University Marks - 80% or more Watch

This discussion is closed.
Struggle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I wanted to know if anybody has achieved more than 80% on any of their coursework or overall for their degree. I have read about University Grading via books and about the necessarily quality of a piece of coursework to achieve such a grade of 80-90% – publishable standard. But I wanted confirmation from students as to whether this is true, and what they did to achieve such a grade – For example, hours spent on a 2000 word essay, from the very beginning to the final minute (Including research).

I also wanted to know if there is anybody here who achieved 80% or more, and what advice could you give.

Thanks.
cookiedough101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maths based modules - yes.
Essay based - very rare. Read some journals ( I do economics so some by Robert Solow or your own university research departments would be handy). An equivalent standard of that would get you 80
GiantKiwi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I received an 87% mark in my first year for a grade management system written in PHP. I Spent about 8 hours solid writing it with little or no breaks and spent 3 days removing/ fixing any bugs just to be extremely thorough.

You basically have to be in the right mindset and comfortable in your surroundings so that you wont procrastinate. And dont leave it till the last minute.
ArcadiaHouse
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
I got 78% for an essay this semester, and according to my tutor if I'd made some minor changes I could have got an even higher mark than that. I independently researched the literary theory by seeking out books on the subject from the library that weren't on the reading list, and related my findings back to the text. This is for English btw. We were told such marks were very rare so I was of course very pleased

I don't remember spending hours and hours on it, maybe just a few days before.
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've achieved about 80% if you add up all my percentages for the year if that helps at all. :dontknow:
Alterigo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Struggle)
I wanted to know if anybody has achieved more than 80% on any of their coursework or overall for their degree. I have read about University Grading via books and about the necessarily quality of a piece of coursework to achieve such a grade of 80-90% – publishable standard. But I wanted confirmation from students as to whether this is true, and what they did to achieve such a grade – For example, hours spent on a 2000 word essay, from the very beginning to the final minute (Including research).

I also wanted to know if there is anybody here who achieved 80% or more, and what advice could you give.

Thanks.
It is - this is a standard definition.

I got 80% on a piece of history coursework. It was 2000 words and included original research in primary sources and analysis. In total, I'd say it took about a minute per word to do (so, 33 hours) including the research, the reading, the thinking, and writing up.

As to advice - if what you want is a first, 70% is enough. I was totally not expecting the mark my coursework got, and I'd be willing to bet that if I'd been aiming to get a mark like that it wouldn't have happened.
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There was a bloke in the year above mine who got a 90% average for his second year in maths. The exams were piss easy compared to my year to be fair... no nasty surprises, no extreme modification of papers, no change of lecturers or new guineapig courses...
Armaros
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If 80% is publishable, what is the 100% exemplar against which essays are judged?

I'm still in school, so sorry for being of no help, I'm just curious
TlanTlan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Probably a rare work of outstanding brilliance containing much original research which can be clearly shown and proven etc.

If you actually got 100% in an essay coursework at uni you're probably a genius.
gradjobplease
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Struggle)

Thanks.
Just outdo your peers, I got 83% in a 2nd year Econometrics project and it was just from ensuring I had all the good points from everyone else's work. Knowledge sharing is key for good marks!
yoyo462001
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gradjobplease)
Just outdo your peers, I got 83% in a 2nd year Econometrics project and it was just from ensuring I had all the good points from everyone else's work. Knowledge sharing is key for good marks!
Getting 83% in applied econometrics is unfortunately not impressive and generally pretty easy. Generally anything that isn't essay based is where you can score very high marks I'd presume.
Ice_Queen
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got an 80% in one of my Masters courseworks.

Took me about a day and a half maybe? Turned out all he pretty much wanted was a list of references. I googled a load, summarised and linked them, got it back and smiled all day :p:

Moral of the story: Play to what your teacher wants to see, not just what the question asks.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've achieved 80% in one essay, and to be honest I don't know how it happened because I didn't spend all that much time on it.
Got 85% in a presentation once, too, but deserved that as we worked very hard- had six weeks to prepare and met up three times a week for ~2hours and then did individual tasks for about 30 mins per night (which is the time I spend on it, anyway).

Got 100% in a stats exam, and 96% in another, but they're maths based rather than essay based so kind of easier to score full marks on. There are right and wrong answers whereas with essays it's as much the marker's opinion, really.
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Definitely possible in maths - know a guy who averaged 98%.
Sariya
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
81 in a British Politics essay on the Anglo-American Special Relationship under the Blair government.

Hammered out in a sleepless, Relentless and Nicotine-fuelled four days of agony. I almost fainted when I got the mark.
baby sexy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've got 100% for some of my assessments - it's a maths/science based degree.
linkdapink
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
97% in a Business for Bioscientist exam!!!

Ok... so it was multiple choice open book with no negative marking. The "open book" was 4 pages long too.... I don't think anyone got less than 90!
Svenjamin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It varies so much between unis and courses, since percentage marks are pretty arbitrary a lot of the time. For my MSc almost everyone got 75-95% in their coursework, and then most people got 45-55% in their essays. Did people really soar for most the year and then fall flat at the exams? Of course not. They marked the coursework really softly and then were really harsh on the exams, but in the end it all leveled out to distinctions and merits.

That's just a very extreme example, but coursework is generally easier to get good marks than exams because lecturers want students to be in good spirits before the exams. One of my lecturers said "70% is for a very good student, 80% is for a professional who is expert in their field, 90% is for the angels and 100% is for the gods", so on principle some markers will refuse to give more than a high 80% no matter how good an essay is. It does happen though. In my year for BSc the guy who got the highest average was 85%, including 100% in two modules, but that was exceptional. Most people who got 1st class degrees got 70-75% rather than 80%+.
NW86
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
100% On Post-Feminist presentation detailing domestic abuse in New Zealand Culture.

However it's worth pointing out that while this was an essay-type subject, the presentation was given 100% because essentially it "ticked all the boxes" that the lecturer wanted but did so in detail.

I think the highest essay mark I ever picked up was a 78??? Can't really remember, and I probably wrote it in less than 6 hours including research
llacerta
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got an 85 for a coursework essay. However, the psychology department at my university seems to have a unique way of marking in which you can ONLY get, say, 85 and then the next mark below is 75- you can't get 76, 77 or anything else in between. Then it's 68, 65, 63, and so forth. Sort of like a standardised scale. 95s are rarely given out but they do happen.

In this case I'm not sure about the whole 80% and above being publishable thing, though. I doubt my coursework was of a publishable standard, but once again, this is a very different system to what a lot of other universities (and even departments within this same university) uses.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (138)
18.13%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (77)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (130)
17.08%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (109)
14.32%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.99%
How can I be the best version of myself? (231)
30.35%

Watched Threads