 'ghetto' of campus. Bullying, racism and harassment are rife. The accommodation office are sometimes discriminatory to students in allocation of accommodation. There are some real issues at the University.

I see your St. Lawrence Court and I raise you James N Block.

You obviously have some issues with York and posting them on every thread just makes you seem bitter. I'm glad to say your experience does not reflect my own experience, or of most of my friends.
University of York
York
Reply 1661
As a warning to all students. From my experience as a student at York, the accommodation is particularly bad. St. Lawrence Court is known as the 'ghetto' of campus. Bullying, racism and harassment are rife. The accommodation office are sometimes discriminatory to students in allocation of accommodation. There are some real issues at the University.

Rather than spam every thread with negativity, why not help those of us who are hoping to go to York by posting up details of the issues you have found with the uni.

Preferably in your own thread.
Last year my ensuite shower was really crap, the water pressure was just.. really low. Like, it just sort of slowly dripped out of the shower head, impossible to take a decent shower. did I get unlucky and get a duff one or are they all that bad? (I was in James)

I was thinking this year of buying a replacement shower head myself and swapping it see if it makes a difference.
Original post by ratchet565
Last year my ensuite shower was really crap, the water pressure was just.. really low. Like, it just sort of slowly dripped out of the shower head, impossible to take a decent shower. did I get unlucky and get a duff one or are they all that bad? (I was in James)

I was thinking this year of buying a replacement shower head myself and swapping it see if it makes a difference.

I had the same problem in 1st year but I complained to porters and they fixed it within literally 12 hours.
Reply 1664

The University's support services have been exemplary during my time here. What sort of bad experiences have you had?

More to the point- how can a system of automatic, first-come-first-served allocation discriminate towards students?
I've heard that new Langswith isn't nice, is that true? I basically want an en-suite self catered, preferably on campus so I'm thinking James (but that's really popular so actually getting a room worries me), or new Vanburgh. I was also thinking Langswith too if the rooms are nice. Any advice? I've firmed for English.
Original post by xDaisyPetalx
I've heard that new Langswith isn't nice, is that true? I basically want an en-suite self catered, preferably on campus so I'm thinking James (but that's really popular so actually getting a room worries me), or new Vanburgh. I was also thinking Langswith too if the rooms are nice. Any advice? I've firmed for English.

New Langwith doesn't technically exist yet, so I don't know how people can say it's not nice :erm: it's not opening until this year. I imagine it'll be extremely nice since it's all brand new, but it's on Hes East rather than main campus. I lived in New Vanbrugh and it was fine :smile: all ensuite rooms are very popular, so whether or not you get one will depend on how early in the day you get the emailing inviting you to apply. College matters very, very little once you actually get here, so don't worry too much about it.

I'll be doing English this year too (started last year but am having to restart this year), so hopefully see you in October!
Reply 1667
Can some one who is here at the moment help me please, which is the best college to go to ?

I would like a en suite and self catered and I probably wouldn't go if i couldn't :/

i liked Derwent when i looked round but from looking at the website it seems all the rooms a catered and if not the its for PG so quiet!

I don't want to go to a really quiet place, im not a heavy partier or anything just really loud!!

also i am studying chemistry!

thank you :smile:
Original post by mike101
I'm probably best waiting until I can apply for accomadation. I plan to go to Hes East anyway but wondered if you can specify this on the application for accomadation.

Just choose anything in Langwith or Goodricke. You should be fine cos there'll be lots of types of rooms over there - but will be incredibly popular cos of the new gym and stuff.
Seeing as the new sports centre is opening up on Hes East, does anyone know what's happening to the old one on main campus?
Reply 1670
And to add to that, does anyone know if they offer free membership to the sports centre for first years like Leeds do?
Original post by xoxjubixox
Seeing as the new sports centre is opening up on Hes East, does anyone know what's happening to the old one on main campus?

Original post by mike101
And to add to that, does anyone know if they offer free membership to the sports centre for first years like Leeds do?

The old one is staying .membership to the hes east one WILL NOT give you membership to the old one but they are going to bring down the price of the hes west one or so I hear.... First years won't get free membership or I doubt it and I didn't think Leeds students got free in first year? Do you mean the edge or gyms in halls?

(the hes east gym next year will be £35 ish a month and cheaper if you pay as a lump sum so I doubt the hes west one will be more than 10-15 squid a month.

Original post by xDaisyPetalx

All new langwith is ensuite and very nice or so we have been informed I don't know where you heard that it's not.New vanbrugh is lush.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1672
When I went to Leeds for an interview I got told there was a free gym for first years and he showed us it outside one of the corridor windows. It was close to campus is all I remember.

£35 seems steep!
Original post by mike101
When I went to Leeds for an interview I got told there was a free gym for first years and he showed us it outside one of the corridor windows. It was close to campus is all I remember.

£35 seems steep!

Ah right. not the shiny new edge gym, which costs roughly the same as the new york one

Yeah it's not cheap (unless you sign up now £24/month for students - I got mine ultra cheap for £200 the whole year) but it has a pool and the only other place that has that is David Lloyd's which is much more expensive... if you just want cheap weights you could go to ebor fitness in fulford i guess.
Original post by Aeschylus
Ah right. not the shiny new edge gym, which costs roughly the same as the new york one

Yeah it's not cheap (unless you sign up now £24/month for students - I got mine ultra cheap for £200 the whole year) but it has a pool and the only other place that has that is David Lloyd's which is much more expensive... if you just want cheap weights you could go to ebor fitness in fulford i guess.

I know you probably won't be sure of this, but do you think you'd be able to use the pool on as pay as you go basis? I'm thinking of living on main campus next year, so will probably buy membership to the old sports centre. My lectures are at Hes East though so it would be nice to be able to go for a swim before/after, while I'm there.
(edited 11 years ago)
I know you probably won't be sure of this, but do you think you'd be able to use the pool on as pay as you go basis? I'm thinking of living on main campus next year, so will probably buy membership to the old sports centre. My lectures are at main campus though so it would be nice to be able to go for a swim before/after, while I'm there.

No I inquired about that as my gf wanted to know and you can use th pool on pay-as-you-go. The gym is membership only thoigh
No I inquired about that as my gf wanted to know and you can use th pool on pay-as-you-go. The gym is membership only thoigh

Great news, thank you!
Hi everyone,

I went up to York today to check out some of the accommodation in person, and really liked New Vanbrugh. The trouble is, I really want a 39 week let, and I know that only House A does that let length in New Vanbrugh. That would be fine, except I've just seen on this about in on the uni website:

Undergraduate; Quiet block with top floor designated strictly Quiet; Resident Dean

So the whole block is meant to be quiet?! I don't want that?! And what exactly does it mean by Resident Dean? Questioning myself now, I don't want to be in a quiet block..

Argh, can anyone help in clarifying, explaining? :frown:

Edit: I know when you have a 33 week let you have to move out over Easter, but can someone clarify what happens when you move back in after Easter? Do you go in the same room, or.. just what happens? Very confused.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi everyone,

I went up to York today to check out some of the accommodation in person, and really liked New Vanbrugh. The trouble is, I really want a 39 week let, and I know that only House A does that let length in New Vanbrugh. That would be fine, except I've just seen on this about in on the uni website:

Undergraduate; Quiet block with top floor designated strictly Quiet; Resident Dean

So the whole block is meant to be quiet?! I don't want that?! And what exactly does it mean by Resident Dean? Questioning myself now, I don't want to be in a quiet block..

Argh, can anyone help in clarifying, explaining? :frown:

Edit: I know when you have a 33 week let you have to move out over Easter, but can someone clarify what happens when you move back in after Easter? Do you go in the same room, or.. just what happens? Very confused.

The 33 week let you move back into the same room after Easter. You have a small overhead cupboard where you can keep most stuff and you can leave your kitchen stuff.
The 33 week let you move back into the same room after Easter. You have a small overhead cupboard where you can keep most stuff and you can leave your kitchen stuff.

Oh right ok.. That actually makes me feel a little better. Would you say it's worth the hassle for a 33 week let? I was all for just keeping my fingers crossed that I'd get in to house A (I have an UF offer), but I want to be able to have a good time/party every now and again so I don't want to be stuck in a quiet block :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending